U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM

25 posts, read 116,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
I did not read through all of the posts on this subject. Please let me tell you what a friend of mine found out. She had a beautiful red doberman, this dog was as sweet tempered as any could be. She asked the veternarian "why is this dog not like other dobermans? And where does the bad reputation come from?". Now please keep in mind this was back in the 80's. She told me the vet told her that some breeders feed the mother gun powder or sulfer while they are pregnant, or when the pups are born they put that into their food which causes them to have the aggresive behaviour. Please ask a veternarian if this is true or not. I do not know for sure myself.
I'm not a Doberman person (they are gorgeous dogs, but too many health problems for me), but I know a couple of very very nice Dobes that excel in agility and numerous other dog sports. One owner I know tells me how rich she'd be for every time someone told her "oh, they're fine now, but once they turn on your because their brain swells because it outgrows their skull, you'll be sorry!" Right...of course, Dobermans were the pit bulls of the 70s and 80s. That's what surprised me about the movie No Country For Old Men using pit bulls to "guard" drugs for Mexican drug lords. That's a very recent phenomenon, not back in the early 80s.

As far as the gun powder thing goes, I've heard some dog fighters do that to make their dogs mean because it gives the dogs stomach ulcers, so they'll be in constant pain and be better fighters? Ugh, what will people think of next...

Quote:
As to electrophile's post. My older brother had bought a german shepard pup. It started to show some scarey aggession from the age of 2, before that he was sweet and plaful. To make the long story short the vet told my brother that the whole litter had eventually been put down. They had brain damage due to the mother being over bred.
Yes, whether through physical trauma or just bad genes/breeding, some dogs are just mentally unstable just like some people are just medically mentally unstable, even in really good homes. Fortunately, that's still pretty rare. But when people breed for looks instead of working ability (the German shepherd is a GREAT example of this), that's what you get is fearful, nervy temperaments that can turn into fear aggression. The bite from a German shepherd cowering and snarling at you in fear doesn't hurt any less than a dominant aggressive trained protection dog. And a properly trained protection dog is a lot more predictable! Like I said before, I'm a behaviorist and fear aggressive dogs are a real PITA to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 12:21 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,813,005 times
Default check this out..

kinda funny..

Dog Bites Omaha Police Officer - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/17208077/detail.html - broken link)

OMAHA, Neb. -- An Omaha police officer shot and killed a dog that he said bit him Friday night.

Police said the pit bull mix charged the officer as he responded to a report of gunshots at a home near 30th and Woolworth avenues. The officer killed the animal moments later.

The officer suffered minor injuries, but police said he is expected to recover.

The incident happened hours after Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey unveiled a proposal to crack down on dangerous dogs in the city.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:14 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,046,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
kinda funny..

Dog Bites Omaha Police Officer - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/17208077/detail.html - broken link)

OMAHA, Neb. -- An Omaha police officer shot and killed a dog that he said bit him Friday night.

Police said the pit bull mix charged the officer as he responded to a report of gunshots at a home near 30th and Woolworth avenues. The officer killed the animal moments later.

The officer suffered minor injuries, but police said he is expected to recover.

The incident happened hours after Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey unveiled a proposal to crack down on dangerous dogs in the city.

poor officer. THis is why cops have to shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to dogs. It gets a lot of families upset, but it's the only way to keep safe.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,688,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
poor officer. THis is why cops have to shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to dogs. It gets a lot of families upset, but it's the only way to keep safe.
No, they shouldn't do that, my dog is big but she would never bite, shes afraid of just about everything actually, loud noises, other dogs etc.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
Looftie,
I do not usually reply to these post or post things myself, but when I read your comments I felt somethings needed to be said.
I think your comment about the breed being the problem is completely ignorant. No matter what type of dog it is the responsibility of the owner to train them properly and teach them to be kind. If you raise a dog to be mean and dangerous then that is the way they are going to be. Pit bulls happen to be a very strong dog that are ideal for fighting so of course irresponsibe and careless people are going to pick this breed over any other if that is their plan for the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or