U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 AM

711 posts, read 1,108,999 times
Default North Omaha Jobs.

I caught a news story last night on Channel 6, it was about the lack of jobs in the North Omaha Area.

I was taken back a bit, because the folks they interviewed on the story were complaining that there were no jobs in heart of North Omaha. With the lack of jobs in the heart of NO they were also contributing that to the high crime rate.
I really think these folks do not want to work at all, and only using the lack of jobs as an excuse for high crime and shootings.

If that reason were true every small towns in Nebraska would be like the wild wild west. Think of NO as a small town in the city, like other small towns in the state there are not a lot of jobs in town, folks have to commute to other areas to work.

Why can't folks in NO commute to other areas of the city to work?

Why do you have to work in 2 blocks from your house? Hundreds of thousands of folks in Omaha commute everyday to get to work.

I was laid off in June of 07, took a month off and found a job in my field in one week. Yes I took a pay cut, but I found work and am building toward my goal salary.

THERE ARE 1000'S AND 1000'S OF JOBS IN OMAHA JUST GO GET ONE!!!! DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!!!!!!! JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS CLOSE TO HOME DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT FIND A JOB!!...........MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT YOURSELF FIRST, BEFORE MAKING EXCUSES!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:58 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,373,479 times
I think that the lack of jobs is an excuse. I agree that many people commute in rural Nebraska along with many other rural areas such as rural South Dakota commute for some distances, not too common for a commute of 35-40 miles for a job. Public transportation can be used, along with car pooling, to make it easier for those who have limited means of transportation.

If these people want to have jobs in North Omaha, they and their local leaders need to work together to entice business that can easily employ people move there. If the jobs come, then be willing to get out of bed in the morning and work.

A good chunk of people from Omaha have to commute to different of the city for work. Examples are those who live in areas near West Dodge or West Center driving to downtown to work in the office buildings or other areas to work at banks, stores, offices, etc.

I think that the main problems may stem from a lack of motivation of some of these people, lack of reliable transportation (probably due to them being poor), some are unemployable (having health or mental conditions that make it hard for them to get and maintain a job), and some may have questionable work histories and may not be reliable for employment. There are social issues in North Omaha that run much deeper than what is metioned by the first post and much of it is self-inflicted. Omaha metro has many jobs and why are people from out of state (some from South Dakota, Iowa, Colorado, etc.), rural areas of Nebraska, and those from other countries: employement opportunities. Omaha, as with other metros in the Upper Midwest, have unemployment rates that are well below the national average and at this point have economies that are faring better now than a number of other regional economies nationwide.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:34 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,993,107 times
there is a lack of jobs in North Omaha

look at Ames from about 56th street to 48th street

empty buildings all down that street

a shopping center at 50th and Ames that once had Bakers and Walgreens is empty

the old target on saddlecreek near UNMC

is another example of a empty building in North Omaha

Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
there is a lack of jobs in North Omaha

look at Ames from about 56th street to 48th street

empty buildings all down that street

a shopping center at 50th and Ames that once had Bakers and Walgreens is empty

the old target on saddlecreek near UNMC

is another example of a empty building in North Omaha
I do agree with you, but I still have a problem with folks that say they cannot find work.

It seems that the business's moved to the west side of NO--- 72nd street
A big shopping plaza was build and is thriving.

The distance from 30th and Ames Ave to 72nd Street and Ames is only 3.46 miles. MAT Bus's run Ames Ave all day long. 7 days a weeks.

The distance from 30th Street and Miller Park south to Dodge street is 3.69 miles. North Omaha is really a small area commuting is not really a problem since MAT runs the area. If there was a need for more buses out to west O, I am sure MAT would accommodate it's customers.

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses.......

Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 PM

475 posts, read 1,565,844 times
A lack of jobs is just one of many factors which are stacked against the youth/people of north Omaha.

I believe an even more significant factor is the large number of single parent households. There are no role models for these kids.

I spent a 4 year 'tour' with Big Brothers and Big Sisters. Perhaps some of you should take a break from the internets... and think about doing something similar. Perhaps if we all invest a little time giving back to our community... we can make a difference over time.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 PM

240 posts, read 315,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
I caught a news story last night on Channel 6, it was about the lack of jobs in the North Omaha Area.

I was taken back a bit, because the folks they interviewed on the story were complaining that there were no jobs in heart of North Omaha. With the lack of jobs in the heart of NO they were also contributing that to the high crime rate.
I really think these folks do not want to work at all, and only using the lack of jobs as an excuse for high crime and shootings.

If that reason were true every small towns in Nebraska would be like the wild wild west. Think of NO as a small town in the city, like other small towns in the state there are not a lot of jobs in town, folks have to commute to other areas to work.

Why can't folks in NO commute to other areas of the city to work?

Why do you have to work in 2 blocks from your house? Hundreds of thousands of folks in Omaha commute everyday to get to work.

I was laid off in June of 07, took a month off and found a job in my field in one week. Yes I took a pay cut, but I found work and am building toward my goal salary.

THERE ARE 1000'S AND 1000'S OF JOBS IN OMAHA JUST GO GET ONE!!!! DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!!!!!!! JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS CLOSE TO HOME DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT FIND A JOB!!...........MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT YOURSELF FIRST, BEFORE MAKING EXCUSES!!!!
You really do have to consider that commuting is hell if you can't afford a car and rely on the MAT system.

The fact that jobs don't exist in the area means that businesses aren't in the area (minus liquor stores) and I don't know if you've ever actually been through parts of NO, but it is pretty damn depressing with boarded up businesses. I for one could see how that would breed an atmosphere of hopelessness and apathy.

And, come on, you can't just go "get a job" in Omaha, unless you can survive on $7.00/hr. There is still alot of racism in this city in terms of any mid-level employment.

I wouldn't be so quick to start condemning people in that area of town until you really think about all of the socio-economic factors that play into their comments.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 6,137,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
I do agree with you, but I still have a problem with folks that say they cannot find work.

It seems that the business's moved to the west side of NO--- 72nd street
A big shopping plaza was build and is thriving.

The distance from 30th and Ames Ave to 72nd Street and Ames is only 3.46 miles. MAT Bus's run Ames Ave all day long. 7 days a weeks.

The distance from 30th Street and Miller Park south to Dodge street is 3.69 miles. North Omaha is really a small area commuting is not really a problem since MAT runs the area. If there was a need for more buses out to west O, I am sure MAT would accommodate it's customers.

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses.......
With Gas prices as they are its really hard for people in North Omaha to get jobs in other places. And just so you know, there is only one MAT stop in West Omaha, and thats at village point in the Morning and at night. It would take a lot to get MAT to get more stops in West O, and it would be high demand, plus they would need more buses and space to store them and the money to fuel and maintain them. Jobs in the local area are always the best thing.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 AM

With Gas prices as they are its really hard for people in North Omaha to get jobs in other places.

That is just another excuse, I know that folks in small towns in Nebraska drive over 40 miles a day to work @ 10.00 an hour jobs. The problem is that there is no will to work.
Where there is a will there is a way. Yes local jobs is the best thing, but folks have to deal with it.

Nebraska and Omaha has so many job programs in place now folks need to take advantage of them and show self betterment.

Jobs Careerlink Employment
nebraskaworkforcedevelopment.com
www.metrotechcc.com (broken link)

Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,373,479 times
I agree. If gas prices are of a concern for those in North Omaha, carpooling is an option. Yes, it may take ingenuity and creativity. But it can work.

I also agree with prior posts that local employment is preferable, but the neighborhood leaders need to work more with the economic development officials and city leadership to pave the way for employers to move to the area. With cooperation and vision, great things can be done.

Motivation is needed by the residents of North Omaha to go where the jobs are and work together on transportion if that is an issue (car pooling, etc.). Motivation is also needed by the area leaders in paving the way to bringing employment that helps pay a livable wage. Motivation should also come from the city to help better a depressed area of the city. Each side back stand up to the plate and show motivation. Maybe it will get there or it will not, but it is worth a try.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 PM

3,306 posts, read 6,137,342 times
Well, with development is slowly starting to move north, the Benson Beat, NODO, its only a matter of time till it reaches North Omaha and Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha