U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 762,572 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Omaha is actually one of the denser cities in the country. I can't remember the report but Omaha is one of the least sprawling cities even in the suburbs. Midtown around Mutual alone has a population density of 8,000 people per sq. mi. For comparison Boston averages 11,000.

Omaha used to have a very extensive street car system. Once the ball gets rolling on the streetcars DT it will be the beginning of getting more city-wide public transportation.
And with all the Downtown Condos, Midtown Crossing and proposed improvements to public transportation, Omaha will be a bit more gay friendly and more gays will start moving in!

I hope they're really hot, I want to get married! Any one remember the Omaha World Herald article about Rob Florida and how he stated that any large city that wants to be respectful has to be welcoming to artistic and creative types and he specifically mentioned that includes gays! Its important because gays move into an area and they improve it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 3,139,066 times
Reputation: 496
I beleive it was the "The Rise of the Creative Class".

The plans for the system DT and out to the Med Center are already planned out. You can see them in the master plan of the baseball stadium. This latest venture by the heritage group is to see how to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Papillion
2,583 posts, read 7,084,161 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Omaha is actually one of the denser cities in the country. I can't remember the report but Omaha is one of the least sprawling cities even in the suburbs. Midtown around Mutual alone has a population density of 8,000 people per sq. mi. For comparison Boston averages 11,000. .
I think this is what you were refering to: Smart Growth America ranks Omaha as #6 for most compact amongst metropolitan areas.

Top 10 metros for COMPACTNESS
1) New York City,
2) Jersey City
3) Providence,
4) San Francisco,
5) Honolulu
6) Omaha
7) Boston,
8) Portland
9) Miami
10) New Orleans.

Top 10 metros for SPRAWL
1) Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
2) Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, NC
3) Raleigh-Durham, NC
4) Atlanta, GA
5) Greenville-Spartanburg, SC
6) West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Delray Beach, FL
7) Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk-Danbury, CT
8) Knoxville, TN
9) Oxnard-Ventura, CA
10) Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
 
698 posts, read 802,062 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Omaha is actually one of the denser cities in the country. I can't remember the report but Omaha is one of the least sprawling cities even in the suburbs. Midtown around Mutual alone has a population density of 8,000 people per sq. mi. For comparison Boston averages 11,000.

Omaha used to have a very extensive street car system. Once the ball gets rolling on the streetcars DT it will be the beginning of getting more city-wide public transportation.
I find that a little surprising, though I can't disagree (the part about population density). And while I'd agree that the midtown area is rather heavily populated, I'd venture a guess that the density is - say - the Millard area is MUCH lower.


And you're right that Omaha USED to have an extensive streetcar system. In fact, I had a long conversation about it just last night, over dinner, with an older gentleman who remembers it well. In fact, the old streetcar system was really rather advanced and successful. What brought it to a close is that everybody wanted to own and drive their own automobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 3,139,066 times
Reputation: 496
Yep that's the one. So in theory public rail would do awesome here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM
 
698 posts, read 802,062 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yep that's the one. So in theory public rail would do awesome here.
I think one of the main problems is that we've all grown so accustomed to walking out into the garage, any time of the day or night, getting into the car and driving anywhere - and doing so rapidly.

Nobody wants to walk to the corner and stand there fore - heaven forbid - 5 minutes, waiting for a streetcar.


That said, I do think a light-rail system (or something similar) that made a loop through downtown, up to the airport, and out as far as the Saddle Creek area could work very well. It could be extended from there.

But one thing necessary... It'd have to work a heckuva lot better than the MAT buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Papillion
2,583 posts, read 7,084,161 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yep that's the one. So in theory public rail would do awesome here.
Realized I didn't post the full URL in my previous post... here is the link to the actual report:
MEASURING SPRAWL AND ITS IMPACT - The Character & Consequences of Metropolitan Expansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 3,139,066 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
I think one of the main problems is that we've all grown so accustomed to walking out into the garage, any time of the day or night, getting into the car and driving anywhere - and doing so rapidly.

Nobody wants to walk to the corner and stand there fore - heaven forbid - 5 minutes, waiting for a streetcar.


That said, I do think a light-rail system (or something similar) that made a loop through downtown, up to the airport, and out as far as the Saddle Creek area could work very well. It could be extended from there.

But one thing necessary... It'd have to work a heckuva lot better than the MAT buses.

I live and work Downtown and haven't had a car for 2 years. It's awesome. I actually had to run a bunch of errands yesterday and borrowed a car for it. By the end of the day I was sick of driving. If I could have gotten everything done on foot I would have much preffered it even in the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 762,572 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I think this is what you were refering to: Smart Growth America ranks Omaha as #6 for most compact amongst metropolitan areas.

Top 10 metros for COMPACTNESS
1) New York City,
2) Jersey City
3) Providence,
4) San Francisco,
5) Honolulu
6) Omaha
7) Boston,
8) Portland
9) Miami
10) New Orleans.

Top 10 metros for SPRAWL
1) Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
2) Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, NC
3) Raleigh-Durham, NC
4) Atlanta, GA
5) Greenville-Spartanburg, SC
6) West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Delray Beach, FL
7) Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk-Danbury, CT
8) Knoxville, TN
9) Oxnard-Ventura, CA
10) Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
Very interesting, thanks for posting. I wish they would have listed the actual numbers though in that ranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 AM
 
Location: southern california
50,262 posts, read 47,603,261 times
Reputation: 41660
dont know omaha but here its dangerous. 40 years ago it was a good idea, but mean streets have gone wild here. not safe. better off in a locked ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top