U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Mayor has done the most for Omaha?
Hal Daub 11 57.89%
Mike Fahey 6 31.58%
Other 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,688,982 times

Advertisements

Who cares what party they belong too, as long as they do good things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 06:19 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,071,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I really don't think that is an appropriate thing to say for a man who has done so much for the entire city of Omaha..

You just don't like him because he is not a republican.. Why can't people give credit where it is due.. sheesh...

umm....no. you really have no idea what I think about the man. please don't try to say what I believe and don't believe.

The fact that Fahey appointed the brother of Brenda Council police chief kind of ticked me off. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when Chambers went off about Warren.

What exactly has he accomplished? Besides the stadium?

Fahey has pushed through this stadium thing regardless of what the people want. Regardless of the fact that it has been said that if they renovated Rosenblatt that they'd be able to keep the CWS.

I don't like the fact that Fahey is apparently more concerned about his legacy than what's right for the city.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 PM

Most people wanted the stadium, ever heard of a vocal minority?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 PM

actually...i'm not really sure most folks wanted it.

in any event, the mayor lied--we didn't have to have it to keep the CWS. he wasn't telling the whole truth. we could have kept it by renovating rosenblatt.

I loved the idea of a new stadium, too....but if we could get away with spending a LOT less...we should have.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,813,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
actually...i'm not really sure most folks wanted it.

in any event, the mayor lied--we didn't have to have it to keep the CWS. he wasn't telling the whole truth. we could have kept it by renovating rosenblatt.

I loved the idea of a new stadium, too....but if we could get away with spending a LOT less...we should have.

The mayor never did lie.. That is just a silly rumor started by the new stadium opposition..

The mayor was critical in starting redevelopment efforts in North Omaha which is a massive effort to have it become an economicly viable community, and is building on the strengths of South Omaha to enhance its economic viability with some redevelopment efforts..

He's also an essential role player in developing a new center for homeless people to not only have a place to stay during the day, but it will also train them in how to get back into society..

He's also an essential role player in starting a redevelopment effort for the old downtown Benson..

He's also an essential role player in starting a movement for alternative transportation methods including a streetcar system and new busing routes..

He's also part of the effort to start a city-wide standards called 'Omaha-by-design' which was created with a lot of effort and was praised by the US chamber of commerce..

The stadium issue stirred emotions with the rosenblatt supporters, which I can understand.. But some of the things they said was terrible and were only trying to lash out at the mayor..

Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 PM

I Think South Omaha gets way more from the zoo then from Roosenblatt, and the zoo is whats being expanded because of Roosenblatt being torn down.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
The mayor never did lie.. That is just a silly rumor started by the new stadium opposition..
He was certainly less than forthcoming. I think he presented the idea of the stadium to the NCAA and they certainly weren't going to turn it down.
Quote:
The mayor was critical in starting redevelopment efforts in North Omaha which is a massive effort to have it become an economicly viable community, and is building on the strengths of South Omaha to enhance its economic viability with some redevelopment efforts..
Didn't Daub start the whole North Omaha/riverfront re-development? Not saying I'm a Daub fanboy...but I really think he started it.
Quote:
He's also an essential role player in developing a new center for homeless people to not only have a place to stay during the day, but it will also train them in how to get back into society..
Someone very close to me spent 6 months in a homeless shelter going through drug/alcohol rehab. Believe me when I say that I'm not trying to be a jerk...but another homeless shelter in Omaha is not necessarily a great thing. If you build it, they will come. Some people choose to live that way, and don't want to "get back into society".
Quote:
He's also an essential role player in starting a redevelopment effort for the old downtown Benson..
He kept the ball rolling that was moving before he got into office.
Quote:
He's also an essential role player in starting a movement for alternative transportation methods including a streetcar system and new busing routes..
I'll go with that. Didn't Daub bring up the idea when he was in office, though? Of course, his might have been the lame trolley/bus idea instead of an actual street car.
Quote:
He's also part of the effort to start a city-wide standards called 'Omaha-by-design' which was created with a lot of effort and was praised by the US chamber of commerce..
Ok. I'll go with that one. Kudos to Fahey.
Quote:
The stadium issue stirred emotions with the rosenblatt supporters, which I can understand.. But some of the things they said was terrible and were only trying to lash out at the mayor..
I'm not really one of "those supporters". I'm not a huge fan of rosenblatt. The parking down there is horrible....there are no hotels in the area for out of town fans....it's old....blah blah blah.

But I really think there was a better way to do it than build a new one. I firmly believe that Fahey was less than honest with the Omaha people.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
He was certainly less than forthcoming. I think he presented the idea of the stadium to the NCAA and they certainly weren't going to turn it down.

Didn't Daub start the whole North Omaha/riverfront re-development? Not saying I'm a Daub fanboy...but I really think he started it.

Someone very close to me spent 6 months in a homeless shelter going through drug/alcohol rehab. Believe me when I say that I'm not trying to be a jerk...but another homeless shelter in Omaha is not necessarily a great thing. If you build it, they will come. Some people choose to live that way, and don't want to "get back into society".

He kept the ball rolling that was moving before he got into office.

I'll go with that. Didn't Daub bring up the idea when he was in office, though? Of course, his might have been the lame trolley/bus idea instead of an actual street car.

Ok. I'll go with that one. Kudos to Fahey.

I'm not really one of "those supporters". I'm not a huge fan of rosenblatt. The parking down there is horrible....there are no hotels in the area for out of town fans....it's old....blah blah blah.

But I really think there was a better way to do it than build a new one. I firmly believe that Fahey was less than honest with the Omaha people.

What a load! Daub never started any of those efforts.. He didn't even start the downtown redevelopment efforts, but did start 'back to the riverfront'

Daub did very well, but he absolutely did not start those other redevelopment efforts.. Fahey did it.. Oh yeah, and it was Daub who got the Qwest Center completed in... gasp... NoDo! That means that, gulp, Daub is part of the horrendous city-wide democrat conspiracy!

Just like the rich chose to be rich, therefore they should be taxed more because it is a 100 year tradition..

Old 09-01-2008, 08:33 PM

I'm not suggesting any kind of "horrendous city-wide democrat conspiracy".

But I do think Daub kind of started the whole re-development idea of going 'back to the river'. Fahey just kept it going with a new stadium, and the other stuff.

But don't worry...I'm hardly a Daub fanboy.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not suggesting any kind of "horrendous city-wide democrat conspiracy".

But I do think Daub kind of started the whole re-development idea of going 'back to the river'. Fahey just kept it going with a new stadium, and the other stuff.

But don't worry...I'm hardly a Daub fanboy.

I actually do like Hal Daub! I think he was a fantastic mayor..

The back to the riverfront started with the mayor before Daub, believe it or not.. But Daub pushed for advanced legislation and so did Ben Nelson when he was governer and the same with Mike Johanns and all is history now..

It has taken years to build the moment we have gained.. And Fahey has been a huge part of allowing the momentum to swing even more..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or