U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,864 times

Advertisements

IS there any vegans in Creighton University?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,681,854 times
Out of 6,000 students, probably.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,198,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai_sakura0015 View Post
IS there any vegans in Creighton University?
A big juicy steak sounds good right about now

Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,209,230 times
One way you might be able to find out is to post something on the community bulletin board at McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe (located at Farnum and 35th I think). And if you have not yet been to McFosters you should go! They have tons of delicious vegan food. Plus its a great place to frequent when you feel surrounded by dimwit steak eaters who have no apparent respect for your choices.

Check it out: McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe

Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,198,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
One way you might be able to find out is to post something on the community bulletin board at McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe (located at Farnum and 35th I think). And if you have not yet been to McFosters you should go! They have tons of delicious vegan food. Plus its a great place to frequent when you feel surrounded by dimwit steak eaters who have no apparent respect for your choices.

Easy Stacy, have you ever thought about getting that temper checked out? I'm sure those outbursts you display on C-D could be dealt with in some fashion.

I simply thought to myself what life would be like w/out any food items which come from a living beings...wait, aren't plants living beings also?

Vegan-Schmegan, just eat whatever food god has blessed you with.

By the way....as long as the moral compass, Stacy, graces us with her thoughtful comments, I will point this out.

The term 'Vegan' originated from the term 'vegetarian' sometime in the 40's. It was changed because Vegans figured out they needed animals for nutrients (calcium and other vitamins) and they could not be supplemented with other items at the time. So they chose to add dairy to their diets.

Do these trendy little angels they call vegans understand dairy cows are the most used, abused, and mistreated farm animals there are? Do they know that after these dairy cows are spent they are ground up for low quality meats, as well?

If it's taste, I can respect that. But if it’s the judgmental "PETA" type S*it, then get a frickin clue.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,681,854 times
No, Vegans are the ones who don't eat Dairy Products, Vegetarians do.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 PM

536 posts, read 1,943,651 times
Im a vegan but don't go to Creighton. And no, you do not need animal products to survive.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 PM

240 posts, read 445,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Easy Stacy, have you ever thought about getting that temper checked out? I'm sure those outbursts you display on C-D could be dealt with in some fashion.

I simply thought to myself what life would be like w/out any food items which come from a living beings...wait, aren't plants living beings also?

By the way....as long as the moral compass, Stacy, graces us with her thoughtful comments, I will point this out.

The term 'Vegan' originated from the term 'vegetarian' sometime in the 40's. It was changed because Vegans figured out they needed animals for nutrients (calcium and other vitamins) and they could not be supplemented with other items at the time. So they chose to add dairy to their diets.

Do these trendy little angels they call vegans understand dairy cows are the most used, abused, and mistreated farm animals there are? Do they know that after these dairy cows are spent they are ground up for low quality meats, as well?

If it's taste, I can respect that. But if itís the judgmental "PETA" type S*it, then get a frickin clue.
Why do you even care ?

Stacy's temper ? Read your own post man.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 AM

516 posts, read 1,209,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post

If it's taste, I can respect that. But if itís the judgmental "PETA" type S*it, then get a frickin clue.
Crikey dude I was taking a dig at you (and Omaha culture in general) but there was really no need for this. As a meat eater (ie. the dominant culture) you seem awfully threatened by vegetarians/vegans.

Omaha is a difficult place to be vegetarian so I can imagine it would be even harder to be vegan. I was really taken aback when I moved here by the prevalence of meat culture, which I assume has to do with the history of having stockyards as a dominant economic enterprise for so long. But my husband and I thought it was hilarious (and a little disturbing) that every restaurant has to have the moniker "grill" tacked onto the end (even some of the Indian restaurants do!) That is not normal in the culture we came from...so it takes getting used to. I guess if its not a "grill" here people won't eat there LOL!

And regarding dairy cows any vegetarian (vegans do not eat any animal products) worth their salt knows how to do research to use dairy (and eggs) that are cruelty free. Your best bet in Omaha are Organic Valley products (Horizon claims to be cruelty free but they have been found lacking). Hyvee also has a pretty good line of dairy (organic store brand) in their Natural Foods section that claims to be cruelty free AND as an added bonus it is non homogenized, comes from grass-fed cows, and is low-temp pasturized so not as many vitamins are lost. Hyvee's is shipped only from Iowa so doesn't have as high a carbon burden as Organic Valley either.

So anyway too much information I know.

As far as eating whatever food God has blessed us with, you and I consider different things to be "food" is all. I just wish that God had been less liberal when he "blessed" us with factory farming.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM

71,565 posts, read 83,095,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post

why would you say, we have no respect for someone's choices? If a person wants to live without meat or meat products that is their business. If those of us choose to eat meat and meat products like eggs, milk, cheese that is our business; neither side is wrong. Now, if these same Vegans are from the PETA teachings, well, that is a total other story...
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or