Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,868 times

Advertisements

Personally.... LA has way too many people for me. I live in Portland now, which isn't much larger than Omaha so I can't even imagine living in LA. Omaha has the same things as any city, maybe not as much as a large city but there is still something for everyone. Think about this... moving to Omaha will be a change, but you won't be stuck in traffic for hours, waiting in line for hours, cost of living is affordable and jobs are high paying meaning you can afford to go back to California as many times as you want. Honestly, id rather live in the midwest, and get to travel more often. Since I lived on the west coast, everything is move expensive. I'd take 400,000 people over 4 million anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,291 times
You know... Portland has a metro of over 2 million people.

Certainly way smaller than LA... but still way larger than Omaha.

I would love to live in Portland if I could afford it (and it had a few more clear nights)

Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
I have come to realize that the Mexican restaurants in Omaha including the "authentic" ones must specialize in Mexican cuisine from regions in Mexico I have never visited and must also be regions that none of my husband's family are from (his family members who visited us during our time in Omaha were all anywhere from 2nd to 4th generation American, so not too far removed from their cultural roots) nor regions from which any of my friends from other states who visited us originated. Otherwise I am not sure why it does not match up with the Mexican cuisine in any of our life experiences. (There is Mexican food and there is also Tex-Mex food; I love them both, but never found either in Omaha that was similar.) I am not sure what causes the difference as I am well aware (through doing ESL tutoring, among other things) that there are Mexican immigrants in the area, but there is indeed a difference. I am not sure where the owners of the restaurants hail from that would make the food so vastly different (or make them think coleslaw is a viable side for any type of Mexican food... or serve carne guisada without any gravy... or serve carne asada as one big piece of meat...). El Aguila, El Alamo, you name it - we tried anyplace that anyone in Omaha touted to us as being good Mexican food; if we took out-of-town visitors with us that eat and/or prepare Mexican food on a regular, if not daily, basis, they pretty much pitied us.
I will say that Alvarado's is about the closest we found.
Again, I am sure it has to be a regional thing, but I just don't know what the region(s) would be because between my husband's family and my friends from other states who visited us, they had pretty much all of Mexico covered.
I would never eat Mexican food in Omaha or anywhere else outside the southwest.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I would never eat Mexican food in Omaha or anywhere else outside the southwest.
Why? There are a number of first generation folks from Mexico that have opened great little restraunts.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:02 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Did you try the various ones on South 24th between L and Q? All of those are first generation family run.
Yep. I did ESL tutoring near the area, so that was the area we tried first.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
You know... Portland has a metro of over 2 million people.

Certainly way smaller than LA... but still way larger than Omaha.

I would love to live in Portland if I could afford it (and it had a few more clear nights)
I don't really think I can afford it, I just manage. Still miss Omaha though.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Why? There are a number of first generation folks from Mexico that have opened great little restraunts.
I only eat Mexican food in "Chicano territory"! Which means:

California
Texas
Arizona
New Mexico
Nevada
Colorado

Old 09-07-2008, 05:14 PM

262 posts, read 1,025,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I only eat Mexican food in "Chicano territory"! Which means:

California
Texas
Arizona
New Mexico
Nevada
Colorado
It's pretty humorous to see someone that is elitist over such trivial bull****.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,832 times
Yeah so what if we have a Mexican Consulate, whole parts of town that are ESL. So what if this is one of Telemundo's focus markets. The only one NOT in the Southwest. I guess we just don't have enough of a Hispanic influence in Omaha. Viva La Raza.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtz05 View Post
Hello everyone! So here's the deal....my boss has decided that he wants his LA staff to move and stay in Omaha. I've visited Omaha a couple of times and overall it seems fairly nice and calm, but I was a bit shocked to see little or no diversity. Mostly white people which is new to me since the cities I've lived in are filled with different cultures all meshed into one city or community. This makes me a bit hesitant because I'd hate anyone to view me as an 'illegal' or look at me funny (I am Mexican and so is my boyfriend and we were both born in the US). I'm scared and uncomfortable as to how the people will view/welcome us. We want to make friends and be comfortable.

Also, I know Omaha is not LA and I've never been too much of a party-goer but I'm also worried about the nightlife and activities in Omaha. I know the city is family oriented but I'm not planning on having children any time soon. Is there much of a 'scene' or things to do for young people? I hate to sound snobby but I have to also ask....how's the shopping there? We hate to move into a nice city with nice people and be bored. Also, is there much to do during those very long and cold winters??

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
long and cold winters, yes, much to do, anyone can find things to do if you try and will you be accepted?My view on this has always been, that is up to you. If you go there with a chip on your shoulder or try to compare everything with the area you just left, you will not be accepted and you will be miserable. If you look at this as a new experience you will find it a wonderful place. By the way, Omaha isn't the end of the world for heavens sake, it is a major city with good restaurants, shopping, yes, night life and yes, family oriented but do you think everyone who lives there has 10 kids and are all stay at home moms?

Now when you think about good Mexican food? Well, I think that would be like here in NWA, after growing up in Los Angeles and living both in NM and Texas, it is almost impossible to get really good Mexican food. By the way, like Omaha, we have a large population of Hispanics here. I don't think there are many places in the lower 48 that do not have a Mexican population.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha