Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,953,748 times

Advertisements

This OmahaWiki page is pretty informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaWiki
The Near North Side of Omaha is the neighborhood immediately north of NoDo. It forms the historical and current nucleus of the city's African American community, and its name is often synonymous with the entire North Omaha area. It is bordered by Cuming Street on the south, 30th on the west, 16th on the east, and Locust Street to the north.
Near North Side - Omaha Wiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,066,213 times
After reading the first page or two on this thread, I wanted to reply- after looking the last few months at various states in the bid for a place to move that has relatively low unemployment as well as a lower cost of living, Omaha is what we have decided on (that and the fact that it helps that my husband has a brother there, haha)- I've been doing as much homework as I can on the place, and have even called a temp service to speak with someone about the job situation there (I'm thrilled, pretty much, with what she told me)-

For people who want a job within a couple of blocks from where they live- ha - in a perfect world, maybe- we came back to cali from michigan, and in both places the unem. is so unbelievably high, that we can't find anything- even when I was working here in cali, I've never been able to find a job that was any closer than 10 miles from where I lived- and truth is, it didn't make a bit of difference to me- work is work, and as long as you can get there and it doesn't cost you more per day in travel than you make? It's all good-

I've looked at pictures of your zoo there, and it looks absolutely wonderful- I've looked at your bus system map, and I'm even thrilled with that- in michigan, the bus showed up when it felt like it, and it was a pretty bad situation, not to mention costing more to ride than it was ever worth- the price of rentals there, wow- I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I was with that!

All in all, my last hope is that the people are friendly, because the city seems pretty awesome to me~

Old 06-30-2009, 03:22 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
After reading the first page or two on this thread, I wanted to reply- after looking the last few months at various states in the bid for a place to move that has relatively low unemployment as well as a lower cost of living, Omaha is what we have decided on (that and the fact that it helps that my husband has a brother there, haha)- I've been doing as much homework as I can on the place, and have even called a temp service to speak with someone about the job situation there (I'm thrilled, pretty much, with what she told me)-

For people who want a job within a couple of blocks from where they live- ha - in a perfect world, maybe- we came back to cali from michigan, and in both places the unem. is so unbelievably high, that we can't find anything- even when I was working here in cali, I've never been able to find a job that was any closer than 10 miles from where I lived- and truth is, it didn't make a bit of difference to me- work is work, and as long as you can get there and it doesn't cost you more per day in travel than you make? It's all good-

I've looked at pictures of your zoo there, and it looks absolutely wonderful- I've looked at your bus system map, and I'm even thrilled with that- in michigan, the bus showed up when it felt like it, and it was a pretty bad situation, not to mention costing more to ride than it was ever worth- the price of rentals there, wow- I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I was with that!

All in all, my last hope is that the people are friendly, because the city seems pretty awesome to me~

Great comments, great perspective, great insights on everything - EXCEPT the bus system. Our public transportation is very very lacking...

If you will be dependent on the public transportation then spark a discussison with billiefan2000 on this forum, he heavily uses the system... also take a look at this thread he started a couple of days ago:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...mat-buses.html

WELCOME!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,871,660 times
Quote:

People are very friendly. You'll always have the bad ones, but by and large, very friendly. Welcome to Omaha.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks so much, guys

Dave, yes, we'll be depending on public trans. for a bit - when we left MI, we left our Suburban with my oldest daughter, so she would have transportation (man, I miss that thing, LOL!)--where we are right now (Central Valley, CA- although since it hit 108 yesterday, I'm sure it would qualify as a level of hell, LOL), the bus system is actually really good- especially after MI, where, literally, the bus would be totally hit and miss, and I don't even think that it went to the same place on a fixed route, half the time- I read a little of the forum you posted, but not much- what is wrong, exactly, with the system? Late, or no shows?

Thanks once again, guys- we'll be up there before summer's end, and I can't wait- actually, some 30 or so years ago, an older cousin of mine was the city planner for Omaha, NE

Old 06-30-2009, 07:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,514,634 times
Quote:
Thanks so much, guys

Dave, yes, we'll be depending on public trans. for a bit - when we left MI, we left our Suburban with my oldest daughter, so she would have transportation (man, I miss that thing, LOL!)--where we are right now (Central Valley, CA- although since it hit 108 yesterday, I'm sure it would qualify as a level of hell, LOL), the bus system is actually really good- especially after MI, where, literally, the bus would be totally hit and miss, and I don't even think that it went to the same place on a fixed route, half the time- I read a little of the forum you posted, but not much- what is wrong, exactly, with the system? Late, or no shows?

Thanks once again, guys- we'll be up there before summer's end, and I can't wait- actually, some 30 or so years ago, an older cousin of mine was the city planner for Omaha, NE
Hopefully BILLIEFAN2000 will weigh in on your question.... I don't use it so can't comment...

BILLIE... Come out come out where ever you are....

Old 06-30-2009, 10:37 PM

Actually, I just went in and checked out the forum, as well as another one that they had a link posted to in there- the problem seems to be that the people who are posting don't think that the buses run in enough areas, and I read one where the person has to "walk 2 blocks" to catch the bus-

*cough cough*

Ok...I have to speak, lol.....

I am in my 40's...- at the moment, while I am on my desperate search for employment here in the good old central valley, I decided that, hey- I may as well go back to school and finish my degree...so, after having worked at law offices for years, I went back and am in the process of getting my degree in paralegal studies - in order to do this, I have to take the city bus system- now, mind you, I said it was a great bus system, and for all intents and purposes, it is- by "great bus system", I mean that it goes where it says it will go, it goes all over the place (at least the places I need to go), and it's generally there on time, give or take- the buses, depending on which one you're riding, come anywhere from 15 minutes apart, to an hour apart...

And then...I read some of the posts, and had to laugh, lol-

I walk 5 blocks to catch the bus to school-I then get off of the bus, and walk another 4 or 5 blocks, to get to the school after the bus drops me off-then I turn around and do it all over again to get home- yesterday, I did this in 108 degree heat, early part of the day until mid afternoon- trust me, it sucked, lol. It does take quite a while to negotiate the city, but then...I'm in a town of 499,000, with another "small" town attached that is almost 200,000- the bus doesn't take us to surrounding towns, so I'm sort of stuck where I'm at, but! It takes me where I need to go, and it costs me $1, or $35 for a monthly pass. There are days I don't like taking it, especially when, as I said, it takes all day to do something simple, like go to a couple of places- mainly because things here seem to be on opposite sides of the city from wherever I have to be-but after seeing the bus system in downstate MI, I am truly thankful that there is a good system here, and that it's dependable- sure, it's inconvenient, but...there are a lot of "inconveniences" in life, lol-

I looked at the map for the Omaha bus system, and although I'm not familiar with the area AT all, I was really "wowed" at how many buses, and how varied the routes are, and just how far they go- I can much more deal with taking most of the day getting to/from/etc., than I can dealing with the idea of, "whoa, I wonder WHERE this bus is going to take me TODAY, and will it come back so I can GET HOME??"

Sure does beat walking! ;D

Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Please Mr/Ms. Moderator, forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum, lol-

Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,651,267 times
Your fine.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,955 times
To: Happygolucky,

Everyone looking for work (in Omaha) is not a gangbanger or ne'erdowell. I've been looking for work since 2006. And, when I say looking for work, McDonald's and Burger King are not open for consideration-- for me personally. I consider fast food restaurant employment most appropriate for a youngster who has little to no job experience. Typically these jobs pay only enough to accommodate the same. Also, I have standards. Quite frankly, I cannot see working for fast food chains who are the largest purveyors of heart disease in the African-American and other communities across the nation. If I do not eat what they sell--as a hard & fast rule-- I don't want to sell it or bag it for others to consume.

So, when I say there are no jobs in Omaha I mean jobs which would afford an individual (such as myself) with a B.A. degree a modicum of dignity. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with telemarketing work when in a cash pinch, but in terms of long term (meaningful and substantive) work which pays a decent hourly wage and includes attractive benefits-- there are no jobs in North Omaha and even fewer in outlying areas. I don't think the defeat of "affirmative action" has helped things either.

It's quite sad because I returned to Omaha some 5 years ago with the best of expectations only to find this city is still about 20 to 30 years behind the rest of the nation where racial attitudes and the persistence of racism are concerned. And, it's a harsh reality to consider that things will probably not change anytime soon as long as we have those who are satisfied with scraping by and accepting the few crumbs given to them. Omaha's own El Hajj Malik El Shabazz (aka Malcolm X) lectured exhaustively on this subject.

Were it not for these same backward attitudes, by now (perhaps)the city of Omaha would have had a class action suit filed against it for not consistently hiring African-Americans and others. OPS also seems to have an unwritten policy wherein if you fail to fit a certain profile you're likely to not be hired...especially if you're older and/or African-American or simply appear to be a "forward thinking" person. Btw, I've never seen so many African-American youth in classrooms with caucasian teachers. Most caucasians in Omaha, otherwise, want nothing to do with African-Americans. Why are African-American parents not demanding African-American teachers throughout Omaha??? This is a subject for another day.

In the words of an old Quincy Jones song,...the young become the old, and mysteries do unfold. Now I know why my mother moved away from Omaha many years ago.

Omaha's nothing but an old klan stronghold and the very people the card carrying klansmen purport to keep down are in complicity by their unwillingness to fight back because they're so pleased to have crumbs. I see it and feel it everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha