U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 63,440 times

Advertisements

It depends on the atmosphere you want your kids in. Elkhorn is still a very small school, like you would find in a small town. Millard North, where I went, is very upity an extremely crowded. Millard South is very laid back and just a lil crowded, and Millard West is right in the middle of the two. I do know Millard North is still a huge drug school since my younger brother just graduated from there, but it is also by far the best football school in the state.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:08 PM

475 posts, read 2,035,030 times
I wonder how many of our friends from 'very small schools' elsewhere in Nebraska would relate to an average class size of 300+. Elkhorn is a 'smaller' class A high school... no smaller than the 'small town' which surrounds it.

And I've put my two oldest children through North... there's no more a drug culture at North than at any other suburban high school in Omaha.

Forget the football program... it arguably has the best academic program in the state... the only International Baccalaureate program in the state... the highest ACT composite in the metro... most national merit finalists in the metro...

Old 09-27-2008, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 48,809 times
Westside's ACT scores were the highest with a 24.7 average. The scores are only supposed to go up in the coming years. I know people who live in Bennington and Plattsmouth who travel all the way just to go to Westside. Although westside is in the center of omaha it is something to look at.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:15 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,451,854 times
if you plan to send your kids to any Millard schools

dont send them to Millard South

I know of folks who graduated from all 3 HS schools, and for some reason Millard South grads tend to be more arrogant

or maybe that is just Jim Vokal and the folks I know who graduated from Millard South

Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM

42 posts, read 87,159 times
If you still plan on moving to Nebraska I would go with the Millard School District. Millard North and Millard West are good schools; I would not rec Millard South though.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers View Post
If you still plan on moving to Nebraska I would go with the Millard School District. Millard North and Millard West are good schools; I would not rec Millard South though.
as a Omaha North grad, I agree

Millard North and Millard West are good schools; I would not rec Millard South though

Millard South grads (this isnt including it's alumni reps or Jim Vokal

tend to be a little more mean-spirited than Millard North or Millard West

I am not trying to say all Millard South grads are jerks

but I know a lot of Millard south grads that are.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,643,529 times
Yes, just to be clear Elkhorn schools are NOT similar to "small town schools." As someone already stated, they are a smaller class A school (which is the largest school classification in Nebraska). And the Millard schools are not "upity and over crowded."

The person who posted that has a clear bias.

I would agree with most on here that Westside is the best school district in Omaha.

That said, Elkhorn AND Millard are both excellent systems. They're both some of the top school systems in the metro area. I wouldn't hesitate at all to send my kids to one of those schools.

Come on guys. The person asked for an objective opinion concerning the quality of schools and what he gets is "how upity" one school is and how "arrogant" another school is?? Don't get me wrong a lot on here posted some worthwhile info, but I'm not sure Jim Vokal's arrogance has much to do with the original poster's question.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Yes, just to be clear Elkhorn schools are NOT similar to "small town schools." As someone already stated, they are a smaller class A school (which is the largest school classification in Nebraska). And the Millard schools are not "upity and over crowded."

The person who posted that has a clear bias.

I would agree with most on here that Westside is the best school district in Omaha.

That said, Elkhorn AND Millard are both excellent systems. They're both some of the top school systems in the metro area. I wouldn't hesitate at all to send my kids to one of those schools.

Come on guys. The person asked for an objective opinion concerning the quality of schools and what he gets is "how upity" one school is and how "arrogant" another school is?? Don't get me wrong a lot on here posted some worthwhile info, but I'm not sure Jim Vokal's arrogance has much to do with the original poster's question.

what year did you graduate from Omaha Westside High since you say

Westside is the best school district in Omaha

Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
I wonder how many of our friends from 'very small schools' elsewhere in Nebraska would relate to an average class size of 300+. Elkhorn is a 'smaller' class A high school... no smaller than the 'small town' which surrounds it.

And I've put my two oldest children through North... there's no more a drug culture at North than at any other suburban high school in Omaha.

Forget the football program... it arguably has the best academic program in the state... the only International Baccalaureate program in the state... the highest ACT composite in the metro... most national merit finalists in the metro...

I went to Omaha North and you are right.

there's no more a drug culture at North than at any other suburban high school in Omaha

I mean I heard of kids from Omaha Mercy High and Omaha Millard South and other schools that are either private schools or in west omaha

getting busted for drugs and none of the North Omaha bashers have a thing to say when

Omaha Mercy High and Omaha Millard South High kids

and other schools that are either private schools or in west omaha

get caught with drugs.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,679,893 times
I think he meant Millard North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or