U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM

695 posts, read 1,202,561 times

Advertisements

Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

I'm still trying to figure out what the Phelps gang would have been trying to prove. Why target Central High School?

Quote:
Westboro protest draws student counter protest
BY ANDREW J. NELSON AND KATIE FRETLAND
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS

Members of a Kansas church that protests funerals of slain service members fled the grounds of Omaha's Central High School today after police said they could not protect them from student counterprotesters.

Students threw hamburgers and bottles of lemonade and milk at members of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., according to several students interviewed.

Police said no one was injured. They made no arrests.

Westboro protesters had demonstrated at two other locations in Omaha earlier in the day before heading to Central High.

They were standing outside the school, near the corner of 20th and Dodge Streets, when school was dismissed at 2:50 p.m. and students began leaving.

Witnesses said the protesters held up signs that criticized homosexuality and characterized U.S. President-elect Barack Obama as the antichrist.

"Unfortunately, it got out of hand with students throwing objects at the protesters and at police," Police Sgt. Cathy Martinec said.

Police arrived before the trouble began, but once it did, Martinec said she advised the church protesters that they should leave. They did.

Dodge Street was temporarily shut down about 3 p.m., as police calmed the disturbance.

Students said they were expecting the demonstration. They found out online and through word of mouth.

Ari Brodkey, also 16, held a sign reading, "This Jew is not afraid of you." He described the demonstrators from Phelps’ church as "disgusting."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,174,416 times
This group has protested at funerals of military people. The tactics of Westboro Baptist are very tacky and distasteful. For them claiming to be Christians, they sure do not act like Christians with their hate towards President-Elect Obama, gays, and others. My understanding is that the Bible teaches people to love thy neighbor.

I sometimes wonder what the protesters from Westboro Baptist are try to prove also.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,090,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
This group has protested at funerals of military people. The tactics of Westboro Baptist are very tacky and distasteful. For them claiming to be Christians, they sure do not act like Christians with their hate towards President-Elect Obama, gays, and others. My understanding is that the Bible teaches people to love thy neighbor.

I sometimes wonder what the protesters from Westboro Baptist are try to prove also.

The Bible does teach to love thy neighbor. Most Christians would not consider these folks to be true Christians. It's a "church" made up of about 40 people that are all related. I heard a radio interview of Fred's sister, I believe, -- Shirley Phelps. She was nothing but pure hate.

I really hope that most folks don't lump these hatemongers in with the rest of us.

They're like a bunch of 3 year olds that people ignore, so they keep screaming louder. First, it was the funerals of gay people...then the military because they say America is being judged. Now they're just finding a reason to scream...hoping someone listens.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:24 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,119 times
never been prouder of my old high school...

Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 AM

13,929 posts, read 19,146,190 times
Glad to hear OPD didn't cater to these hateful bastards.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 AM

605 posts, read 1,060,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what the Phelps gang would have been trying to prove. Why target Central High School?

They were there to protest against the schools' Gay-Straight Alliance groups. Sounds like Westboro is the bestfriend of some of you haters here in the Omaha forum. Glad to here our students kicked their asses!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:59 AM

695 posts, read 1,202,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
They were there to protest against the schools' Gay-Straight Alliance groups. Sounds like Westboro is the bestfriend of some of you haters here in the Omaha forum. Glad to here our students kicked their asses!
You're a sick, paranoid person. Why do you have to infest every stinking thread with your problems?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,090,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post

who? who are the haters? You seem to be the intolerant one.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,704,420 times
Haven't we made it clear that we do not like or support Westboro? Must you completely throw all of us Christians into one group? I would rather not argue with you but I would rather shake the hands of each and every Central and North kid who was there.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:01 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,704,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post

Well, because Shirley Phelps-Roper is here to stand trial for disrespecting the American Flag in May, the last time those coo-coos were here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or