U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 AM

481 posts, read 1,151,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post

One of my wife's co-workers lives in Elkhorn. Last spring she was talking about a big party some of those kids were having out by the lake - at the home of one of the Omaha big-shots. HUGE drug and booze bust. 70 some kids, I think? All the sudden it was just hush-hush. Nobody ever heard anything more about it. If those had been Omaha North High School kids, there would have been no end to the media coverage.

There really are some things money can buy.
That was at Rod Kush's house. Look where he is at now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,724,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
That was at Rod Kush's house. Look where he is at now.
Yep. It costs a LOT of money to keep HUGE legal problems like that quiet.

Actually, the one I was referring to was not at Kush's house. It was another one.

My point is that although there certainly ARE gang/drug problems in east Omaha - particularly North Omaha - there is no part of the metro area that is immune.

Live where you want to live, and love where you live.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,276,004 times
The divide is real, and while some people avoid going east because of 'fear', I think for the most part is simply gas.
I used to live in midtown, and when I did I very very rarely went west of 90th street. Now I live in Papillion and I rarely go North of Harrison. Not because life is better here or whatever, just because I like to keep things close, and support neighborhood businesses.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,207,696 times
Quote:
Yep. It costs a LOT of money to keep HUGE legal problems like that quiet.

Actually, the one I was referring to was not at Kush's house. It was another one.

My point is that although there certainly ARE gang/drug problems in east Omaha - particularly North Omaha - there is no part of the metro area that is immune.

Live where you want to live, and love where you live.
I remember a party Fahey's daughter hosted in his home when he was away. She got absolutely hammered for that one! Prob just because he was an incoming mayor, though.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,465,863 times
Quote:
If those had been Omaha North High School kids, there would have been no end to the media coverage.

There really are some things money can buy.

filet, you are so right.

the Omaha World herald especially would be hounding Omaha North High if it was them.

cause the only two Omaha metro area high schools allowed to be picked on in the media are;

Omaha North High (where I graduated from in 1998

also Papillion-Lavista High School (thank OWH columnist Joe Dejka for the PLVHS bashing in 2008 and 2009

Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 AM

46 posts, read 127,420 times
I think that omaha is very diverse and that west omaha is very cookie cutter and boring i mean trust me i live in millard and I love downtown and midtown there is so much more diversity there it is so amazing!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM

124 posts, read 269,498 times
I'm not from Omaha originally, been here about three years, but even without that stigma ingrained into my brain from childhood, I've always stayed away from west O (basically past like, 84th or around). I just don't enjoy the cookie cutter homes and 98% of people driving SUV's or huge trucks, no matter if there's 5 or 1 person in the car. I seriously think cars that big should be limited to families of 4 or more.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,694,847 times
Its more like 50% driving SUVs and trucks aren't very common.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 AM

71,750 posts, read 83,387,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuda View Post
I'm not from Omaha originally, been here about three years, but even without that stigma ingrained into my brain from childhood, I've always stayed away from west O (basically past like, 84th or around). I just don't enjoy the cookie cutter homes and 98% of people driving SUV's or huge trucks, no matter if there's 5 or 1 person in the car. I seriously think cars that big should be limited to families of 4 or more.
I am sure you are not serious about the SUV or truck comment? You don't really think there should or could be a way to regulate who drives what??

bTW, I don't care for them either. Heck, that is why I can't find my car in the parking lot half the time, it is between an oversized truck and an SUV.

Nita

Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 66,611 times
I agree its now more north and south. Anywhere south of Harrison St. is booming. Has anyone been down Hwy 370 from Bellevue to I80 going west lately ??? or all the way to 203 St. and north from 370 ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or