U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,149 times

Advertisements

I loved Evans Ice Cream Parlor! It was on 36th and Center just east Field Club. Of course, your memories may also be of GOODRICH Ice Cream Store!

Good Memories --- Maurie Gorat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM

61 posts, read 140,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I grew up in Omaha too, only it was the early to mid 90's.

I was lucky enough to experience Peony Park before it was closed down. My favorite rides there were the Wild Mouse and The Scrambler. I still remember going there the last night that the park was open. It was a bittersweet night, for sure.

I remember Indian Hills theater too. We saw Star Wars there when it was re-released in theaters back in 1996 or 1997. I also saw Twister there back in 1996 as well.

My ice cream parlor of choice was Goodrich on Saddlecreek. The Dinosaur Crunch ice cream was my favorite. Crossroads was also our favorite mall. That is where my mom would take us to see Santa every year and my dad used to take me and my brother there after school to eat at Stadium Dog in the food court.

We moved to Florida when I was 15, which was 2002. After nearly 7 years of trying to make Florida home, I've come to the realization that I'll never feel right here and I'm in the process of moving back.
This is me as well. I remember Peony Park... The Blackhole was my favorite, though my cousin did ralph on me the last time we were there! And that ride that went around the park.... we got stuck up there once... I think that is when my fear of heights first began lol. I still don't understand Keno.

Indian Hills was my favorite place to see a movie! Jurassic Park, Hook... so many.

my first job was at Crossroads. When I was in elementary, we lived by Westroads, but I always wanted to go to Crossroads. I think it was the food court .

My favorite ice cream chop was out by Fun Plex. I believe it was called Mary Dairy. They had the best dipped cones!

I'm so ready to move back.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 PM

216 posts, read 680,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang33 View Post
Does anyone remember the old Quebec Club on Ames?
I went there many times, but more so in the 80's. Good times there, and good bands. There was some good rock bars in Omaha, did you ever go to Peanut Island on 24th St. by the old Falstaff brewery? If I remember right, it's a auto parts store now. The good rock bars in CB was Fat Jacks, and the Other Place. When Fat Jacks was open David Letterman every so often had an update with some guy about happenings there. I thought it was funny how he (Letterman) ever came in contact with him, or if he just thought the name of the bar was funny?

There was race riots in the 70's too David, but over school integration. I went to Norris JH when they first started busing students from No. Omaha, there was fights almost daily and cops present to prevent them.
I remember the ones in the late 60's although I was young. Watched them on the news, and seen many areas near/on No. 24th that were damaged years later still. There used to be a Hinky Dinky grocery that got tore up, the whole store was robbed of all the groceries. For years after that it sat vacant with a tall chain link fence and barb wire on top. When the projects were down there, times were different, and so were the mix of races. They could have rehabbed the projects instead of bulldozing them down, but Omaha wasn't into much rehab then, they wanted the crime reduced since it was bad.

When the No. and So. Omaha projects were built, but they used to be nice units. The same goes for apt. buildings on Park Ave. and the Drake Court apts. Drake Court had very nice architecture within the units, and the exterior of the buildings.
Here's a history info page for Drake Court http://www.ecospheres.com/drake_workbook.pdf

This thread kind of went off topic, but oh well I'll agree with the OP years later.
Omaha still is a great place to live, and raise a family.

ETA: I used to work at the Goodrich Dairy plant on Saddle Creek (post office there now) and was able to eat all the dairy products I wanted. I still liked the stores though for ice cream.
I did go to Evan's often since I lived near Field Club area.

Last edited by SandmanSand; 06-24-2011 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or