U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,487,930 times

Advertisements

Heres an ooops that happenened to DH and me.
DH called the PD, there had been an abandoned vehicle parked outside the property for at least 6 weeks. Numarous calls had been made from several neighbors trying to get it removed. So DH put in another call, an officer came by, DH had moved the company van he uses onto the grass in our yard so I could go to the grocery store only 2 minutes before the officer came by. Officer starts writing a ticket for DH, explained that the vehicle on the grass was against ordinance such and such. (We didn't know, and I know ignorance of the law is no excuse). DH explained that he had just moved it out of the way so I could get out. Officer decided if van gets moved to the road the ticket will not be issued. Whew!!!! van got moved quickly. Neighbors vehicles were marked to get towed, they were also parked on their lawn. Finally tow truck showed up (and officer did wait fir the T T) and the abandoned vehicle was towed away.
So fellow Omahans please please please do not park on the grass. Your own or anyone elses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 02:01 AM

303 posts, read 881,040 times
A rep for you! I did not know that! I whip my van out to the side which is grass as well when my wife needs to take her van. To save time and maybe partially laziness on my part, I have been guilty of this. Never again! Thanks, and I am glad he was spared the ticket.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 AM

Thank You Victor;

Funny thing is our neighbor wanted to sell his car, had no place in his yard to put it. We let him park it on our grass and it was there for one whole year Luckily he sold it before this incident.
Glad the info is helpful.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,060,865 times
It really depends on the neighborhood. I had a roommate that was kind of a gear-head. He went out and bought 3 junk cars to part 'em out to sell. He put 2 of them in the front yard. Our neighbors were a little ticked off (possibly with good reason). One day while we were both at work the city came and towed his 2 vehicles away and the one in the drive that was not licensed.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:22 AM

736 posts, read 1,661,444 times
Officer starts writing a ticket for DH, explained that the vehicle on the grass was against ordinance such and such. (We didn't know, and I know ignorance of the law is no excuse). DH explained that he had just moved it out of the way so I could get out. Officer decided if van gets moved to the road the ticket will not be issued. Whew!!!! van got moved quickly. Neighbors vehicles were marked to get towed, they were also parked on their lawn. Finally tow truck showed up (and officer did wait fir the T T) and the abandoned vehicle was towed away.

That officer should have asked you to move your van and explain the ordinance before he or she even started to write out a ticket to you. You called them out, you were not called on by another neighbor.

I feel that is poor communication skills on the police. that situation was handled poorly on the Police's part. If he or she would have done it correctly you would not be upset enough to write a post about it. I love the discussion
thou.

I "think" that the officer was wrong in wanting to write you on the van parked in the grass.....Was the van properly licenced and insured?
If it was, you have every right to park in on the grass, only if it's not licenced it cannot be park on grass. It needs to be on pad concrete pad.

I could be wrong,

Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,044,317 times
I don't think the cop was in the wrong. He got a call to ticket a car parked incorrectly, and began to ticket every car parked incorrectly in the area to avoid missing the one that was complained about. He doesn't have the time to go knocking on doors to find the owners of each vehicle.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 AM

I appreciate the replies here. Thank You.
At first we were mad, got over it and was able to be rational. Officer was doing their job. I agree it would have been better if officer explained that we were also in the wrong as to the van on the grass (yes it is properly registered and insured). But I imagine that an officer of the law cannot come out and take care of one offence and leave the other four or five alone. That would leave a very negative impact within the community. Just time to make our driveway wider I guess. Truthfully I am totally unaware of what our city ordinances are. I've tried to read up but there are soooooo many. So I figured I'd post about our lesson learned. One down and hundreds more to go.

Oh the vehicle that was called about in the first place had been there 6 weeks, and many neighbors complained. They were told it would be considered abandoned and towed out on 7/14. We get a large volume of abandoned vehicles out here. Once so far one had been reported stolen a couple days prior to the abandenment.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 PM

226 posts, read 915,358 times
Yea, I hate some of Omaha's ordinances I have gotten plenty of yellow stickers on my cars... Its only Omaha though, if you live in council bluffs or in sarpy county, then its ok to park on your lawn...

I don't know how its constitutional for the city to tell you that you cant park your vehicle on your own property if its on your lawn... Perhaps someone needs to file a lawsuit to get this corrected...

Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 AM

475 posts, read 2,034,905 times
Quote:
Its only Omaha though, if you live in council bluffs or in sarpy county, then its ok to park on your lawn..
I can't speak for Council Bluffs or other parts of Sarpy County... but I know for a fact that Papillion has tougher parking ordinances than the city of Omaha... and they are enforced strictly. In Papillion you can't even park a disabled car in your -driveway- for more than 10 days without moving it. A colleage of mine received such a cititation after the police apparently marked his tire and then decided that it had been static for too long in his own drive way.

Look at some of these Papillion ordinances and you'll find they are more strict than the city of Omaha...

http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/papillion/published_documents/Planning%20Department/Regulations/Zoning_New/Chapter%20205%20Article%20XXXVI.pdf (broken link)

Personally... I welcome these types of ordinances.. otherwise we end up with trashy looking yards.

A situation I saw once in an old neighborhood of mine would almost make for some good Jeff Foxworthy material... "If took the top off to renovate a convertible, and you park it under the tree to keep it from getting wet when it rains... you might be a redneck."

Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM

I Thank You socitysrebel and star-gazer for your replies. The 10 day disabled vehicle is supposed to be in effect here as well. For as little as I drive I'm surprised my 07 Honda Civic hasn't been mistaken as disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha