U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM

40 posts, read 99,202 times

Advertisements

I say live and let live. If two gay guys get married, in no way does that de-value the validity of my marriage. Look at it this way: there is NO WAY that homosexuals can desecrate the sanctity of marriage worse than Hollywood celebrities have. Which to me, begs a question: Why don't you ever see the "pro-traditional marriage" crowd out in California protesting what a joke the institution of marriage has become in Hollywood, where a typical celebrity marriage is measured in months instead of years? But then, I may be biased because I find the way some celebrities conduct their lives to be utterly disgraceful. (wow, what a red-state thing to say)

Old 11-18-2008, 12:03 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm sorry. I believe that God ordained marriage in Genesis. As a Christian I just cannot support the change in definition of marriage--especially not to something the Bible explicitly condemns.

It's not about hate--I've never felt that gay people are second-class, or to be hated. I find it sad that people can be so "tolerant" and speak of love...but the second someone disagrees with them they get labled a hate monger. What happened to a right to an opinion? I have a right to vote, as did the people of California (and they voted no).
and I second this...

Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 PM

240 posts, read 446,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I second this...

what does the bible say specifically about people of the same sex not marrying each other.

i really don't know and am curious if there is a specific entry somewhere.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,260 times
THere are tons of people that don't beleive in that book of fairy tales. Why should the rest of us be subjected to your religion? Their is no secular reason that two consenting adults can't be married. Marriage isn't a christian institution. People all over the world years before the Jesus nonsense became widespread were getting married within their own cultures with their own different takes and variations. People well outside of the middle east have had marriages that were not at all based on anything Judeo-Christian.

So since marriage is not derived from christianity, why should people be subjected to the christian rules of marriage? They shouldn't.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
THere are tons of people that don't beleive in that book of fairy tales. Why should the rest of us be subjected to your religion? Their is no secular reason that two consenting adults can't be married. Marriage isn't a christian institution. People all over the world years before the Jesus nonsense became widespread were getting married within their own cultures with their own different takes and variations. People well outside of the middle east have had marriages that were not at all based on anything Judeo-Christian.

So since marriage is not derived from christianity, why should people be subjected to the christian rules of marriage? They shouldn't.

Awsome point.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,203,925 times
Wow, great points DTO and Flat Water. In fact, with all these years of debate about gay marriage across this country I have never heard anyone explain and validate it that good.

I'm guessing any rebuttal will take some time to drum up. = -)

Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,203,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Water 1867 View Post
I say live and let live. If two gay guys get married, in no way does that de-value the validity of my marriage. Look at it this way: there is NO WAY that homosexuals can desecrate the sanctity of marriage worse than Hollywood celebrities have. Which to me, begs a question: Why don't you ever see the "pro-traditional marriage" crowd out in California protesting what a joke the institution of marriage has become in Hollywood, where a typical celebrity marriage is measured in months instead of years? But then, I may be biased because I find the way some celebrities conduct their lives to be utterly disgraceful. (wow, what a red-state thing to say)
By "Red State" do you mean Logical?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
what does the bible say specifically about people of the same sex not marrying each other.

i really don't know and am curious if there is a specific entry somewhere.
you know what? I can't quote the actual location but wish I could: it does say, Marriage is between one man and one woman..I am sure I can find the passage if I try hard enough.

I can't stress this enough, I am not a right wing, conservative, holier than thou person, nor am I a bigot or prejudice, I believe in legal rights for all, but I draw the line when it comes to marriage...

Nita

Old 11-18-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post

you know what, you have every right to believe the way you want and no one is forcing you to accept Christianity, Judium or any other religion, but we have every right to our views and every right to state them. This is what makes America the greatest country on earth.....

Nita

Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know what? I can't quote the actual location but wish I could: it does say, Marriage is between one man and one woman..I am sure I can find the passage if I try hard enough.

I can't stress this enough, I am not a right wing, conservative, holier than thou person, nor am I a bigot or prejudice, I believe in legal rights for all, but I draw the line when it comes to marriage...

Nita
Then you don't believe in legal rights for all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or