U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:45 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times

Advertisements

I'm a supporter of state's rights. MA and CT have been kind enough to afford us the opportunity to marry one another, and NJ, VT, RI, and a few other states also permit same-sex civil unions (with NY probably not far behind). If and when I hope to commit myself fully to another man, I'll merely relocate to one of these states. Uber-conservative PA's loss will be the gain of every other liberal state in the Northeast when we take our entrepreneurial talents with us.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-25-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,072,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Of course you missed out on the broader picture. Since you hate gays, the only thing you would remember is what the gays did wrong.

Can you show me one single quote from any of my posts that has EVER shown this supposed hatred for gays?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
You don't have to be unhappy to protest things. You just have to strongly believe in social justice.

And really one does not need to look very far to find issues that need public outcry.
Not when you keep starting new threads and can't let something drop for awhile at least.

As I have mentioned before we have gay friends, associates, friends with gay kids, and now our own daughter (well foster daughter) I don't think any of them would be part of a protest march. At least most of them would not. So, not all gays and lesbians share your passion, which I happen to feel, at this time might be misguided..

NIta

Old 11-25-2008, 03:13 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not when you keep starting new threads and can't let something drop for awhile at least.

As I have mentioned before we have gay friends, associates, friends with gay kids, and now our own daughter (well foster daughter) I don't think any of them would be part of a protest march. At least most of them would not. So, not all gays and lesbians share your passion, which I happen to feel, at this time might be misguided..

NIta
Stacy, I didn't mean this for you...I am sorry, but I still feel SurfOmaha is handling this all wrong, and I will continue to think there is more to his agenda than just gay marriages. I do think he is very unhappy to be this hung up on the issue. It seems to be controlling his life, that is my point. Organized protests can be a good tool for getting a message across. In this case I don't think he cares whether it is organized or what..

Nita

Old 11-25-2008, 04:05 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,813,287 times
Default ...

Omaha is my favorite city and I love the area..

But the more I hear the cries of the conservatives to not strip them of the right to only allow men and women marry, my love the city doesn't decrease but the blemish is too big for me to ignore..

Why don't I just move to another state that is okay with who I am and is not worried about burning in hell for eternity if they allow somebody like myself to get married...

And it's obvious anyway, the state doesn't need me or any homosexual, hell if we leave that would mean that the conservative's lives would improve even more!

The only thing us gays would actually hurt this state by leaving is a sudden lack of qualified and non-qualified workers leaving the state... Which would probably recover in a couple of years...

That said, I think it would be best for this state, the conservatives and us homosexuals that we just leave.. Everybody would be happier then..

Can i get an AMEN?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 PM

240 posts, read 446,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Omaha is my favorite city and I love the area..

But the more I hear the cries of the conservatives to not strip them of the right to only allow men and women marry, my love the city doesn't decrease but the blemish is too big for me to ignore..

Why don't I just move to another state that is okay with who I am and is not worried about burning in hell for eternity if they allow somebody like myself to get married...

And it's obvious anyway, the state doesn't need me or any homosexual, hell if we leave that would mean that the conservative's lives would improve even more!

The only thing us gays would actually hurt this state by leaving is a sudden lack of qualified and non-qualified workers leaving the state... Which would probably recover in a couple of years...

That said, I think it would be best for this state, the conservatives and us homosexuals that we just leave.. Everybody would be happier then..

Can i get an AMEN?

no entire state is pro-gay marriage. everything exists in pockets. omaha's pocket of progressive people may be smaller than larger cities, but it exists.

if you live in the older parts of town, especially along dodge to downtown and benson, you can surround yourself with liberal, progressive people and really limit your interaction with the typical nebraska conservative.

but by leaving, you don't help anyone. san francisco doesn't need you. boston doesn't need you. omaha needs progressive people to stay.

the tide is already turning if you look at the 2nd district's obama victory.

Conservatives are now the minority here !!.....for now.....

Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,127 times
omaha is a conservative city is a lie

most of the churches here in the Omaha are so liberal and or lukewarm

and into pluralism and seeker-sensitive crap, it is insulting

as for this being a conservative city

name me one conservative columnist at the Omaha World Herald

Robert Nelson is a liberal, Cidy Gonzalez is a liberal,

also name me one Omaha Public Schools board member that is a conservative.

and also name me a city weekly and uno gateway columnist that is a conservative

Tom Becka on KFAB is a middle of the road radio show host

most of the public access show hosts are liberals

BTW:

name me one thing that makes

mayor Mike Fahey a conservative

Last edited by billiefan2000; 11-25-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM

516 posts, read 1,210,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
omaha is a conservative city is a lie

name me one conservative columnist at the Omaha World Herald
The World Herald strikes me as considerably conservative. Just look at the way they covered (botched) the whole Bill Ayers/UNO thing.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,058,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm a supporter of state's rights. MA and CT have been kind enough to afford us the opportunity to marry one another, and NJ, VT, RI, and a few other states also permit same-sex civil unions (with NY probably not far behind). If and when I hope to commit myself fully to another man, I'll merely relocate to one of these states. Uber-conservative PA's loss will be the gain of every other liberal state in the Northeast when we take our entrepreneurial talents with us.
I'm all for states' rights too, until they start taking away individuals rights.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,058,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
no entire state is pro-gay marriage. everything exists in pockets. omaha's pocket of progressive people may be smaller than larger cities, but it exists.

if you live in the older parts of town, especially along dodge to downtown and benson, you can surround yourself with liberal, progressive people and really limit your interaction with the typical nebraska conservative.

but by leaving, you don't help anyone. san francisco doesn't need you. boston doesn't need you. omaha needs progressive people to stay.

the tide is already turning if you look at the 2nd district's obama victory.

Conservatives are now the minority here !!.....for now.....
Exactly, the Plains constantly lose people to the coasts. We have the best schools in the nation and then these people move and forget about us and our plight. Remember in 2000 Nebraska voters approved the hate legislation known as Initiative 416. Was there a public outcry from the coasts to help us out. NO! Now we have to help them now because they failed. And they had a better chance than we do. But California lit a sparked that galvanized the GLBT community nationwide. When did this ever happen? This is our chance to let them know about us. DON'T BE A QUITTER!!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or