U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,526,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
This is a really good point, and I would only add to it to expand the notion of family to include local community. There are many strong communities out there that suffer from poverty, but crime (especially gangs) tends to be focused on those areas without strong family or local community pride.
I agree with you. In fact, I fully believe the reason kids join gangs is that they fill that need for family - the gangs are not stupid, they know how to exploit that...

Last edited by Dave1215; 01-16-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Could anyone define the Open Carry laws? Never heard of it.

From what I understand the minimum age to open carry is 18. You can open carry in a car, but it must be in full view. Nebraska allows preemption (so local towns can pass laws to restrict).

Note: in some towns (incl Omaha) the gun must be registered, even if you don't live there... which is why I think the Omaha City Council is specifically going after UNregistered guns in one tool for fighting crime, those are the law breakers, not the registered.

Even though its legal you better know what you are getting into... some smaller towns it is no big deal (I think there is a guy in Plattsmouth that open carries all the time)... but if you go into an area where they aren't used to, just think what might happen when someone calls 911 and only says that I see a guy in the store with a gun... the person with the gun in his holster out in the open better be ready to talk to the responding officers, to be put through a warrants check, and to answer some questions... but in the end, he'll be found legal and free to move on (with the gun still in the open).

If you do have it in full view in the car, also be sure you really understand the best way to interact with police if you are pulled over for any reason... (concealed carry training will teach how to go about this)

I just did a quick google search and found these sites devoted to Open Carry (not vouching for them as I'm not familiar with them, just answering the post of not being familiar with the concept). I think alot of states allow it.
http://opencarry.org/
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry

Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,202,649 times
Thanks for explaing that. I'm originally from Iowa and wasn't familiar with that law.

As for carrying open or concealed, I personally would opt not to. I think I could possibly get myself into a situation I couldn't get out of. That is one reason why I'm so apprehensive of others carrying around me. I try to use good judgement for the most part in life and I know so many people (who could obtain a permit) who do not use good judgement at all.

However, if I ran into a situation where I would have needed it (and I've came close in the past), I may decide otherwise. (hopefully that never happens)

Like another poster said, if you are smart, you can easily avoid trouble.

Certain parts of town getting pretty bad which weren't previously, though. Just take the kwik shop at 108th n Maple, I will never go there ever again after dark.

Last edited by thatguy1; 01-16-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 04:19 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,070,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Certain parts of town getting pretty bad which weren't previously, though. Just take the kwik shop at 108th n Maple, I will never go there ever again after dark.

Huh? Nothing wrong with that area of town.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 AM

1,368 posts, read 1,674,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Jesus are you all crazy? Adding more guns to fix the problems with guns? Right....

If you're in a convencience store being robbed with a gun and you pull out a gun all you're doing is exponetially increasing the chance of the robber opening fire with whoever else is in the store in the way getting hit.

It is our right to arm ourselves, and our obligation to society to help others in distress.

How are you going to do that with out a gun,....smother him with your love? Using the passive-agression therapy from Dr. Feelgood will only enrage the evil-doer and get more people harmed.

If you're not man enough to take charge (ie:responsibility), hopefully there will be an armed man or woman present to protect you and the valuable lives of others.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,202,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

Huh? Nothing wrong with that area of town.
Oh yeah there is. I used to live right near the Sunny Slope neighborhood. That gas station I mentioned was gang banger infested anytime after dark.

The neighborhoods on the north side of Maple are very commonly burglarized and there have been several homicides in recent years.

My job requires that I also track crime trends in the metro and the area is nothing like it was 15 years ago. As low cost and government subsidized housing moves further west of 90th st. the crime rate has risen dramatically. Home break-ins are particularly bad.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:52 AM

736 posts, read 1,663,483 times
Oh, by the way. The fellows that were shot and killed are/were gang members.

Now another business in North Omaha is more than likely to go out of business. Due to fear of retalliation.

The circle of life in North Omaha, keeps on rolling down hill.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,002 times
This is exactly why I told all of my children to NOT be 'nice'. I didn't want them getting into trouble. Didja ever notice that there is always SOMEone - a fifth grade teacher or a relative - saying for the camera, "He was such a NICE boy"? eeek! It's like a curse...

Well, I carry, and twice it has saved my life from punks who thought they could 'have fun' and terrorize, even assault, an old lady. I didn't have to fire it either time. My son is a firearms instructor, and all of my children carry. I'd rather see people able and ready to defend themselves than people laying on a floor in a pool of their own blood, waiting for the help that sometimes didn't even know it was supposed to come, or came too late to do anything but write a report.

Nothing AT ALL against cops, but they can't be everywhere, in everyone's neighborhood or front yard, all of the time. As my daughter says, "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!" If folks started taking more responsibility for their own safety, they might be able to quash or at least keep at bay the punks who think that the world owes them a living...

I'm not a social worker and I don't care who or what they choose to blame for their poor choices. When they infringe on my right to a peaceful and productive life, their rights end.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,812,793 times
Default ...

Come on people..

Nice people are in the vast minority of crime committers..

Most of them are trouble and obvious trouble..

I like to think I'm nice, but I don't want to have to start being a jerk in fear of people not talking to me out of fear...

Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Nothing AT ALL against cops, but they can't be everywhere, in everyone's neighborhood or front yard, all of the time. As my daughter says, "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!" If folks started taking more responsibility for their own safety, they might be able to quash or at least keep at bay the punks who think that the world owes them a living...
As always, great write-up Granny.

People tend to think of police as being there for personal (individual safety), but that is a falicy - they are there for public (general) safety.

First, we could not afford what it would cost to insure individual personal safety by the police and second most would not support that as it would look like a police state(and we couldn't afford it from a tax perspective anyway).

People need to take more responsibility and understand that only they are responsible for their personal individual safety.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or