U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,225 times

Advertisements

I'm a current owner of a Celebrity home and my wife and I have been very happy with it. All of the neighborhoods are in good areas. While you don't get all the choices and a custom home, what they do offer included is still terrific, especially for first time buyers. They're definitely the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,070,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada View Post
My youngest brother just went to college so my mom wanted a smaller place. She has purchased a Celebrity Home and it is still being built. The agent was awesome and she won't have to pay taxes for the first year and they had a deal for only a $1000 dollars down to build it. It seems to be a quality build. Good luck

Make sure she realizes that come year 2 they'll have to make up the difference when the escrow company pays the taxes. She'd better be ready to pay the taxes or have her mortgage payment jump by a few hundred per year, plus the normal few hundred for the higher taxes.

My wife and I were warned about that when we bought our HearthStone and we put money aside for taxes when we sold our previous home.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM

66 posts, read 208,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Make sure she realizes that come year 2 they'll have to make up the difference when the escrow company pays the taxes. She'd better be ready to pay the taxes or have her mortgage payment jump by a few hundred per year, plus the normal few hundred for the higher taxes.

My wife and I were warned about that when we bought our HearthStone and we put money aside for taxes when we sold our previous home.
Actually, I think (not positive), that it is an incentive from the city or SID or whatever the municipality zoning is to build and Celebrity (company or agent, not sure) is paying the difference to the escrow.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,263 times
Default DO NOT buy a Celebrity Home

I have lived in my Celebrity Home for 2yrs and am very dissatisfied. Although their agents are well informed and personable, the quality of their homes are cheap. Yes..."it's all included," but also the headache that comes along with problems associated with the home. My biggest complaint/issue is the shakiness of our floors. Celebrity homes has used a new truss floor system so you can have higher basement ceiling clearance and no structural support beam in the middle of your basement. Due to the shakiness of my floors, I would prefer to have the lower ceilings and support beams in the middle of the basement as opposed to this truss system they are using. The floor is so shaky I can feel my 18month old walking around as I sit on my sofa. I have complained to the builder but all they can say is the floor is built to code. I DO NOT recommend Celebrity Home and would NOT buy a Celebrity Home again.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM

696 posts, read 1,495,418 times
You get what you pay for. (this can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint)
Take a look at some of the houses they built 2 to 4+ years ago.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,137,776 times
myamzon is correct. I'm going to try not to rant too much.

I have a Hearthstone and experienced the same thing. The agents are very nice and many of them own one of the homes they are promoting. But I think the quality of your home depends more on luck than consistency.

As I work to do some home improvement in my home the shabby build quality really starts to show itself. I get the impression time and time again that the attitude when they were building was "oh well it's not my house". My floor creaks, my basement has small leaks, I suspect I am somehow getting water damage under my floor by my sliding door. It's almost like this was their first try at building a house, although I suspect I could do better.

I haven't searched the attic yet, I hope I don't find surprises there, I've also considered removing some drywall and seeing what is going on inside my walls as they now have me questioning everything.

As others have mentioned, you get what you pay for, the houses look nice, but are of only fair quality.

Also worth noting is that not "everything" is included. At least when we looked at them, the included carpet and cabinetry were not the best quality, upgrades were extra. Also the price doesn't include a finished basement.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,263 times
Definitely got what i paid for. Celebrity Homes is not done with my neighborhood and it is amazing how fast the houses are going up. A single story house was put up in one week. Definitely explains the quality of the homes!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,317,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzh808 View Post
So my husband and I were thinking of purchasing a house versus living on military housing. We saw some brand new houses on celebrityhomesomaha.com and we saw some awesome deals and are very interested in purchasing one. We haven't even arrived to Nebraska yet, and this would be our 1st home purchase, so of course we're going to wait until we get there to figure everything out. But in the meantime, I just wanted to do some research. Are the housing communities located in a good area? The deals seem almost too good to be true, and we were just curious about the overall reputation of these builders? Any other information you could add would definitely help. Thanks!
I've inspected some of the Celebrity homes. They are hideous. Th poorest quality materials available, the lowest standards of construction (by code) and nominal-at-best workmanship.

I can guarantee you that, within 20 years of being built, every single one of those houses will be completely rebuilt, or they will be razed.

What a tragedy for people to unknowingly take out 30-year mortgages on houses that cannot last as long as the loan against them.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,317,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
I haven't searched the attic yet, I hope I don't find surprises there, I've also considered removing some drywall and seeing what is going on inside my walls as they now have me questioning everything.
Don't do that. You will be nothing but depressed. Had you seen them being unloaded off the truck, you would have been mortified. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it now anyway.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,137,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Don't do that. You will be nothing but depressed. Had you seen them being unloaded off the truck, you would have been mortified. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it now anyway.
I won't do it until I'm prepared to fix it. But I will do it. It'll be good one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or