Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Smitty, why do you think all of us are bigots or hate gays? This amazes me, just because we are not buying all you have to say does not mean we are filled with hatred.. Your comment about the gay human resourse manager at the Holiday Inn, did his boss say, I am firing you because of your sexual orientation or is that what is being claimed? I think it might be the other way around... As for the new administration, you seem to think they are going to magically change everything? What makes you way that? I believe Obama has already said he did not beleive in same sex marriages. or am I dreaming?

Nita
Nita, I see nowhere in his post where he claims "all of you" are bigots or full of hatred. Why are you taking it personally? Maybe you are confusing him with SurfOmaha!

Frankly I am more inclined to think that you are indifferent because you see the issue as not affecting you personally outside of ideology. I suspect that is probably the case with many of the vocal posters on this forum. However, for people who do have a personal stake in this issue I'm guessing that indifference is probably more frustrating than bigotry or hatred. Its more difficult to fight against...like wrestling with the blob LOL!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
This needs to be stated once again - and I hope you can get it through your head: This incident in the Nashville area is an ALLEGATION.

Most of us here are smart enough to take it for what it is - and ALLEGATION. And we're also smart enough to let the facts come to the surface before passing judgment.

Wise up!

Now, regarding your overuse of the term bigot... You're crying wolf. That's unfortunate, because people hear that term thrown around about so many times, and we begin to ignore you and your ilk. And what's really unfortunate is that if & when something hateful does happen, and you cry wolf, you are ignored.

Think seriously about being taken seriously.
Rose colored glasses.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Rose colored glasses.
It's called reality Stacy - and you ought to try it.

Stop reading conspiracies into everything, for crying out loud. I've read far too many of your threads and posts that are absurd in that regard.

The thread about why the movie Milk wasn't going to be shown in Omaha. You were absolutely determined that it's because Omaha is some backwards redneck hateville. Case closed. Turns out that had NOTHING to do with reality.

Or the claim that you and your husband caught crap, somewhere in rural Nebraska, because you opened a door for him. Yeah right...

There again, if you want to read conspiracies, bigotry, and hate-mongering into everything, it probably does make your world much more interesting than the real world.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Stop reading conspiracies into everything, for crying out loud. I've read far too many of your threads and posts that are absurd in that regard.

The thread about why the movie Milk wasn't going to be shown in Omaha. You were absolutely determined that it's because Omaha is some backwards redneck hateville. Case closed. Turns out that had NOTHING to do with reality.

Or the claim that you and your husband caught crap, somewhere in rural Nebraska, because you opened a door for him. Yeah right...

There again, if you want to read conspiracies, bigotry, and hate-mongering into everything, it probably does make your world much more interesting than the real world.
I could do without your constant personal attacks on my integrity Filet Mignon. If an ad hominum logical fallacy is the only way you feel you can score points in a debate than you don't have a very strong case to begin with.

I see the world differently than you. This does not mean that my opinion/interpretation is wrong, it simply means that there is room in the world for viewpoints outside of your own personal little hegemony. Why are you so threatened by that?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I could do without your constant personal attacks on my integrity Filet Mignon. If an ad hominum logical fallacy is the only way you feel you can score points in a debate than you don't have a very strong case to begin with.

I see the world differently than you. This does not mean that my opinion/interpretation is wrong, it simply means that there is room in the world for viewpoints outside of your own personal little hegemony. Why are you so threatened by that?
So you can take your silly little pot-shot at me, claiming I'm wearing rose-colored glasses, but I cannot challenge your credibility? I think not.

And I'm not feeling threatened at all - but nice try on yet another over-used but low-brow debate tactic.

The bottom line is that I'm standing here calling BS on a lot of this stuff.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Nita, I see nowhere in his post where he claims "all of you" are bigots or full of hatred. Why are you taking it personally? Maybe you are confusing him with SurfOmaha!

Frankly I am more inclined to think that you are indifferent because you see the issue as not affecting you personally outside of ideology. I suspect that is probably the case with many of the vocal posters on this forum. However, for people who do have a personal stake in this issue I'm guessing that indifference is probably more frustrating than bigotry or hatred. Its more difficult to fight against...like wrestling with the blob LOL!
Stacy, you and I have butted horns many times, you are a die in the wool liberal and I may add young and very niave. If you had read what I have written on this you would know how I feel. I have a wonderful foster daughter who is gay, I have a boss that is and lots of friends. With the exception of gay marriage, I believe totally in equal rights for everyone including those who choose a different life style or who have one, by choice or otherwise. Ask you foster daughter about my views and how I feel. I take your comments very personally and a total insult or maybe just a short coming on your part. My point simply is, flauting and protesting only hurts regardless of some examples you give. I certainly am not indifferent to the issue.

Nita ::

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

look at it this way, she is either very young and niave or blinded to reality. All her posting indicate she lives in another world. Why she is living in NE is beyond me, but there must be a reason. Maybe someday she can return to Ca.

Nita

Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times
Since both nmnita and Filet Mignon insist on remaining on this thread, I think it's only fair to ask them the following question:

Do you support legislation protecting gays from job and housing discrimination, and inheritance, insurance, and hospital visitation rights for gay domestic partners? I'm not including the marriage issue here.

I need a yes or no answer.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
look at it this way, she is either very young and niave or blinded to reality. All her posting indicate she lives in another world. Why she is living in NE is beyond me, but there must be a reason. Maybe someday she can return to Ca.

Nita
Oh Nita. I am sorry if you take my comments personally but I hardly expected you to be complicit with Filet Mingnon's rudeness. I think that the main difference in our opinions (if I remember correctly) comes down to religion...which is what I meant when I spoke of ideology. But then I got to thinking and really, even though I feel very strongly about this issue, for me it is ideology too since I am not gay. So I take that back.

No, at 34 I am certainly not young. No I think in this conversation it is not I who am being naive...especially since I am the one acknowledging problems that others are denying exist:

Naive:
1: marked by unaffected simplicity 2 a: deficient in worldly wisdom (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/naive)

In other words the word seems to apply much stronger to those who see the world as always being an ok place.

No it was not my choice to move to NE. My husband is a traveling academic for hire...he needed a job...what can you do?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Since both nmnita and Filet Mignon insist on remaining on this thread, I think it's only fair to ask them the following question:

Do you support legislation protecting gays from job and housing discrimination, and inheritance, insurance, and hospital visitation rights for gay domestic partners? I'm not including the marriage issue here.

I need a yes or no answer.
Sure.

Now, I'm calling you out on some of this nonsense. These things are not being denied to gays. I keep asking for you and other gays to provide proof that these rights are being denied to you, and you cannot provide proof!

Honestly, I think you're living in a world of deluded paranoia. You THINK that people everywhere are obsessing over you, and that simply is not the case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha