U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,745 posts, read 83,373,533 times
Reputation: 41575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yes, being poor, unable to pay your bills, living on assistance in cheap housing while raising a family is a dream come true.

I don't know what it's like in Florida but I imagine it isn't anything extra to go through to get it here.
Oh for heaven's sake, I didn't mean it the way you took it, I meant, some people and I know of many, who think moving from one place to the other will work magic. They live in the dream world they will win the lottery or hit a big jackpot or maybe get the perfect job that will save them..Any of us who have been around for awhile have known many people like this. They are also the ones who go from hoping for help to thinking they deserve it..

As I said, if you took time to read it and not just the part you wanted to read, there will alwys be some who, for what ever reason need help. No one would ever turn them away, especially the kids or the elderly, but I am a firm beleiver many looking for help really have mostly themselves to blame.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
 
2,214 posts, read 1,724,574 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yes, being poor, unable to pay your bills, living on assistance in cheap housing while raising a family is a dream come true.

I don't know what it's like in Florida but I imagine it isn't anything extra to go through to get it here.
Well, in the eyes of some people, it's obviously a heckuva lot more appealing than getting and keeping a job, making good decisions, and living in a responsible manner.

Living in a parasitic manner is often necessary in times of crisis. But when it becomes a chosen lifestyle, it is wrong. My tax dollars should not be used to buy food for people who would rather spend their money on cigarettes than groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,194,948 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh for heaven's sake, I didn't mean it the way you took it, I meant, some people and I know of many, who think moving from one place to the other will work magic. They live in the dream world they will win the lottery or hit a big jackpot or maybe get the perfect job that will save them..Any of us who have been around for awhile have known many people like this. They are also the ones who go from hoping for help to thinking they deserve it..

As I said, if you took time to read it and not just the part you wanted to read, there will alwys be some who, for what ever reason need help. No one would ever turn them away, especially the kids or the elderly, but I am a firm beleiver many looking for help really have mostly themselves to blame.

Nita

I read all of what you posted, not the just the parts I "wanted" to.

I think it's just short sighted for some people to think that everyone living on welfare is some leach or is accustomed to living that way. Everyone on here was so quick to jump on someone and condemn them for asking a question. I'm sure that's not how you want to welcome anyone to our state from any economic background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
 
1,368 posts, read 1,676,616 times
Reputation: 1111
Thanks for your replies (especially the member who sent me a PM).
I know the criticism is not direted at me and is a valid expression of the dissatisfaction with our system and people who abuse it. I saw the abusers first-hand, and what I've seen would surprise you. I'll elaborate later when I get a break here.
I am neither proud nor ashamed of my position. Whoopi Goldberg was on welfare and she really became a success. That's my goal in life....To Be A Success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,207,166 times
Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Thanks for your replies (especially the member who sent me a PM).
I know the criticism is not direted at me and is a valid expression of the dissatisfaction with our system and people who abuse it. I saw the abusers first-hand, and what I've seen would surprise you. I'll elaborate later when I get a break here.
I am neither proud nor ashamed of my position. Whoopi Goldberg was on welfare and she really became a success. That's my goal in life....To Be A Success.
I don't think a majority of the post were directed at you. It just triggered a subject which many people are very frustrated with.

If you need help in the short term, you deserve the help. That's what Americans do for each other.

If this assistance is factored into one's future budget and a feeling of entitlement comes with that, that is very wrong.

Good luck with everything and someday you will be helping others in the exact same way, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,745 posts, read 83,373,533 times
Reputation: 41575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I read all of what you posted, not the just the parts I "wanted" to.

I think it's just short sighted for some people to think that everyone living on welfare is some leach or is accustomed to living that way. Everyone on here was so quick to jump on someone and condemn them for asking a question. I'm sure that's not how you want to welcome anyone to our state from any economic background.
again, you are seeing, from comments only what you want to see. Not everyone, including myself thinks everyone on welfare is a leach, we are saying, more are than are not. I have repeated this over and over, some people need assistance and most would not turn their back on these people, what is it about that comment you can't or don't want to accept? I beleive there is an old saying "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime" I have worked with the poor, the working poor and others, I do know what I am talking about. Many start out wanting some help and need it, only to decide they deserve it after time. Again, this is not everyone by any means.

Are you telling me, it doesn't bother you when someone wants public assistance because they are in debt? Or it's ok to keep having kids even if you can't support them?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM
 
5,244 posts, read 4,287,460 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I read all of what you posted, not the just the parts I "wanted" to.

I think it's just short sighted for some people to think that everyone living on welfare is some leach or is accustomed to living that way. Everyone on here was so quick to jump on someone and condemn them for asking a question. I'm sure that's not how you want to welcome anyone to our state from any economic background.
The fact that the OP has stated he is relocating and knows that he will immediately have to be on Nebraska's welfare is what people are getting upset over. If the OP thinks about it, makes a more thoughtful choice, he should reconsider moving because along with moving come a lot of expenses (moving with all the family-gas,food for the drive, deposits for apt, utilities) that he perhaps should not incur given the state of his "own" personal economic situation. It's all about the choices we make as individuals that gets us in whatever situation we are in--owning up to what is going on rather than always finding someone/something else to blame it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,745 posts, read 83,373,533 times
Reputation: 41575
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
The fact that the OP has stated he is relocating and knows that he will immediately have to be on Nebraska's welfare is what people are getting upset over. If the OP thinks about it, makes a more thoughtful choice, he should reconsider moving because along with moving come a lot of expenses (moving with all the family-gas,food for the drive, deposits for apt, utilities) that he perhaps should not incur given the state of his "own" personal economic situation. It's all about the choices we make as individuals that gets us in whatever situation we are in--owning up to what is going on rather than always finding someone/something else to blame it on.
Great thoughts, yes, I too, as well as my husband were discussing the cost of the move regardless of the rest. I have to question how someone, who is expecting to get assistance can afford the cost of the move...No matter how you look at it, just the drive alone is not like moving a few hundred miles. You are talking a couple of days drving at the least..Then, as you mentioned finding housing for a family of 6 plus the deposits, etc. I do hope we find out one of these days, the reason for the re-location.

I know when I mention so many live in a dream world I think about the comment the OP made, Whoopie was on welfare and look at her, I am going to be a success just like her. We all know stories of stars that started out "poor" look at Lorresta Lynn, but they are few and far between.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
872 posts, read 2,601,269 times
Reputation: 487
Hmm... something about the original post didn't ring quite true and I am wondering if the OP was trying to elicit a certain set of responses.

Looking at the OP's posts elsewhere on City Data, I came across a post in the Real Estate Professionals forum which included the following: "We are very experienced buyers and can have far more leverage with sellers/agents by having the buyers agent commission (3%) to negotiate with. We are looking at a high end purchase of +300k, so we're talking about 10k-20k in negotiating leverage"

So, looking to make a purchase in November for over 300K (on a salary in the 30s), now looking to move to Omaha and use public assistance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
The economy is no better here than in FL - in fact, you will earn a lot less if you plan on working, and probably, daily, have to travel a lot further to find work.
Actually Granny I gotta disagree with that.

Here in Florida we are losing jobs at a remarkable rate while Omaha is gaining jobs. Pay is low here (as is with most southern, non-union states) and the cost of living is very high. Plus, with the way the Tampa area is so spread out it's not unheard of for people to drive an hour or more to work.

Also keep in mind that in this area, you'll spend $150k at least to find a decent home in a decent part of town and it only gets worse as you go further south. That's quite a bit more than in Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top