U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,532 times

Advertisements

Omaha sucks!! Plain and simple. My husband is military and we have lived in various other metro areas and I am ashamed to tell my friends and family that he is stationed at awful Offutt!!! Every other place we have lived, it has been a breeze finding a rental house for a reasonable price. Due to the OUTRAGEOUS property taxes here though....anything that rents for say $1100-$1200 in other metros, Phoenix, Denver, Colorado Springs, Pensacola, etc goes for $1800-$1900 here.....being stuck in an apartment sucks!! There is nothing to do here other than eat and shop and the weather is either WAY too hot, too overcast or too f*ing cold to do anything. People here are not friendly, very redneck.....I can't wait to ditch this he**hole!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,532 times
One good thing I can say about Omaha though, is the unemployment is really low......it only took me 10 days after getting here to get a job of my own! Employer's here must be desperate for people...but if they want to keep them, the pay scale needs to come up.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,714,156 times
Well..... I'm tempted to say something way more rude than this but I'd rather not earn an infraction. Only boring people become bored. Do you expect fun to come find you and say "Look! Come have fun over here! Yayyy!!" C'est la vie. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.... actually do.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 PM

13,944 posts, read 19,189,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Well..... I'm tempted to say something way more rude than this but I'd rather not earn an infraction. Only boring people become bored. Do you expect fun to come find you and say "Look! Come have fun over here! Yayyy!!" C'est la vie. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.... actually do.
This person just claimed that Omaha has a higher cost of living then Denver (absolutely laughable) and called one of the more desirable Air Force bases in America "awful". There is literally nothing we could say that would make her look any dumber than she already is.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM

13,425 posts, read 17,005,761 times
I thought Omaha had nice freeways when I drove thru there couple of weeks ago. :-) But the rest of Nebraska -- especially the further west you go -- does indeed suck. Ugliest state in the U.S.? Quite possibly ... even Lincoln was a dump.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:57 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,430,920 times
Please, please keep telling people that, Newsboy.

Please don't ever leave the freeways and explore all that Nebraska has to offer, from the tumbling ice-cold rivers that are great to tube on or fish from (and get more than mud-cats and gators; real fish like bass and trout), the wildlife that all the hunters drool over from turkeys to antelopes. Don't ever come off of the interstate to see the wide expanses of the rolling and majestic Sandhills, the wonderful, hard-working, friendly and decent people with real values who are honest and straightforward and independent. Please stay on the interstates and never go to adorable Chadron, Carhenge, Lake McConaughy, Merritt Dam, visit the museums and learn about the history, drop in on the Fur Trade Museum, or any of the other interesting and magnificent (and yes TIC humorous) places that are all over Nebraska if you'd bothered to look. Please, stick to the brand-name motels, chain restaurants, and WalMarts and KMarts and Targets. Don't stop and notice that the water is pure and clear - unlike the Savannah River or the saltwater-intruded Floridian aquifer - that the beef is fork-tender, grass-fed, and raised by hardworking 70-hour-a-week "redneck" ranchers with college degrees, who emphasize quality over quantity, and who are real "environmentalists" because it makes sense for the animals and the land. Please don't even sip the local wines that are garnering international fame for their quality. Please don't notice that most of the students who graduate get thousands of dollars in scholarships based on foolish and fleeting things like scholastic achievement and excellence in speech, literature, drama, art, math, computer technology, and the sciences; unlike Atlanta where they have to cheat on the standardized tests for the past 10 years. And the next time you pass thru, please take Summer fungal 0827 with you when you go - I'm sure she'd appreciate the ride to wherever it is that would suit her better as well. Those who cannot appreciate these things, or think that they are not important or worthwhile, or who cannot see the hilltops for the treetops, certainly should not stay, or even visit, this vast, poor, redneck wasteland.

Thanks, DTO Luv and Brad and others for the glorious city pics!

Last edited by SCGranny; 07-18-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerfungal0827 View Post
Omaha sucks!! Plain and simple. My husband is military and we have lived in various other metro areas and I am ashamed to tell my friends and family that he is stationed at awful Offutt!!! Every other place we have lived, it has been a breeze finding a rental house for a reasonable price. Due to the OUTRAGEOUS property taxes here though....anything that rents for say $1100-$1200 in other metros, Phoenix, Denver, Colorado Springs, Pensacola, etc goes for $1800-$1900 here.....being stuck in an apartment sucks!! There is nothing to do here other than eat and shop and the weather is either WAY too hot, too overcast or too f*ing cold to do anything. People here are not friendly, very redneck.....I can't wait to ditch this he**hole!!
Um, Pensacola is the center of the "Redneck Riviera", and Phoenix and Colorado Springs aren't far behind, so I don't buy your "redneck" label. Honey, there are few organization on the face of the earth more redneck than the US military, and most military towns are far worse than Bellevue. You really need to get out of Bellevue more often. Have you even made the attempt to explore other parts of Omaha? Granted, if you're a surfer or a mountain climber I can understand your dilemma. I've lived in 6 cities much larger than Omaha, and currently live in the D.C. metro area. I think Omaha has a lot to offer for its size.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 AM

816 posts, read 1,421,811 times
Quote:
You really need to look around more if that's what you think!

While the actual property tax rate is high compare to other cities, because housing in Omaha can be on average three quarters to one half of other cities in Omaha's class it works out to about average.

As for apartments, I guess that's a matter of opinion. But they are a fact of life in a larger city (and will only grow as Omaha grows). Having only small one family housing in a city would be detrimental to it's health. You simply have to have some medium and high density development in a city of Omaha's class, and that means apartments. Though looking online I was quickly able to find many nice, new homes for under 1500 a month and some older, but still nice, houses for under 1000.

The fact you think Omaha only offers shopping and restaurants proves you did nothing but look for a reason to complain!

try this link...
Culture of Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lastly, Forbes disagrees with you in every way! They named Omaha as the most affordable city in 2011.

America's Most Affordable Cities - Forbes.com

Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM

177 posts, read 376,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I thought Omaha had nice freeways when I drove thru there couple of weeks ago. :-) But the rest of Nebraska -- especially the further west you go -- does indeed suck. Ugliest state in the U.S.? Quite possibly ... even Lincoln was a dump.

Are you for real? Since I am very familiar with where you're from, that would be like me saying that Montgomery Street from I-516 to Gaston St. is representative of the entire city of Savannah, making it one of the ugliest places in the U.S.

You cannot accurately judge Omaha or anywhere in this state without getting off and away from the freeway, believe me!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,678,744 times
Quote:
So sad to be so negative that it blinds you to the positives a city like Omaha offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or