U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:38 PM

673 posts, read 3,748,522 times

Advertisements

I think Omaha should consolidate with Douglas County. Omaha needs to expand that tax base and annexing property-rich areas is a good way to increase services without raising property taxes on existing homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,814,172 times
Default I agree mattden

I think the Nebraska legislature should allow Omaha to be able to annex from other counties... if... Omaha and Douglas county were to consolidate... but the problem here is that, in order for this to happen, the Douglas County government leaders are going to have to approve this and then lose some jobs and we all know how likely this is going to happen :-\ but I agree that it just makes too much sense :-)

Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 AM

23 posts, read 70,667 times
I realize this is an old post, but I'm moving to Omaha in September and wanted to comment on some of Mattden's contributions. Currently, I live in upstate NY in the small town of Utica. Mattden...if you'd like to find a city to experience with "unbias", I suggest this place. Truly this is a town that by all rights, ought to be closed up for good. This year alone, in our small town, we've lost two young police officers (shot in cold blood) by the same group of undesirables. This is a town of less than 50,000...I knew both of these young men. New business cannot come here because of the insane taxation, and bureaucratic b.s. that surrounds any potential change. A trip to the local golf course will find you looking at a foursome comprised of a lawyer, a judge, a police officer, and a drug dealer. I have given this little town 4 years of my "unbiased" observation...and it's in a sad, sad state. You can pull up any statistics you like. Information is easily manipulated for the sake of one's argument... Which brings me to this point: I believe your experience in Omaha was, all that you state. But that's not without bias. You reference Colorado time and time again, but do you remember how purely unattractive, depressing, and crime infested Denver was only 15 years ago? People used to talk of Philly, Denver and NYC with the same kind of disdain...people used to talk about your Colorado towns, in fact, the way you speak of Omaha. There's a quote out there...Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you are correct. As is the truth with observation. It's all relative Mattden. I like Omaha. I'm 30, single, educated, attractive, and have a passion for all of the fun-stuff in life. Omaha suits me just fine... And trust me, something about Omaha is this---It's good with it's identity. Omaha will always welcome someone new, but it doesn't NEED to. It chooses to.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 PM

482 posts, read 2,037,987 times
Thank you Talyamc. I just gave you a point for you words.

Welcome to Nebraska and I hope that you take in more than just Omaha. You will find most Nebraskans friendly and will welcome you warmly.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 AM

23 posts, read 70,667 times
Thanks for the point. I'll be arriving in Omaha the first week of September. I'm looking forward to the change. I'm in the process of securing a home in Elkhorn. It's a nice little area. I have a feeling my four legged bud and I will be very content!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:54 AM

482 posts, read 2,037,987 times
Elkhorn very good choice and I am sure that you will like it there.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM

884 posts, read 757,457 times
Are you kidding me? North Omaha is a safe place? I think your TV must not recieve local news channels. North Omaha is plagued with random/gang related violence and its no secret. Often times the violence ends in homicides. There is no justification for anyone to say north Omaha is safe. If kidnappings/rapes/murders/theft dont make a dangerous neighborhood then I couldn't imagine your idea of a dangerous neighborhood. The sad thing is those crimes happen VERY often. I feel sorry for all the good people who live in that area with all the thugs.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:59 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,194,102 times
You just said it yourself. ALL OF THE GOOD PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE with all of the thugs.

I've lived in North Omaha longer than any part of Omaha and in 20+ years never had problems with theft, rape, murder, shooting, or gangs. A very small number of people make things bad for the majority. Having lived there I can honestly say it's not as bad as people make it sound. Crime happens. It's not neighborhoods that are bad. It's people.

And don't think that other parts of Omaha are immune. When I did live out west we had someone set our apartment building on fire twice and someone threaten to shoot us gun in hand. The Police would not come becuase they said pointing a gun at someone and saying you're going to shoot them isn't a crime. Had this not been John Smith of west Omaha but Tyrell Jones of North Omaha, the police would have lit his ass up whether he shot anyone or not. All of this stuff my mom called into the news too but they didn't think it was newsworthy enough. There is obviously selective reporting that goes on in this city.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 AM

884 posts, read 757,457 times
Selective news reporting or not just taqke a look at the crime statistics city wide. North Omaha is by far the leader in violent crimes. Comes down to a simple equation- Poverty Breeds Crime. North Omaha has a great deal of poverty and therefore has a great deal of crime.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:13 PM

422 posts, read 1,069,199 times
Just curious, I had a friend go to downtown Omaha recently and he said it was like a ghost town at night. What kinds of things is there to do in downtown at night? as far as performing arts, clubs, are there alot of condos downtown? Well, I know it probaly isnt as exciting as what Im used to in downtown Minnapolis, but is there some night life? Not trying to dis Omaha or anything, but just asking.
Oh and you forgot one negative thing about Omaha (being right across the river from Iowa!) JK. We have a rivalry here between Minnesota and Iowa. Im assuming you probably have the same thing down there.
Peace out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or