U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 PM

516 posts, read 1,212,021 times

Advertisements

I take him very seriously and my suggestion to those of you who find him offensive is to ignore the threads you wish would go away and they eventually will...without your input. Thanks. That is the beauty of freedom of speech is that you don't always have to indulge in it...especially when you have nothing constructive to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 12:15 PM

605 posts, read 1,059,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
I take him very seriously and my suggestion to those of you who find him offensive is to ignore the threads you wish would go away and they eventually will...without your input. Thanks. That is the beauty of freedom of speech is that you don't always have to indulge in it...especially when you have nothing constructive to say.

Thank you Stacy! I appreciate that. I'm glad I came to this board, brought up all these gay issues, because not only do gays and lesbians come out of closets, so does hatred and bigotry and any excuse to exclude gays. Just look at all the Nebraska and Omaha topics on the gay issues.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 32,659 times
I have been lurking on the Omaha forums for about a month, trying to get a better understanding of the area, as I am in the process of applying for a job in Omaha... Personally I find the shift of the majority of recent threads to gay issues annoying, not that I have anything against gays, but just that it's _every_single_thread_. Unless it's really that big of an issue? (I'm coming from a "navy"-blue area where liberal beliefs are expected and LGBT issues are non-issues.) ETA: Unfortunately there aren't many jobs.

I would LOVE to know what your current local political issues are! The side of the city that the World-Herald isn't going to talk about, etc. What's the town-gown divide like? (Are "townies" adamantly against anything that benefits the student residents?) What's controversial? Is there talk of city services being slashed because of declining tax revenues - or cutting services extended to the poorer outlying areas, but increasing services to wealthy neighbors? Surprising number of homeless people? Etc.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:33 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantToBelieve View Post
I have been lurking on the Omaha forums for about a month, trying to get a better understanding of the area, as I am in the process of applying for a job in Omaha... Personally I find the shift of the majority of recent threads to gay issues annoying, not that I have anything against gays, but just that it's _every_single_thread_. Unless it's really that big of an issue? (I'm coming from a "navy"-blue area where liberal beliefs are expected and LGBT issues are non-issues.) ETA: Unfortunately there aren't many jobs.

I would LOVE to know what your current local political issues are! The side of the city that the World-Herald isn't going to talk about, etc. What's the town-gown divide like? (Are "townies" adamantly against anything that benefits the student residents?) What's controversial? Is there talk of city services being slashed because of declining tax revenues - or cutting services extended to the poorer outlying areas, but increasing services to wealthy neighbors? Surprising number of homeless people? Etc.
I don't think declining tax revenues in Omaha is much of an issue even with current economic climate. Omaha has a very aggressive annexation policy and that usually keeps a healthy tax base.

If there are issues with limited city services it may be related to the amount of development the city has been pushing along the riverfront and downtown. In the long run it will be worth it but things get pretty tight trying to find different creative ways to finance various projects. The city spends money about as fast as it comes in. I canít remember the last time Omaha has had a budget surplus. Not to say it hasn't. I just canít think of a time.

The gay issue...I can't even believe I'm going here. To answer your question, yes. There are issues here with accepting gays into the community but its getting better. Omaha has been in a kind of a red to blue transition period for some time. Omaha has come a very long way in recent years, however.

It's a great city with a growing economy and decent jobs. Don't let overly ambitious gays and close minded conservatives make your decision for you. It's really not that bad.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,819 times
Well, Omaha is growing so there is no issues with shrinking tax policies, here's an example of how Omaha has grown because of Annexation
http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...roject=OMAHA08

Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,818,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I don't think declining tax revenues in Omaha is much of an issue even with current economic climate. Omaha has a very aggressive annexation policy and that usually keeps a healthy tax base.

If there are issues with limited city services it may be related to the amount of development the city has been pushing along the riverfront and downtown. In the long run it will be worth it but things get pretty tight trying to find different creative ways to finance various projects. The city spends money about as fast as it comes in. I canít remember the last time Omaha has had a budget surplus. Not to say it hasn't. I just canít think of a time.

The gay issue...I can't even believe I'm going here. To answer your question, yes. There are issues here with accepting gays into the community but its getting better. Omaha has been in a kind of a red to blue transition period for some time. Omaha has come a very long way in recent years, however.

It's a great city with a growing economy and decent jobs. Don't let overly ambitious gays and close minded conservatives make your decision for you. It's really not that bad.
co-sign..

I agree, the city government is open and friendly to gays, and the city of Omaha is truthfully a great american city..

The gay bashers vs gay supporter threads are actually just a recent thing in the Omaha/nebraska forums and quite frankly I am tired of it myself.. It really isn't as big of an issue in Omaha or Lincoln as it is in all the other parts of the state..

Omaha and Lincoln voted blue in the last election..

Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM

11 posts, read 32,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Thank you for your insight! I realize every area has its couch-burning, car-flipping issues, as does every individual.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:45 AM

605 posts, read 1,059,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
co-sign..

I agree, the city government is open and friendly to gays, and the city of Omaha is truthfully a great american city..

The gay bashers vs gay supporter threads are actually just a recent thing in the Omaha/nebraska forums and quite frankly I am tired of it myself.. It really isn't as big of an issue in Omaha or Lincoln as it is in all the other parts of the state..

Omaha and Lincoln voted blue in the last election..
Anyone whomis tired of the gay threads can feel free to not post in them. No ones forcing you to talk about gay issues. I'm just letting you know they are not going to stop anytime soon.

As far as issues in Omaha, taxes are a big issue. The economic slowdown is already forcing Omaha to cut.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,819 times
The economic slowdown hasn't affected Omaha much at all, unless you count some starbucks closing as terrible, and Omaha is still spending, banks are still loaning and pretty much every big company here is hiring.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:24 AM

695 posts, read 1,202,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
The economic slowdown hasn't affected Omaha much at all, unless you count some starbucks closing as terrible, and Omaha is still spending, banks are still loaning and pretty much every big company here is hiring.
You're right.

My sons live in the Minneapolis area, and there's a definite change up there. It's not that there's an economic crisis, but there's no way to deny the fact that there have been a LOT of cutbacks.

Omaha, on the other hand, seems to be rumbling along just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha