U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,918 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! So here's the deal....my boss has decided that he wants his LA staff to move and stay in Omaha. I've visited Omaha a couple of times and overall it seems fairly nice and calm, but I was a bit shocked to see little or no diversity. Mostly white people which is new to me since the cities I've lived in are filled with different cultures all meshed into one city or community. This makes me a bit hesitant because I'd hate anyone to view me as an 'illegal' or look at me funny (I am Mexican and so is my boyfriend and we were both born in the US). I'm scared and uncomfortable as to how the people will view/welcome us. We want to make friends and be comfortable.

Also, I know Omaha is not LA and I've never been too much of a party-goer but I'm also worried about the nightlife and activities in Omaha. I know the city is family oriented but I'm not planning on having children any time soon. Is there much of a 'scene' or things to do for young people? I hate to sound snobby but I have to also ask....how's the shopping there? We hate to move into a nice city with nice people and be bored. Also, is there much to do during those very long and cold winters??

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,540,712 times
There is a lot of folks with a Hispanic background and culture from Mexico... if you want to actually live in the culture there is a whole community of first generation folks with a very vibrant and growing business area centered around 24th and L Street... take a look at this link for the South Omaha Business Assoc.

I live in a town on the southern edge of the Metro called Papillion.. there is also Bellevue and Lavista... all three have a heavy influence from the military base (Offut) and as a result has some diversity since the military brings folks in from around the nation (and the world)... people are really accepted in those areas because of the military influence since the '50's.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:34 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,817,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtz05 View Post
Hello everyone! So here's the deal....my boss has decided that he wants his LA staff to move and stay in Omaha. I've visited Omaha a couple of times and overall it seems fairly nice and calm, but I was a bit shocked to see little or no diversity. Mostly white people which is new to me since the cities I've lived in are filled with different cultures all meshed into one city or community. This makes me a bit hesitant because I'd hate anyone to view me as an 'illegal' or look at me funny (I am Mexican and so is my boyfriend and we were both born in the US). I'm scared and uncomfortable as to how the people will view/welcome us. We want to make friends and be comfortable.

Also, I know Omaha is not LA and I've never been too much of a party-goer but I'm also worried about the nightlife and activities in Omaha. I know the city is family oriented but I'm not planning on having children any time soon. Is there much of a 'scene' or things to do for young people? I hate to sound snobby but I have to also ask....how's the shopping there? We hate to move into a nice city with nice people and be bored. Also, is there much to do during those very long and cold winters??

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Don't worry about the night-life or things to do.. This city has a nice variety of things to do.. you'll enjoy it!

Concerts, arts, festivals, sporting events, performing arts centers, parks, great resteraunts.. And a very healthy variety of each as well..

Old 08-29-2008, 04:53 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,702,611 times
Downtown is quiet diverse and I don't think anyone will mind you being Mexican. The malls are in West Omaha and in La Vista and Papillion and the Old Market downtown has quite a bit to. And for some reason we get a lot of people from LA who move here so you won't be alone.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:30 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,650,642 times
There is much more diverse than many give it credit if for. As for you Mexican background...umm...that will absolutely NOT be an issue at all. Omaha has a vibrant hispanic community.

You'll be pretty surprised with the diversity and number of things to do in Omaha. Omaha gets a bad rap for some reason. Granted its no L.A. in that regard, but its a vibrant, growing community metro area approaching a population of about 1 million.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 PM

536 posts, read 1,948,843 times
There are tons of latinos in Omaha, not like LA but enough to feel welcome there. There is a whole neighborhood in spanish, with some of the best mexican food i've ever had. I don't think Omaha is "white". I live in one of the whitest cities per capita now, and Omaha seems like another country compared to here.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,198,926 times
If you spent a lot of time in the western parts of Omaha it may seem pretty white but the eastern half of the city is much more diverse. We have a large hispanic population, the largest Sudanese population in the country, many Africans; I see a lot of them out grocery shopping and carrying groceries on their heads. We also have many ethnic grocery stores too.

Being single myself, I go out all the time. I've got a good group of single and childless friends to hang with so I'm never bored.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 PM

516 posts, read 1,211,897 times
Before you come make sure to eat lots and lots of delicious fish tacos, because you won't find any here. I recommend the salmon ones at La Taqueza at 30th and Figueroa. Now I am jealous of you just thinking about it...

Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,817,698 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Before you come make sure to eat lots and lots of delicious fish tacos, because you won't find any here. I recommend the salmon ones at La Taqueza at 30th and Figueroa. Now I am jealous of you just thinking about it...

El Aguila is fantastic.. The resteraunt was started by a mexican immigrant.. And I tell you they have some great food there!!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,198,926 times
There are tons of places in town to get good Mexican food.

Stacy I don't where you've been couped up in Omaha but you really need to get out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or