Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,557 times

Advertisements

The Old Market would just be preaching to the choir. I'd say Village Point or any of the suburban shopping centers. It would let people who might not think about it that Omaha does have a sizable population affected by taking away rights for gay people.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I thought we would have some new subjects, but it looks like the same thing over and over...

As has been said, by more than one, you are not helping your cause one bit. Write your elected officials, keep preaching for your cause without protests and understand change does not happen over night, in fact it may not happen at all. But doesn't it make more sense to approach this in a better way than being militant?

My guess is the OP, which seems to have quite an agenda, is a very unhappy perosn who, if it wasn't for his gay rights stand would be finding something else to protest against or for.

Nita

Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
And How do I act flamboyant in a post? I don't even act flamboyant in real life. its funny that you offer constructive criticism, because things you bring up are exactly why I am here. Your constructive criticism isn't going to change me any more than you claim I can change them.
I wasn't reffering to you. Just saying the portion that do act that way. (I should have been more specific)

Old 11-25-2008, 01:45 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I wasn't reffering to you. Just saying the portion that do act that way. (I should have been more specific)
So I post my bit, yet you are stuck thinking of already preconceivd stereotypes of gays. See, that just points to the fact that I am more needed here that I even thought. So much for less posting. Now there's gonna be more!!!

More protests, more protesters. Maybe we could venture out into the suburbs too. Ft Crook rd right outside Offutt AFB would be a great place to protest the military's ban on gays in the military. I like the sound of Village Pointe, too. 72nd and Dodge is a very busy intersection, lots of people would see us there!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
So I post my bit, yet you are stuck thinking of already preconceivd stereotypes of gays. See, that just points to the fact that I am more needed here that I even thought. So much for less posting. Now there's gonna be more!!!

More protests, more protesters. Maybe we could venture out into the suburbs too. Ft Crook rd right outside Offutt AFB would be a great place to protest the military's ban on gays in the military. I like the sound of Village Pointe, too. 72nd and Dodge is a very busy intersection, lots of people would see us there!
Whatever, alienate yourself all you want!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I thought we would have some new subjects, but it looks like the same thing over and over...

As has been said, by more than one, you are not helping your cause one bit. Write your elected officials, keep preaching for your cause without protests and understand change does not happen over night, in fact it may not happen at all. But doesn't it make more sense to approach this in a better way than being militant?

My guess is the OP, which seems to have quite an agenda, is a very unhappy perosn who, if it wasn't for his gay rights stand would be finding something else to protest against or for.

Nita
You don't have to be unhappy to protest things. You just have to strongly believe in social justice.

And really one does not need to look very far to find issues that need public outcry.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Whatever, alienate yourself all you want!
Actually it sounds to me like what you are advocating is social conformity. Maybe it is time that the popular hegemony be made uncomfortable by those they have oppressed. That is one reason why protest is vital.

Also in regards to gay marriage in California...it has already been through the court system once, which was really part of the problem. The courts agreed that marriage should be a civil right and the so-called "public" disagreed by putting it on the ballot (and we all know the results of that). It will reenter the court system but in the meantime nationwide protest keeps the heat on. It lets folks know that this is an issue that will not just go away.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Wild relatively un-organized protests won't help your cause, however, organized and peaceful marches, will help, and so will showing people what you in justices are, just yelling won't help at all, most people don't know what you can't do, so you should inform them, and most people still have a stereotype of you, so show them what your really like. You also need a leader, a smart and well educated person who can advance your cause. And calling Christians haters won't advance your cause, it will severly damage it. (Calling us haters is a huge turn off for me, and I even support you) You must be kind and peaceful, otherwise people won't exactly like you and just be annoyed and shut everything you say out.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Actually it sounds to me like what you are advocating is social conformity. Maybe it is time that the popular hegemony be made uncomfortable by those they have oppressed. That is one reason why protest is vital.

Also in regards to gay marriage in California...it has already been through the court system once, which was really part of the problem. The courts agreed that marriage should be a civil right and the so-called "public" disagreed by putting it on the ballot (and we all know the results of that). It will reenter the court system but in the meantime nationwide protest keeps the heat on. It lets folks know that this is an issue that will not just go away.
Yeah, no kidding! It will return to the court system and then be directed to the ballots, once again.

I'm guessing the results will be much less in the gay communities favor after the protests.

I never said what the right and wrong thing to do is, I simply said public opinion is important. Protests may draw attention, but most likely in a negative fashion.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,456 times
Quote:
I'm gonna start with the Old Market. What do you guys think. The memorial bridge by UNO, that was a good place to. Everyone driving up and down Dodge could see us.

The courthouse wouldn't be a bad idea either. Or The Qwest Center during some big event. Lots of space there!

Keep the ideas rolling my fellow gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders!
Out of curiosity, what and how are you going to be protesting? And am I going to have any idea what's going on if I drive by and see something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: