U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:10 PM

12 posts, read 19,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
There is always someone else to blame isn't there? And once again, if North Omaha could provide a safer environment for businesses there would be MORE businesses. Not everything is racially motivated. Sometimes people just need to take some accountability is all.
I never mentioned racism, toots. I'm saying prejudices. I'm saying that atleast try and take a chance rather then condem EVERYONE (alot of good people and families) that live in that area.

And I will say that not everyone in West O. are heartless yuppies but I can't help but feel when I mention I live in North O. I get the 'oh'. Or that some people have said that I live in a ghetto but what ghetto can they compare it to when they have never even been past 72nd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 19,425 times
And btw if you did'nt think Omaha is racist read some of the comments on the other topics that have North O. in the title.

Just by reading that stuff I want to get the hell out of this city as soon as possible because it wasn't just one person that posted such racist filth on here.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,216,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Silver View Post
And btw if you did'nt think Omaha is racist read some of the comments on the other topics that have North O. in the title.

Just by reading that stuff I want to get the hell out of this city as soon as possible because it wasn't just one person that posted such racist filth on here.
I won't deny that. I've seen racism all over this forum and trust me, it's not just an Omaha thing. It's also racism by everyone of all colors. It's just very easy for people to be big and tough behind a keyboar, you know?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited by thatguy1; 06-22-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
There can never be peace in our forum can there?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
There can never be peace in our forum can there?
Nobody's fighting in here.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
Not yet, but the way this is shaping out there is potential.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,652,191 times
Burning,

Its not about race...its about economics. And whether you want to deny it or not there are run down and dangerous parts of Omaha and some of those areas reside in North Omaha.

Most people in Omaha do look at the problem objectively. Most of the shootings that occur are where?? They aren't in Millard and they aren't in Bellevue. They are in North Omaha. Does this mean all of North Omaha is bad...absolutely not. But if a family of 5 living in Millard or Papillion wants to go to dinner do you think they're going to drive to North Omaha for dinner when a shooting occurred a few miles away earlier in the week??

It has nothing to do with race, but it does have to do with depressed economics and North Omaha is very depressed economically. Ya, there is a lack of outside development companies coming into North Omaha. But how successful do you think a Village Point would be in North Omaha?? It wouldn't be! Developers don't make neighborhoods and cities thrive. Cities and neighborhoods thrive and attract developers! Do you think Village Point would exist where it does if the income level in that area wasn't relatively high with respect to the rest of the city?? What do you expect?? Do you expect developers to build in North Omaha and take a loss?

To simply dismiss everyone who takes issues with the fact as racist or prejudice is intellectually dishonest.

Before you start telling me how I've never been "past 72nd" you should know I've been all over the country and the globe and have seen the worst ghettos in the likes of NY, D.C., and Miami.

And as far as Omaha being racist that's just asinine. Yes, there absolutely is racism and that should never be tolerated. But you are taking a few comments by moronic zealots and painting a metro area of nearly 900,000 with that same brush. Do you not think there are racists in any other city you would move?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,180,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Burning,

Its not about race...its about economics. And whether you want to deny it or not there are run down and dangerous parts of Omaha and some of those areas reside in North Omaha.

Most people in Omaha do look at the problem objectively. Most of the shootings that occur are where?? They aren't in Millard and they aren't in Bellevue. They are in North Omaha. Does this mean all of North Omaha is bad...absolutely not. But if a family of 5 living in Millard or Papillion wants to go to dinner do you think they're going to drive to North Omaha for dinner when a shooting occurred a few miles away earlier in the week??

It has nothing to do with race, but it does have to do with depressed economics and North Omaha is very depressed economically. Ya, there is a lack of outside development companies coming into North Omaha. But how successful do you think a Village Point would be in North Omaha?? It wouldn't be! Developers don't make neighborhoods and cities thrive. Cities and neighborhoods thrive and attract developers! Do you think Village Point would exist where it does if the income level in that area wasn't relatively high with respect to the rest of the city?? What do you expect?? Do you expect developers to build in North Omaha and take a loss?

To simply dismiss everyone who takes issues with the fact as racist or prejudice is intellectually dishonest.

Before you start telling me how I've never been "past 72nd" you should know I've been all over the country and the globe and have seen the worst ghettos in the likes of NY, D.C., and Miami.

And as far as Omaha being racist that's just asinine. Yes, there absolutely is racism and that should never be tolerated. But you are taking a few comments by moronic zealots and painting a metro area of nearly 900,000 with that same brush. Do you not think there are racists in any other city you would move?
I don't totally disagree, nor do I totally agree.

There are people who moved "out west" for the express purpose of getting away from the blacks. I know because I know some of them. It's a very common thing. So common that it has its own name: White Flight.

Now to be sure, it was more prevalent 30-40 years ago than it is today. And I do honestly believe that race relations have made some fantastic strides forward in that time. But some of that racism obviously does still exist.

As far as violence goes, you're undoubtedly aware that there is becoming more and more violence in SOUTH Omaha. And, like the overwhelming majority of violence in North Omaha, it's gang and drug related.

But I think we also have to take an honest look at what is, and is not, reported by our local media. You'll never hear, see, or read about anything positive in North Omaha. The media simply doesn't cover it. And you'll never hear anything positive about Omaha North High School, even though it is an outstanding Magnet School that draws kids from all over the metro area - even out of the Millard District. Instead, this past school year, the media was all over the story about how a North High kid was arrested as a possible terrorist. After the heart-stopping headlines, they got around to admitting that, over the weekend, the kid made some random comment about how he wanted to kill at kid at school. Stupid, absolutely! But also completely misrepresented by the media.

On the other hand, the media will NOT report serious problems that take place in the Millard & Elkhorn School Districts. My wife works with several women who live in that area, and just last year there was a MAJOR arrest of West Omaha kids who were having a HUGE booze & drug party at the home of a prominent lawyer. 70 some kids were involved. What did the media report about that? Absolutely nothing!

So... Is it all race-related? Nope. But some of it is. Part of it is also just the hype that the media needs to create in order to sell advertising.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I don't totally disagree, nor do I totally agree.

There are people who moved "out west" for the express purpose of getting away from the blacks. I know because I know some of them. It's a very common thing. So common that it has its own name: White Flight.

Now to be sure, it was more prevalent 30-40 years ago than it is today. And I do honestly believe that race relations have made some fantastic strides forward in that time. But some of that racism obviously does still exist.

As far as violence goes, you're undoubtedly aware that there is becoming more and more violence in SOUTH Omaha. And, like the overwhelming majority of violence in North Omaha, it's gang and drug related.

But I think we also have to take an honest look at what is, and is not, reported by our local media. You'll never hear, see, or read about anything positive in North Omaha. The media simply doesn't cover it. And you'll never hear anything positive about Omaha North High School, even though it is an outstanding Magnet School that draws kids from all over the metro area - even out of the Millard District. Instead, this past school year, the media was all over the story about how a North High kid was arrested as a possible terrorist. After the heart-stopping headlines, they got around to admitting that, over the weekend, the kid made some random comment about how he wanted to kill at kid at school. Stupid, absolutely! But also completely misrepresented by the media.

On the other hand, the media will NOT report serious problems that take place in the Millard & Elkhorn School Districts. My wife works with several women who live in that area, and just last year there was a MAJOR arrest of West Omaha kids who were having a HUGE booze & drug party at the home of a prominent lawyer. 70 some kids were involved. What did the media report about that? Absolutely nothing!

So... Is it all race-related? Nope. But some of it is. Part of it is also just the hype that the media needs to create in order to sell advertising.
I do not totally agree nor do I totally disagree, lol. Trust me, the media would love to sensationalize any negative issues in west Omaha and they do all the time. It's "big news".

I also believe the media does an ok job covering North Omaha, good or bad, but the bad is really bad.

I also do not believe white flight in today's society is a racial issue. Many leave for a better way of life for their families. On the same hand, many blacks leave their communities for better lives.

Regarding South Omaha…
South Omaha does have plenty of crime, drugs, and gangs. But, South Omaha has community leadership who understands the need for local business and for a community to buy local. They do a great job at cycling capital in their communities so they can prosper. They run some great businesses and by and large, the local community as a whole respects that.

North Omaha does not have that in their community. I honestly do not believe the work ethic that exists in South Omaha exists in North Omaha. Of course it's not everyone, but it's an overwhelming chunk of a generation - probably two generations now. You cannot possibly tell me when you drive up 24th st. and see all those guys standing on the sidewalks and street corners have any interest in becoming employed.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,180,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I do not totally agree nor do I totally disagree, lol. Trust me, the media would love to sensationalize any negative issues in west Omaha and they do all the time. It's "big news".

I also believe the media does an ok job covering North Omaha, good or bad, but the bad is really bad.

I also do not believe white flight in today's society is a racial issue. Many leave for a better way of life for their families. On the same hand, many blacks leave their communities for better lives.

Regarding South Omaha…
South Omaha does have plenty of crime, drugs, and gangs. But, South Omaha has community leadership who understands the need for local business and for a community to buy local. They do a great job at cycling capital in their communities so they can prosper. They run some great businesses and by and large, the local community as a whole respects that.

North Omaha does not have that in their community. I honestly do not believe the work ethic that exists in South Omaha exists in North Omaha. Of course it's not everyone, but it's an overwhelming chunk of a generation - probably two generations now. You cannot possibly tell me when you drive up 24th st. and see all those guys standing on the sidewalks and street corners have any interest in becoming employed.
I'm not going to try to tell you anything about any of the people in most parts of North Omaha. I don't know them. But, as you know, North 24th Street is not exactly all of North Omaha. It's one street in the worst area of North O. Even so, I think I'd feel just as safe on North 24th Street as I would on South 24th. Maybe safer.

On the other hand, I certainly agree that nobody who lives in North Omaha is stuck in North Omaha, and unable to go wherever is necessary to get a decent job. I have a rental house in the Florence area. The husband (my tenents) works out by PayPal, and the wife is a teacher in Council Bluffs. It's possible.

Mostly though, what bothers me about the perpetuated stereotypes of North Omaha is the idea that the whole area is a ghetto that's overrun by black thugs. And that's just not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or