U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,804,032 times

Advertisements

Is there any parts of this city that are really bad.I mean I've driven past it before but it didn't look bad.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:03 PM

30,205 posts, read 27,642,909 times
Lightbulb Just like anywhere else.

No Omaha isnít a ghetto; but it has locations that are aging or are becoming rundown just like most other cities around the country.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:23 AM

1,119 posts, read 3,809,732 times
Default Omaha...

does have its areas...
however, Omaha is about redevelopment and has incintives for these purposes. Omaha does not have the kind of ghettos you will find in cities like St Louis, Pittsburgh, KC, LA not only is it because it is about half the size of these cities (about 1/12 of LA), but Omaha does a good job at redeveloping these sites...

Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 AM

673 posts, read 3,743,880 times
Default North 16th, Florence, North 24th, North 30th and Ames (16th to 60th)

Those are the most run-down rought streets in Omaha, very few of the locals from the suburbs ever see North Omaha.

Omaha's crime rate is lower then it looks because it looks very rough on the surface in alot of neighborhoods but alot of the rough looking areas arent rough at all. Omaha has alot of blight, but its violent crime rate is lower then one would think. In fact Omaha in 2005 had a lower violent crime rate then Lincoln. Omaha does have some very high-crime areas but its very concentrated, much more so then alot of cities. However, the blight is not concentrated and is spread over a large area of East Omaha.

I dont think Omaha is that bad, it is very dirty and old in the inner-city area. North 16th, Florence, 24th and 30th have alot and I mean alot of boarded-up retail, homes and some boarded-up apartment buildings.

North 16th between Grace (2000N) and Ames (4500N) is probubly the most boarded-up area in Omaha and also the cheapest corridor in the city also.
However, North 16th despite looking very rough, has a fairly low crime and I think is the safest area in North-East Omaha its just so barren they dont have many problems.

North 30th in Omaha between Cuming and Ames is a very rough area with the epicenter of the violence being around the 30th and Maple area.

All and All, Omaha is worse then most midwestern cities on blight but has a lower violent crime rate then most midwestern cities.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Those are the most run-down rought streets in Omaha, very few of the locals from the suburbs ever see North Omaha.

Omaha's crime rate is lower then it looks because it looks very rough on the surface in alot of neighborhoods but alot of the rough looking areas arent rough at all. Omaha has alot of blight, but its violent crime rate is lower then one would think. In fact Omaha in 2005 had a lower violent crime rate then Lincoln. Omaha does have some very high-crime areas but its very concentrated, much more so then alot of cities. However, the blight is not concentrated and is spread over a large area of East Omaha.

I dont think Omaha is that bad, it is very dirty and old in the inner-city area. North 16th, Florence, 24th and 30th have alot and I mean alot of boarded-up retail, homes and some boarded-up apartment buildings.

North 16th between Grace (2000N) and Ames (4500N) is probubly the most boarded-up area in Omaha and also the cheapest corridor in the city also.
However, North 16th despite looking very rough, has a fairly low crime and I think is the safest area in North-East Omaha its just so barren they dont have many problems.

North 30th in Omaha between Cuming and Ames is a very rough area with the epicenter of the violence being around the 30th and Maple area.

All and All, Omaha is worse then most midwestern cities on blight but has a lower violent crime rate then most midwestern cities.

Mattden, give it up... oh yeah and post to the response that you gave on the misleading income information...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:05 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,188,492 times
I don't see blight as being that wide spread. I've lived in north Omaha for many years just off of 30th and in Florence and it's not as barren or boarded up as you make it sound.

Lots of the builldings are older so they aren't as easy to tell that they are still in use like many newer buildings. 30th St. really isn't run down. 24th St. is mainly residential the whole way north and south but the business centers along those streets (especially south) are seeing new businesses move in and cleaning up the streets.

The only area of Omaha that has true blight is north 16th Street. from Izard and up. But even then there are new homes being built along 16th St. and some new apartments have opened up in older buildings. There's still some retail and restaurants around 16th and Locust so even then it's not all that bad.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 50,922 times
Default Yes!

Overall?? No Omaha's not that ghetto...But there is a couple neighbor hoods where it is VERY ghetto...Ive lived in Des Moines,IA, Tracy,CA, and have witnesed first hand the ghetto's in tha Bay Area of CA. Dont even think that Omaha doesnt have a ghetto because I lived in it!!! Ever been to Jones ST.??? If you want hookers, gangs, drug dealers, and thugs... GO TOO JONES ST!!! Even though the area is cleaning up "for which I am very greatful for." Im from Cali I know what ghetto is... And belive it or not Omaha has ghettos. Jones St. was worse than Sacramento, San Francisco, Fresno, Stockton, Tracy, Modesto... The list goes on...Im not saying anything about the hoods of the listed areas because I have been to and resided in those ghettos.... I could go on about this but you get my point. YES Omaha does have a ghetto!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:58 AM

77 posts, read 463,598 times
Downtown is ghetto, Gene Leahy Mall being the center point.
As long as the city allows the homeless to congregate around that area, all the new condos and new development will be all for not.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 PM

This is Listen Up's second post, alot of credibility there, lol...
Nobody is saying that Omaha does not have a ghetto...
Nobody said that Omaha does not have blight...
However, Omaha's ghetto is nowhere near that of Frisco, lol...

I am wondering if Listen Up and Mattden somehow know each other :-)

Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,188,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post
Downtown is ghetto, Gene Leahy Mall being the center point.
As long as the city allows the homeless to congregate around that area, all the new condos and new development will be all for not.

If the Mall is so ghetto why do people bring their kids down there for the slides and to feed the ducks? Why do people run alone through the Mall for excercise? Why do people go out and skate on the water when it freezes over in the winter? It's must be because it's so NOT GHETTO that people like to be down there. Welcome to any big city USA. You're going to have homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or