U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM

736 posts, read 1,664,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Sheesh, this gets old. Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

So we had a double-homicide at 62nd & Ames the other night. As with virtually all the shootings in Omaha, there's no question that those involved are career criminals.

But you'll ALWAYS have a mom, an aunt, sister or friends saying stuff like, "He had trouble with the law, but he wasn't into robbing!" or "He was working really hard to get his life on track."

They want to try to convince us that those involved were really innocent victims. Yeah right...

Kind of like Michael Nordmeyer, shot in the Ralston area of Omaha last week. Nobody can figure out why anybody would shoot such a nice young man. A nice young man that "just happened" to have had an arrest for drug possession, and later, carrying a concealed weapon. Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

Sometimes I think we'd all be better off if we could somehow round up all these people, put them in a huge cage, and let them all kill each other. Let them do their thing in a controlled area, so that no inoccent bystanders are involved.
I really think that some people in this town are so desensitized to violence. The mother of the 16 year old boy that was killed, said on Channel 6 News the other night......."Sure he got into some trouble about a year ago"........sob .. sob... "But all kids get into trouble like that".....

No No No!!!!!!!!! 99.9999999999% of kids don't get into trouble like that!

16 year old kids do not point loaded guns at Police Officers, and get shot in the leg for it. If you listen to the words of the people and listen to what they are saying..... the problems are far more greater than you would think.
If your 16 years olds carring a gun around town.... your in way to deep and Where is your Mother now?!

About the CC permits, I just bought a new .40 cal but I won't get a carry permit. Becaue I won't carry it concealed out in public, I will carry in the open if needed, I don't see the need.

I also won't walk down the street at night or use an ATM at Night or put myself in dangerous situations.
I made it 36 years without seeing a robbery, stabbing, Drug deal, rape, car jacking, driveby. I don't exect to see any in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM

55,579 posts, read 74,459,549 times
amazing every criminal shot with a monster record, next day in the papers he's a will smith i am legend, lookalike, rhodes scholar, in the choir, perfect family member.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 AM

71,736 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
amazing every criminal shot with a monster record, next day in the papers he's a will smith i am legend, lookalike, rhodes scholar, in the choir, perfect family member.
Or if he shots someone and kills them he needs to be mentally evaluated cause there are no bad people just misled ones or those who are mentally challenged...

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,423,194 times
When OJ's exwife was first found murdered, I recall two,older men interviewed on tv saying emphatically that OJ did not do it.

They stated------"we golf with OJ, we know OJ, he did not do it "----

Yeah,right !

Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 AM

71,736 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
When OJ's exwife was first found murdered, I recall two,older men interviewed on tv saying emphatically that OJ did not do it.

They stated------"we golf with OJ, we know OJ, he did not do it "----

Yeah,right !
I hate to admit this, but I was one who didn't beleive he did it, I certainly didn't beleive he did it alone..

Through the years I have come to realize, he did do it...shame on the jury, but that is what our country is about and they adquitted him

Nita

Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,724,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hate to admit this, but I was one who didn't beleive he did it, I certainly didn't beleive he did it alone..

Through the years I have come to realize, he did do it...shame on the jury, but that is what our country is about and they adquitted him

Nita
I think that one reason OJ got off is because of - more or less - a technicality. The prosecution went for the jugular vein. They wanted multiple counts of 1st Degree Murder. Unfortunately, they couldn't prove it to that extent. So... he was acquitted. And since you can't be tried for the same crime twice, he's free. On the other hand, if they had tried him for 2nd Degree Murder, I think he'd still be serving his prison time for it.

But that's just my opinion...

Back to the innocent boys who were killed at 62nd & Ames: Did you see that the kid who was shot & taken to Creighton Hospital has talked to reporters? He's making it sound like the owner of the place let the two guys in, locked the door behind them, and basically executed them.

Interesting.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:33 AM

516 posts, read 1,210,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Isn't that making the assumption that "every criminal shot with a monster record" is black "will smith...lookalike."?

Sheesh.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,531,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Cool.

You know, I'd think cops would WANT people trained and able to handle a gun responsibly. I'm not sure they're necessarily for more people having guns, but there are lots of people that already have them - so let's make sure they know how to use them properly, when to not use them, and how to have self control.
Agree

The cops that I have talked to (and that's both street level and command level) understand that there are a lot of good people that are trained in the proper use of firearms - either from being with them their entire life (e.g. growing up hunting), were trained in them with the military (huge consideration in this metro), or are former public safety types... the combination of those three scenarios is a good percentage of our population...

They generally believe that from that segment of population, if someone goes through the additional REQUIRED training to get a concealed carry permit AND actually invests in a firearm (not a cheap investment)... that that kind of person actually fires the gun more than the actual law enforcement personnel.

There are many law enforcement folks that carry a gun as part of their job, who only actually shoot their weapons once or twice a year during training and qualification.

The citizens who go through the work and investment to get a concealed carry permit and have a firearm tend to shoot much more than that once or twice a year. They tend to go to the range or out shooting on a more frequent basis.

I have seen a study that talks to the above, but can't remember the source... I will ask one of my cop friends for the reference and will post it if can find it.

I have no concern with concealed carry and in fact think Nebraska's law is too restrictive.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,206,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Isn't that making the assumption that "every criminal shot with a monster record" is black "will smith...lookalike."?

Sheesh.
Lol, If I was in the life insurance business I would guess I would find the probably supports his post. Numbers are numbers. May not be 100% of the time with shootings (white people usually get stabbed) but I would bet it's a very high percentage.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,206 posts, read 3,408,452 times
Let me guess.. is most of the violent crime happening in the, shall we say, "diverse" part of town??
Same story in every city, all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or