Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Let me guess.. is most of the violent crime happening in the, shall we say, "diverse" part of town??
Same story in every city, all over the country.
99% of it is gang & drug related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
99% of it is gang & drug related.
Which is related to poverty. Not race.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Which is related to poverty. Not race.
Yes, Poverty breeds crime. Can't argue that.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Since most violent crime is connected to poverty it seems to me a more rational path would be to address the imbalances in the financial system. Instead of buying another gun perchance you could give that money to charity?
I tend to believe most violent crime is more connected to bad home life (broken family - dad absent etc) and that would be a more rathional path to address fundamentally...

I don't discount the impact of poverty to compound the issue, but I think its more the dad issue... I can think of areas that have had very high poverty for very long periods of time (including generations) that do not have high crime issues... But I can not think of areas where the family structure has broken so far for so long that crime hasn't increased....

Last edited by Dave1215; 01-16-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
I really think that some people in this town are so desensitized to violence. The mother of the 16 year old boy that was killed, said on Channel 6 News the other night......."Sure he got into some trouble about a year ago"........sob .. sob... "But all kids get into trouble like that".....

No No No!!!!!!!!! 99.9999999999% of kids don't get into trouble like that!

16 year old kids do not point loaded guns at Police Officers, and get shot in the leg for it. If you listen to the words of the people and listen to what they are saying..... the problems are far more greater than you would think.
If your 16 years olds carring a gun around town.... your in way to deep and Where is your Mother now?!

About the CC permits, I just bought a new .40 cal but I won't get a carry permit. Becaue I won't carry it concealed out in public, I will carry in the open if needed, I don't see the need.

I also won't walk down the street at night or use an ATM at Night or put myself in dangerous situations.
I made it 36 years without seeing a robbery, stabbing, Drug deal, rape, car jacking, driveby. I don't exect to see any in the future.
GREAT POST - lots of people are suprised to know that open carry is legal in Nebraska... its concealed carry that requires the permit... I have not done it, but know someone who does - suprisingly he said most folks don't question it and not too many funny looks after the initial glance...

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Could anyone define the Open Carry laws? Never heard of it.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I tend to believe most violent crime is more connected to bad home life (broken family - dad absent etc) and that would be a more rathional path to address fundamentally... I don't discount the impact of poverty to compound the issue, but I think its more the dad issue...
I can promise you all that I grew up a LOT poorer than any of these thugs. The difference is that it was long enough ago that everyone was poor. Plus, my mom & dad were/are married, and we had so much work to do on the farm that there simply wasn't time to get into trouble.

The problem isn't just money. There are lots and lots of very poor people who are ethical, law-abiding citizens.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Or if he shots someone and kills them he needs to be mentally evaluated cause there are no bad people just misled ones or those who are mentally challenged...
in california we have no crime, just lots and lots of terrible misunderstandings.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in california we have no crime, just lots and lots of terrible misunderstandings.
Thank you, Oprah.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I tend to believe most violent crime is more connected to bad home life (broken family - dad absent etc) and that would be a more rathional path to address fundamentally...

I don't discount the impact of poverty to compound the issue, but I think its more the dad issue... I can think of areas that have had very high poverty for very long periods of time (including generations) that do not have high crime issues... But I can not think of areas where the family structure has broken so far for so long that crime hasn't increased....
This is a really good point, and I would only add to it to expand the notion of family to include local community. There are many strong communities out there that suffer from poverty, but crime (especially gangs) tends to be focused on those areas without strong family or local community pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha