Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:03 PM

370 posts, read 1,357,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
To answer your question IsThisOneTaken:'Can you provide a link to show this law? Or are you confusing it with the law that prohibits carrying a loaded shotgun in a motor vehicle? "

I could take a few minutes/hours to research that exact statute and its number but I won't. You nailed it in your question. It is legal in Nebraska to carry a loaded pistol or rifle in plain sight even in a vehicle but it is illegal to carry a loaded shotgun in a vehicle. At least it is IF it is Hunting Season and the one carrying the loaded shotgun holds a Hunting License.

This is a good example of WHY lawyers have job security.

GL2
I don't see anything in the loaded shotgun statute that specifies if must be hunting season and you must hold a hunting license to violate the law. Yes, it was designed primarily to combat road hunting, but I think the law applies to anyone, year-round. Unless you have another statute or case law to say otherwise...

But we digress, what was this thread about anyway?

Nebraska Revised Statute 37-522

Revised Statutes » Chapter 37 » 37-522
Shotgun on highway; restrictions; violation; penalty.
Print Preview

37-522 Shotgun on highway; restrictions; violation; penalty. It shall be unlawful to have or carry, except as permitted by law, any shotgun having shells in either the chamber, receiver, or magazine in or on any vehicle on any highway. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor and shall be fined at least fifty dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
I don't see anything in the loaded shotgun statute that specifies if must be hunting season and you must hold a hunting license to violate the law. Yes, it was designed primarily to combat road hunting, but I think the law applies to anyone, year-round. Unless you have another statute or case law to say otherwise...

But we digress, what was this thread about anyway?

Nebraska Revised Statute 37-522

Revised Statutes » Chapter 37 » 37-522
Shotgun on highway; restrictions; violation; penalty.
Print Preview

37-522 Shotgun on highway; restrictions; violation; penalty. It shall be unlawful to have or carry, except as permitted by law, any shotgun having shells in either the chamber, receiver, or magazine in or on any vehicle on any highway. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor and shall be fined at least fifty dollars.
"except as permitted by law"
Like I said in an earlier post IsThisTaken vaguely worded laws like this are the reasons very few lawyers are unemployed. If you want to test the law load up your shotgun and put it in your pickup and then draw the attention of a Cop. Chances are IF you are stopped you will be ticketed.

If you can afford a competent attorney and get a trial before a knowledgeable Judge you will be acquitted. Unless you **** someone off LOL.

GL2

Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM

370 posts, read 1,357,043 times
I'm still confused. I get the feeling that this law applies 24/7-365. NOT just to licensed hunters during hunting season, as you stated earlier.

That is the part I'm trying to understand.

I agree, if I load up a shotgun and travel down the Interstate at 20 over (because the 10 over guys don't seem to get the Troopers attention), I'll get ticketed. And I think it matters not whether I have a hunting license and what season it is, right?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Jesus are you all crazy? Adding more guns to fix the problems with guns? Right....

If you're in a convencience store being robbed with a gun and you pull out a gun all you're doing is exponetially increasing the chance of the robber opening fire with whoever else is in the store in the way getting hit.
You probably don't want to move to Vermont. Every citizen there can carry concealed without needing a permit. Coincidence or not, Vermont also has just about the lowest crime rate in the country.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I know the stats and they do show that it does lower crime in some instances but if you want to argue it in our local scenario it looks like the opposite is true.

But with all the people that really, really, really want to carry a gun around I don't see a lot of them being the picture of knowledge, training, or restraint.
Elected officials in over 40 states seem to disagree.

www.wikipedia.com

Type in: Concealed carry in the United States ( Case sensitive).

Check out the map . Some very impressive progress in 20 years.

And don't forget National Parks since early this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha