U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 PM

240 posts, read 446,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
maybe because he's been grandstanding and speaking out against Bush at every opportunity?

He speaks out against the war because he was a VETERAN who disagrees.

Add Dick Lugar (R-IN) in possible Obama cabinet.

What about the last part of my question.

Are you going to badmouth every Republican that wants to work with the administration ?

Do you want a divided country or parties that work together ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,647,697 times
Kdrich and Keltec,

You seem to think being a "democrat" or being "unpatriotic" means speaking out against the president. To me, it seems like one of the most patriotic and American things to do is to say "no" to power when you believe something to be truly wrong! Well, that's exactly what Hagel did! Further, as far as him being a democrat...well, are you insane?? He has one of the most conservative voting regards in Congress.

He has been in war...and a bloody one...he of all people is entitled to speak his mind on the issue. He spoke out against the administration when he knew he would suffer a very large political backlash. He isn't self serving...he's self sacrificing!!

I am so so so sick of this ridiculous rhetoric I could absolutely puke. I am a republican and a fiscal conservative who believes in small government. That said, the republican party currently disgusts me to the core! The party has been completely and totally hijacked by the extreme religious right and neoconservatives and I have never seen a group so politically divisive in my life. I voted for McCain, but the only reason I did was because I believed the old John McCain of 2000 would return if he actually pulled it off. The only time we saw the true John McCain was during his concession speech.

I am a republican, but I am truly happy that Obama won. One, I think he'll be pretty good and for the first time in about 20 years (end of Reagans administration) I will truly respect our president. Further, this defeat will hopefully force the broken republican party to get back to what's important, which is fiscal responsibility, small government, and strong military and finally let the extreme religious zealots go to church pulpit to condemn everyone instead of the political lectern.

In conclusion, I would add get used to Obama...he's your President for the next 4 years...whether you like it or not.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,075,704 times
Matt---I agree. Bush is hardly conservative. I'm not suggesting he is.

I too, hope the republican party gets back to its base. But that isn't McCain. He's not a conservative.

Honestly? The comments about the "extreme religious zealots", I find sad. I don't find it extreme to want to change a law that allows 4000 babies to die daily, or to want to protect marriage. As I've said here before--marriage is in bad enough shape--we don't need more challenges to it. I really don't consider it extreme to actually take your faith seriously enough that it affects your daily life, and the way you vote.

I'll respect the office of Obama...and I'll give him more respect than most liberals have given Bush....but it won't take much to do that.

Be careful liberal dems.

Your man is now in charge. He is supposed to bring solutions to our problems like we have never known. This is what he said, and this is what a lot of his voters are tearfully joy filled about. I highly doubt this is the case, but you all now have the ball in your court. You are in charge. I hope when you Obama supporters realize what you have voted for, you will humbly be ready to accept the fact you may have been mislead, politically speaking.

As a conservative, I promise I will try and not pour out vicious attacks on your man as was done to Bush, but so far, I am not impressed with his choice of his chief of staff.

Last edited by kdbrich; 11-07-2008 at 05:43 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,206,142 times
Lol, Bush asked for it. He made himself a target of criticism for 7 of the 8 years.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Kdrich and Keltec,

You seem to think being a "democrat" or being "unpatriotic" means speaking out against the president. To me, it seems like one of the most patriotic and American things to do is to say "no" to power when you believe something to be truly wrong! Well, that's exactly what Hagel did! Further, as far as him being a democrat...well, are you insane?? He has one of the most conservative voting regards in Congress.

He has been in war...and a bloody one...he of all people is entitled to speak his mind on the issue. He spoke out against the administration when he knew he would suffer a very large political backlash. He isn't self serving...he's self sacrificing!!

I am so so so sick of this ridiculous rhetoric I could absolutely puke. I am a republican and a fiscal conservative who believes in small government. That said, the republican party currently disgusts me to the core! The party has been completely and totally hijacked by the extreme religious right and neoconservatives and I have never seen a group so politically divisive in my life. I voted for McCain, but the only reason I did was because I believed the old John McCain of 2000 would return if he actually pulled it off. The only time we saw the true John McCain was during his concession speech.

I am a republican, but I am truly happy that Obama won. One, I think he'll be pretty good and for the first time in about 20 years (end of Reagans administration) I will truly respect our president. Further, this defeat will hopefully force the broken republican party to get back to what's important, which is fiscal responsibility, small government, and strong military and finally let the extreme religious zealots go to church pulpit to condemn everyone instead of the political lectern.

In conclusion, I would add get used to Obama...he's your President for the next 4 years...whether you like it or not.
Very thoughtful post.

I am curious to see how the republican party will move forward.

Make no mistake, Kdbrich is part of that religous right that has put 2 social issues ahead of economy and traditional Republican's main issues. So I think that people in that camp are really going to push for Palin as the new spokesperson.

I don't know about you or other traditional Republicans. But I will say the party brought it on themselves by actively recruiting the religious right instead of allowing that faction to create a third party. I think that someone in the same mold as the "old" Mitt Romney, a very business minded person and less concerned with anyone's private life, could be the way to go.

Who are the younger versions of the "old" John McCain ?

Or, for that matter, a true traditional Republican that I respected, George H.W. Bush ?

Or is it the democratic party in it's current configuration. I mean, people can talk about big government but there hasn't been a large government program under a democratic president since the 60's.
And, the only time we have had a budget surplus since 1980 was under Clinton !! So, I would argue that in some ways the current democratic party has become a lot closer to the traditional Republican party.

Last edited by Todd4; 11-07-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
Very thoughtful post.

I am curious to see how the republican party will move forward.

Make no mistake, Kdbrich is part of that religous right that has put 2 social issues ahead of economy and traditional Republican's main issues. So I think that people in that camp are really going to push for Palin as the new spokesperson.
How much value do you put on your morals? You're right, I won't sell out.

Quote:
I don't know about you or other traditional Republicans. But I will say the party brought it on themselves by actively recruiting the religious right instead of allowing that faction to create a third party. I think that someone in the same mold as the "old" Mitt Romney, a very business minded person and less concerned with anyone's private life, could be the way to go.
I wouldn't say that anyone "recruited" me.

We tried electing a Christian--and it got us Bush. No...we won't make the mistake again of voting for a guy because he calls himself a Christian. But we do have morals. Unlike the so-called "Christians" that forget about their standards and vote democrat, we hold to our standards.

Quote:

Who are the younger versions of the "old" John McCain ?

Or, for that matter, a true traditional Republican that I respected, George H.W. Bush ?

Or is it the democratic party in it's current configuration. I mean, people can talk about big government but there hasn't been a large government program under a democratic president since the 60's.
And, the only time we have had a budget surplus since 1980 was under Clinton !! So, I would argue that in some ways the current democratic party has become a lot closer to the traditional Republican party.
Honestly? At this point, obama has managed to somehow draw in a wide range of democrats. He's going to have to disappoint someone.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 PM

[quote=kdbrich;6056565]How much value do you put on your morals? You're right, I won't sell out.

So, those are your two biggest issues right ?

I wouldn't say that anyone "recruited" me.

Without people like you voting based on a shared religious belief, Bush would have never been elected.

So yes, you were recruited in the larger sense of the word because he made his religious belief very, very public and you thought it was similar to yours.

We tried electing a Christian--and it got us Bush. No...we won't make the mistake again of voting for a guy because he calls himself a Christian. But we do have morals. Unlike the so-called "Christians" that forget about their standards and vote democrat, we hold to our standards.

Standards like equity and taking care of the less fortunate ?

What exactly do you disagree with Bush about ? From policy to personal ?

I mean, what do you believe. Because Bob Barr was really conservative and you didn't vote for him. You mentioned Iraq.

Was that really your only reason ? Because Iraq, as the previous poster stated, isn't a conservative issue. It's a Bush issue.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM

Bush is financially liberal. It took him 6 years to veto his first spending bill. I also dislike the way Iraq was handled.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Bush is financially liberal. It took him 6 years to veto his first spending bill. I also dislike the way Iraq was handled.

Truce.

check this out. it's pretty cool

The Political Compass - Test

Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
Truce.

check this out. it's pretty cool

The Political Compass - Test

Economic Left/Right: 5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.38

You?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or