Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 21,904 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm anticipating an offer in the next few days for a job in West Omaha. I've read great things about the Millard schools. Unfortunately my husband has been a volunteer firefighter since he was 18 and Millard's fire department is exclusively career firefighters. It looks like Elkhorn still has volunteers - (not sure if that will be phased out now that Elkhorn has been annexed). So my question is: How does the Elkhorn School District compare to the Millard School District?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Both are good but some Millard schools have the IB Program which is used world wide, and kids transfer from all over the city to go to it.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Elkhorn's volunteer fire dept was absorbed into Omaha's career dept upon annexation. Omaha did not immediately "rebrand" all of the equipment so it may still say Elkhorn, but it truly is Omaha.

For volunteer maybe look to Gretna - its close to West Omaha and the schools are good.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM

66 posts, read 231,880 times
Post Millard Schools

The Millard school district is the best in Omaha and among the top schools in the nation. All of the highschools (Millard West, North, and South) have all won the Blue Ribbon Award of Excellence. It is considered the highest honor a school can recieve. All of the highschools are great in there own way, however, I can only speak about West from the experience of a former student.
It is the newest school (13 years old) with a two new additions to the main building in the last two years. As such it has the newest facilities (swimming pool, soccer pitches, baseball diamonds, etc.) but the football games are played at Millard South. That being said if you are looking for a strong football program, look no futher than West. They have been in the playoffs 11 of 13 seasons and have won state.
The faculty at West is outstanding as well. Depending on what you are looking for they have a dedicated wing for the business / marketing department (which is my current field) as well as a science wing and a new wing for the band program. The english deparment is second to none. They also have an incredible drama department. They have the Block Schedule: 4-period day.

The neighborhoods surrounding North and South are older and more established where as there is much new development the further west and south you go e.g. Millard West is located on 176th and Q and there is a new (5 yrs or less) development 3 blocks away as well as new retail development.
Both myself and my two younger brothers have graduated from West and have had an outstanding experience there and would highly recommend it to anyone.

For Millard West's Website
Millard West High School (http://www.mpsomaha.org/mwhs/index.htm - broken link)

Millard South
Welcome to Millard South High School (broken link)

Millard North
Millard North High School

For more information regarding the Millard School District go to:
MPSOMAHA

If you have anymore questions let us know!
Hope this helps

Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Millard schools are very good... although I have to disagree that they are the best... that would be District 66 (aka Westside schools)... but it can be very expensive to find a nice home within the district (I believe option enrollment students... from outside the district... now comprise nearly half of district 66 students).

By the way, my kids attend(ed) Millard schools. Excellent to be sure... not the best.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times
as a OPS grad (I went to Omaha Northwest and graduated from Omaha North)

I would recomend Millard Schools or any schools that are not part of OPS

cause the folks who run OPS have become so corrupt and power-hungry

(wish there were term limits on Jensen and her associates)

BTW several friends of mine went to Millard South and Millard West and Elkhorn High

as did one of my family members who graudated from Millard West a few years ago

and they told me it was great schools.

MPS Alumni websites:

http://www.classreport.org/usa/ne/omaha/mnhs/

Millard South High School*-*Class Reunion Websites

Millard South High School*-*Class Reunion Websites

Millard West High School*-*Class Reunion Websites

Elkhorn High of Elkhorn Nebraska websites

http://www.elkhornweb.org/schools/ehs/

http://www.classreport.org/usa/ne/elkhorn/ehs/

Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM

27 posts, read 140,381 times
Default Did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawanderer View Post
Hi everyone. I'm anticipating an offer in the next few days for a job in West Omaha. I've read great things about the Millard schools. Unfortunately my husband has been a volunteer firefighter since he was 18 and Millard's fire department is exclusively career firefighters. It looks like Elkhorn still has volunteers - (not sure if that will be phased out now that Elkhorn has been annexed). So my question is: How does the Elkhorn School District compare to the Millard School District?
I'm in a similar boat as you. Just checking in, did you get the job you were hoping for? Congrats if so. What did you decide about where to live?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 AM

25 posts, read 130,191 times
I graduated from Millard West in 2000 and had several friends at other various high schools, including several from Elkhorn. I would pick Millard again.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 PM

46 posts, read 143,420 times
My doaghter goes to millard north middle for the IB program and She loves It so i would deffinetley recommend Millard

Old 09-24-2008, 05:00 AM

5 posts, read 21,904 times
I was offered the job, but ultimately turned it down. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha