U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for in this Election?
Obama (Turn Nebraska Purple) 31 59.62%
McCain (A Red Nebraska is a good Nebraska) 19 36.54%
Undecided 0 0%
Other (3rd Party, write in) 1 1.92%
not voting 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 PM

240 posts, read 446,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm sorry...but running away before the job is done is retreat. Call it what you want...but we made a mess in Iraq--we need to stick around and finish the job.

I'm not saying we need to stay for 100 years...but our name is bad enough in that area of the world--if we run away and abandon a country that we screwed up to start with, we're even worse off.

"We need to stick around and finish the job" Who ? You ? Or thousands of young men and women who didn't sign up for countless tours of duty and have been home 5 months in the last 4 years ?

And again, if that is your view, how are you supporting a Bob Barr who wants to "retreat" faster than Obama ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,072,292 times
Agreed--at some point we do. And to be honest, a year ago before the surge I was ready to say get the heck out of there. I've heard a lot of good news out of there. I've also seen that the iraqi people seem to be standing up and trying to take control of their country.

I think maybe sooner than later we should get out--but to set an artificial timeline and say we're gone on such and such day is just not cool.

<edit>
I am embarrassed to say that I did not realize that Barr was that much against the war. I went and checked his web site after I read the comment above. I'll be honest, in that I had been planning on voting for Barr because I simply do not like either of the 2 main candidates, and I know he's conservative.

I personally think a lot of mistakes have been made in the war, but I do have tremendous respect for the men and women in teh military. I live across the street from a military couple. I have the utmost respect for the man, as he just got home yesterday from a deployment. I can assure you that sign is going to be removed as soon as humanly possible. I just hope to God that he does not think that I have anything but pure respect for what he has done to serve our country.
</edit>

Last edited by kdbrich; 10-22-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM

516 posts, read 1,210,194 times
I have to respond to this one...

"In the case of the surge, Bush and McCain got their way. The result? Apparent victory in Iraq, a country that is now a democracy, at peace with its neighbors, no longer a WMD threat, no longer a terrorist sanctuary, and no longer filling hundreds of mass graves with hundreds of thousands of its own citizens."

There is no victory in Iraq only devastation. Iraq was not originally a terrorist sanctuary (remember...think way back...Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9-11) but there are plenty of terrorists there now. Why? We created them with our war, and Saudi Arabia funds them with the schools of radical Islam they build in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

They don't have to fill mass graves with their own citizens because we are doing that for them.

Everything that Saddam learned he learned when he was trained by the CIA. His weapons came from the United States. We created him...that also is something to keep in mind.

How is Iraq a democracy? That would require conditions safe enough for people to be able to vote.

"Since 9/11 he has managed to keep your country from being attacked again and taken the battle to the enemy"

Let's repeat it together...Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11.

Oh! The book Three Cups of Tea is a great read to learn more about conditions in Afghanistan

Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 PM

516 posts, read 1,210,194 times
I have to respond to this one...

"In the case of the surge, Bush and McCain got their way. The result? Apparent victory in Iraq, a country that is now a democracy, at peace with its neighbors, no longer a WMD threat, no longer a terrorist sanctuary, and no longer filling hundreds of mass graves with hundreds of thousands of its own citizens."

There is no victory in Iraq only devastation. Iraq was not originally a terrorist sanctuary (remember...think way back...Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9-11) but there are plenty of terrorists there now. Why? We created them with our war, and Saudi Arabia funds them with the schools of radical Islam they build in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

They don't have to fill mass graves with their own citizens because we are doing that for them.

Everything that Saddam learned he learned when he was trained by the CIA. His weapons came from the United States. We created him...that also is something to keep in mind.

How is Iraq a democracy? That would require conditions safe enough for people to be able to vote.

"Since 9/11 he has managed to keep your country from being attacked again and taken the battle to the enemy"

Let's repeat it together...Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11.

Oh! The book Three Cups of Tea is a great read to learn more about conditions on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Actually...Hussein himself was a tyrant, and had murdered hundreds of thousands of his own people. All indications pointed to the fact that they had WMDs (Hillary herself said they were an imminent threat).

Iraq is on its way to being a stable democratic country.

Nobody has suggested that 9/11 was caused by Iraq. Not sure where you get the idea that I did. But you can't deny the fact that we have not been attacked since then.

We can't say that for the 1990's when Clinton was in office. Despite the first WTC bombing in 1993, he did nothing, and we were attacked again.

Having said that, this is about whether or not the democrat party is capable of leading. The economy was doing well prior to pelosi and co. coming in 2 years ago. That's really worked out well, hasn't it?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,260 times
Quote:

Nobody has suggested that 9/11 was caused by Iraq. Not sure where you get the idea that I did. But you can't deny the fact that we have not been attacked since then.

We can't say that for the 1990's when Clinton was in office. Despite the first WTC bombing in 1993, he did nothing, and we were attacked again.
Where have you been the past few years? One of the whole reasons we were sold on invading Iraq was the ties the administration made to the Sept. 11th attacks.

So if this country gets attacked again under a different President would it be fair to say that it's Bush's fault? You're blaming Clinton for an attack that didn't happen on his watch.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM

Actually...the reason we (the coalition) invaded Iraq was because of WMDs and the likelihood that he'd give them to terrorists. It wasn't too much of a stretch to think that since muslims work together to defeat common enemies that Iraq would give them to the terrorists.

The whole world, including Hillary Clinton, thought Hussein and Iraq were a threat.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 PM

240 posts, read 446,187 times
Quote:
Actually...the reason we (the coalition) invaded Iraq was because of WMDs and the likelihood that he'd give them to terrorists. It wasn't too much of a stretch to think that since muslims work together to defeat common enemies that Iraq would give them to the terrorists.

The whole world, including Hillary Clinton, thought Hussein and Iraq were a threat.
not the whole world. not the countless protesters before the invasions, the house and senate members who voted against it, or the UN weapons inspectors who had been there for over a year and not discovered any weapons.

could be why hillary isn't running now...although one person who erroneously believed they did (McCain) still is.

Great judgement for McCain on that one.

"muslims work together" what a ridiculous statement.

the "christian" USA has worked together with muslims more than muslims have worked together with each other:

i.e. (afghanistan, bosnia, iraq, saudi arabia, kuwait, turkey, libya and many more..)

you got me on the crusades about 1,000 years ago.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Most of the UN did. A few countries with veto power and who profited from the oil for food scam vetoed the action.

But yeah...ever hear of the creed "enemy of my enemy is my friend"? But I'm not sure what you mean about the crusades.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:04 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,968,575 times
Purple is nice, Id love too see Obama win in Nebraska, forget purple..better yet it could be a blue state like New Mexico

Its time for change Nebraskans! Vote Obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha