U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM

475 posts, read 1,526,281 times
I have to say though... the best Mexican I ever had was in Sault Saint Marie, Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 04:54 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,870,506 times
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
I have to say though... the best Mexican I ever had was in Sault Saint Marie, Ontario.

hmmm.... I am a mexican food junkie, but I unfortunately have only tried resteraunts in Nebraska, KC, Des Moines, Minneapolis, San Diego, Las Vegas, San Luis Obispo and San Fransisco...

I could easily say that my favorit is El Aguila's or Roja's in Omaha.. With that said, it would be very unfair of me to say that our mexican food is better overall because I really haven't even began to try a fraction of all of them in any metro... Heck, I doubt I've eaten at more than 10% (which is a lot) in Omaha (I am satisfied with the collection I go to now)...

Diversity in Omaha is not at the level in LA.. However, with that stated, diversity in Omaha is not an issue in the least sense.. Especially when Omaha is noticing an ever increasing amount of population growth and one of the smallest ethnic growth rates in Omaha belong to caucasions and the place has above average black population 'in the city limits' and is growing rapidly in pretty much all diverse categories which includes a large scale influx of international migration...

Even if you don't consider Omaha diverse because it is not as diverse as LA.. It is still above average diversity wise and is rapidly becoming more than ever.. I wouldn't worry about diversity here, nor the night life for that matter!!

Well.. I guess if you really want to stay up later than 2AM (Council Bluffs has many options till this time) or 1AM in Omaha, then your probably going to be disapointed.. However, if you are willing to comprimise with that time (until it changes, if it changes, as the goal is to change it to 3AM), then you will enjoy a very wide area of excellent facilities/arts/music/sports/concerts/resteraunts/festivals etc.. etc..

check out Greater Omaha Economic Development Partnership
OmahaNightlife.com : - Omaha Bars & Clubs | Dining | Events Calendar | Concerts
City Weekly

and these places would be a healthy start for you.. Oh and don't worry about the winter.. for the most part it is so transitional that the truly uncomfortable part lasts maybe at most a couple of months.. and with the lack of heat/humidity in comparison to a large majority of the US, I think it offsets it very well..

Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM

17 posts, read 40,241 times
I'm a latina and just moved to Omaha. I lived in the Twin Cities, MN for 6 years and I do see segregation in Omaha. Is not that people are not going to talk with you because you are mexican... is just that... how can I put it... South Omaha is for latinos, North Omaha is for blacks and the suburbs are for whites. The area where there is more variety is Midtown (Dundee, Gold Coast, Downtown, Old Market).

I do believe Omaha is a great place to live... its just different.

About the winters... what can I tell you... I'm moving from a colder state... you'll get used to it. Sledding if very fun!!

And I cannot tell you about nightlife... I have two children. And shopping... believe me... buy everything you need before moving... there is a limited variety of things. There is a supermercado latino though... we didn't have one in MN, so I like that. There is a big latin community here... great restaurants!!

Good luck in your move and if you have to choose a place to live: Old Market... it's beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha