U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM

481 posts, read 1,150,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Small houses, small rooms, small lots, small garages, you get the picture. Not to say that this is a negative, but we wanted to experience something different.
I have a third of an acre near 60th and western. Not all of the east Omaha lots are small. My house is another story........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Quote:
When we moved here we chose West O for the simple reason that we had lived on the east coast our entire lives. East of 72nd was the east coast equivalent. Small houses, small rooms, small lots, small garages, you get the picture. Not to say that this is a negative, but we wanted to experience something different.
LOTS of big homes east of 72nd in Omaha (and they have a ton of character)...

Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,722,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
LOTS of big homes east of 72nd in Omaha (and they have a ton of character)...
Ever been up Florence Blvd - or the Minne Lusa? Some VERY cool old homes out there!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 AM

280 posts, read 708,607 times
Dave, I'm sorry that I didn't elaborate. I should have mentioned that we had a budget. While we did look at houses east of 72nd, and some were big, the $/SF was much higher than out west.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Quote:
Dave, I'm sorry that I didn't elaborate. I should have mentioned that we had a budget. While we did look at houses east of 72nd, and some were big, the $/SF was much higher than out west.
Understand that... and yes, alot of those big homes east of 72nd are big dollars.... but depending on the area you look for there are some great old homes with tons of character that are lower in price (I'm guessing because of the perception of the area), but need to be comfortable with the location (not sure I would be, but do love the homes)....

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,210,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Understand that... and yes, alot of those big homes east of 72nd are big dollars.... but depending on the area you look for there are some great old homes with tons of character that are lower in price (I'm guessing because of the perception of the area), but need to be comfortable with the location (not sure I would be, but do love the homes)....
There are some great homes near where I live (42nd and Leavenworth) but the one thing that is too bad about this neighborhood is that the lots tend to be smallish. Plus I hate living right next to a golf course...but that's Omaha for ya. I see no problems with safety, but I've lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco so maybe my radar is a bit skewed.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
There are some great homes near where I live (42nd and Leavenworth) but the one thing that is too bad about this neighborhood is that the lots tend to be smallish. Plus I hate living right next to a golf course...but that's Omaha for ya. I see no problems with safety, but I've lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco so maybe my radar is a bit skewed.
What I find interesting - not being "from" Omaha - is how many incredible Tudor houses are in the midtown area of the city. They are incredibly cool. But, unfortunately, many are very small. And the attached garages are basically glorified tool sheds.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,460,433 times
i live in benson and the 72nd street divide is in a ways real

but is mainly cause some folks out west are pricks and think everything east of 72nd street is "bad"

Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 AM

280 posts, read 708,607 times
Interesting that this topic appears on this forum and the recent articles on crime hit the news stands.

Today's map in the OWH does show another interesting divide between west and east of 72nd.http://content.omaha.com/media/maps/...15lsrobmap.jpg

I guess that the "pricks" out west don't have the time to commit as many crimes as the folks back east. Maybe its because they are too busy sitting around thinking that everything east of 72nd street is bad.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Interesting that this topic appears on this forum and the recent articles on crime hit the news stands.

Today's map in the OWH does show another interesting divide between west and east of 72nd.http://content.omaha.com/media/maps/...15lsrobmap.jpg

I guess that the "pricks" out west don't have the time to commit as many crimes as the folks back east. Maybe its because they are too busy sitting around thinking that everything east of 72nd street is bad.
You know though, the West part of Omaha has its share of problems too. The drug busts at the Millard Schools don't make the news, but they're happening.

One of my wife's co-workers lives in Elkhorn. Last spring she was talking about a big party some of those kids were having out by the lake - at the home of one of the Omaha big-shots. HUGE drug and booze bust. 70 some kids, I think? All the sudden it was just hush-hush. Nobody ever heard anything more about it. If those had been Omaha North High School kids, there would have been no end to the media coverage.

There really are some things money can buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or