U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,075,704 times

Advertisements

Olbermann is a poor excuse for a journalist. He was almost crying.

Frankly, I was embarrassed for the wacko.

Nice tolerance he was showing to those that disagree with him.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM

240 posts, read 446,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Olbermann is a poor excuse for a journalist. He was almost crying.

Frankly, I was embarrassed for the wacko.

Nice tolerance he was showing to those that disagree with him.

Do you also believe that Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity are both poor excuses for a journalists for their one sided, hysterical rants ?

Last edited by Todd4; 11-17-2008 at 11:21 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 AM

71,724 posts, read 83,345,493 times
[quote=buffy888;6203734]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Polygamist? Talk to the Mormons about that. Gays and lesbians have to put up a fight just to be able to get one spouse! Seriously, you need to get more info for yourself. Wikipedia is just a mouseclick away. Look up gay rights, gay marriage, gays, for starters. We'll all it the education of kdbrich.
QUOTE]

I am not jumping into the fray either way here, although it certainly has been interesting reading... But please don't tout Wikipedia as the best source of information. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone - have made changes to it myself previously to prove a point - and is certainly a nice place to start gathering info, but I don't think I would feel comfortable trying to refer people there in order to make my point about something.

That's all I wanted to say.
buffy you are right, it is like saying "check with snopes" they too are not the final word, but so many think they are the gosipal truth..

NIta

Old 11-18-2008, 05:33 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,075,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
Do you also believe that Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity are both poor excuses for a journalists for their one sided, hysterical rants ?

No...I really don't like Hannity. He's pure republican. Same with Rush...for the most part they're republican first, then conservative.

I listen to O'Reilly occasionally when I'm in the car at the time he's on. He makes some good points sometimes--and has been as harsh on Bush as anyone else--he's not pure Republican. If you can get past the fact that he will likely say something bad about your candidate (whoever he/she is), he's not bad.

Olbermann is pure liberal though. He lets it get in the way of his "journalism".

Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 AM

605 posts, read 1,058,774 times
[quote=buffy888;6203734]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Polygamist? Talk to the Mormons about that. Gays and lesbians have to put up a fight just to be able to get one spouse! Seriously, you need to get more info for yourself. Wikipedia is just a mouseclick away. Look up gay rights, gay marriage, gays, for starters. We'll all it the education of kdbrich.
QUOTE]

I am not jumping into the fray either way here, although it certainly has been interesting reading... But please don't tout Wikipedia as the best source of information. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone - have made changes to it myself previously to prove a point - and is certainly a nice place to start gathering info, but I don't think I would feel comfortable trying to refer people there in order to make my point about something.

That's all I wanted to say.
Its just a start, you can google any website with the keywords I suggested. But of course why would an anti-gay rights peson even care?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:10 PM

872 posts, read 2,600,860 times
I don't think much on the internet would change someone's mind if they already have a specific mindset on a topic. I am not sharing my viewpoint on this issue because I know how responses can be for more banal topics, much less an issue such as this. If you are trying to change anyone's point of view on this particular forum, I don't know how successful you would be, but I feel that you might have a better chance through more direct conversations such as those that can be found here. You are right that people who are diametrically opposed in viewpoint probably will not take the time to look at many, if any, links or sites you mention.

I also understand you are trying to get others to be aware of and understand what you are communicating, but as others have mentioned, it might be more effective - or at least be met with less resistance - if you focused the posts and conversations on one specific thread rather than creating new threads on virtually the same topic and "hijacking" existing threads to complete re-route the topic at hand. You risk alienating even those who agree 100% with you. Just a gentle suggestion...

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM

71,724 posts, read 83,345,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
I don't think much on the internet would change someone's mind if they already have a specific mindset on a topic. I am not sharing my viewpoint on this issue because I know how responses can be for more banal topics, much less an issue such as this. If you are trying to change anyone's point of view on this particular forum, I don't know how successful you would be, but I feel that you might have a better chance through more direct conversations such as those that can be found here. You are right that people who are diametrically opposed in viewpoint probably will not take the time to look at many, if any, links or sites you mention.

I also understand you are trying to get others to be aware of and understand what you are communicating, but as others have mentioned, it might be more effective - or at least be met with less resistance - if you focused the posts and conversations on one specific thread rather than creating new threads on virtually the same topic and "hijacking" existing threads to complete re-route the topic at hand. You risk alienating even those who agree 100% with you. Just a gentle suggestion...
He is on a rampage and mission, nothing will change him, nor will he make a progress here. That you are right about. Maybe it is just his way of venting his frustrations. Regardless his approach does more harm than good, in my opinion..

Nita

Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
He is on a rampage and mission, nothing will change him, nor will he make a progress here. That you are right about. Maybe it is just his way of venting his frustrations. Regardless his approach does more harm than good, in my opinion..

Nita
You nothing of me Nita, and I'd like it to stay that way!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM

I think the next protest should be around the Old market area. What do you guys think?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 AM

695 posts, read 1,200,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
Yes, personally I do! And I'll throw Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter in there too.

But I think there's a difference.

People like Jon Stewart, Limbaugh, etc. are KNOWN as biased talking heads, if not comedians. What's really disturbing is that the mainstream media tries to convince people they're objective and unbiased.

America no longer has a news media. We have a propaganda ministry. Unfortunately, most people aren't paying enough attention to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or