U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
 
87 posts, read 500,724 times
Reputation: 59

Advertisements

I'm driving from coast to coast and have stopped in Omaha. Sorry everyone, but I just didn't like it. Of the people I spoke to, they were all rather cold. Not rude, but not very welcoming either. Something as simple as saying you're welcome after I say thank you can go a long way. This is in complete contrast to my stop in a Chicago suburb, which I loved. Of course this could just be a coincidence. Perhaps I will be able to give Omaha another chance in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 761,894 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
I'm driving from coast to coast and have stopped in Omaha. Sorry everyone, but I just didn't like it. Of the people I spoke to, they were all rather cold. Not rude, but not very welcoming either. Something as simple as saying you're welcome after I say thank you can go a long way. This is in complete contrast to my stop in a Chicago suburb, which I loved. Of course this could just be a coincidence. Perhaps I will be able to give Omaha another chance in the future.
Ummmm....Keep truckin' I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,652,191 times
Reputation: 477
This is just mind boggling to me!! People talk to one or two people and judge an entire city based on it. You're telling me that based on your conversations with people in Omaha and Chicago you can somehow get an idea of what the populations as a whole are like?

I'm not trying to be rude here but that's just kind of silly! There are rude people and polite people in every city in the world. Spend a few weeks in each place and then you might be able to make a comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 761,894 times
Reputation: 119
Yeah, it's just like saying...

I stopped to take a **** and I ran into some *******...??

Kinda absurd if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 PM
 
87 posts, read 500,724 times
Reputation: 59
I didn't know this thread was only open to extensively researched opinions formed over multiple weeks, sorry!

My post didn't have any conclusions, I just explained my experience as a first time visitor to Omaha. Take it as you will.

Oh, and its not like I just drove by, which is what some of you seem to be thinking. I spent the better part of a day going around town, and stayed the night as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,652,191 times
Reputation: 477
I'm not saying you can't present your opinion about your experience. My problem is that you present it in a way that infers Omaha people are rude and Chicago people are polite. You're more than welcome to say that, but I'm more than welcome to say that conclusion is without merit. The Omaha metro has a population of about 800,000...I just doubt you can get much of a feel for Omaha by staying one night in a localized section of it.

You come on an Omaha forum and say you don't like it based on an experience that last less than 24 hours. Do you really expect people not to respond to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
 
87 posts, read 500,724 times
Reputation: 59
Well, perhaps I didn't expect people to infer I was attempting to do anything but write about my opinion of Omaha after a limited visit, which may or may not be representative of anything at all.

But I certainly hope that other temporary visitors have a great experience in Omaha, after all I am on my way to relocate to a city after a chain of events started by a good first impression on a two day visit. And with that, I'll let you residents have your thread back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,731 posts, read 2,302,218 times
Reputation: 6489
Default Another 'country' heard from

Hello all...this is just my 2nd overall post, and I wanted to make it here after reading this particular thread carefully...I'm a 51-yr old black man currently residing in SW Ohio (Middletown to be exact LOL), and I gotta tell you, I was most impressed by all the Omaha photos and information found here.

I had once upon a time (in my single days) considered moving to Omaha. Once I made my intentions known, I was inundated by all manner of well-meaning but misguided advice---'There aren't any black people in Nebraska! Why on earth would you move there?...you get the picture LOL.

To ehenningsen and all the others who posted those WONDERFUL pictures---THANK YOU!!! I was most impressed with present-day Omaha, and I'm doubtless sure that not ALL blacks in Omaha live on the North Side...I absolutely love big, old homes and neighborhoods, and the pics of the different areas were most impressive...

To those who had a less-than-pleasant experience, I totally understand the need for you to express your views, but I am also blown away by the Omaha boosterism and pride that shone through on this thread like a rainbow after a storm...please keep that attitude, and to those who lament the lack of LA-style this or NYC-style that, like SO MANY folks do in my part of Ohio, then I would suggest that you seriously consider relocating to those places so you can have your NY/LA fix, and quit thinking that those of us in the Midwest and the Heartland are either insane or stupid for not wanting to live in those overcrowded cesspools...

I'll close by saying that Omaha would be on my list again of places to live, should I ever leave Ohio again...you folks have a wonderful city, and you have EVERY RIGHT to puff out your chests with pride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 761,894 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Hello all...this is just my 2nd overall post, and I wanted to make it here after reading this particular thread carefully...I'm a 51-yr old black man currently residing in SW Ohio (Middletown to be exact LOL), and I gotta tell you, I was most impressed by all the Omaha photos and information found here.

I had once upon a time (in my single days) considered moving to Omaha. Once I made my intentions known, I was inundated by all manner of well-meaning but misguided advice---'There aren't any black people in Nebraska! Why on earth would you move there?...you get the picture LOL.

To ehenningsen and all the others who posted those WONDERFUL pictures---THANK YOU!!! I was most impressed with present-day Omaha, and I'm doubtless sure that not ALL blacks in Omaha live on the North Side...I absolutely love big, old homes and neighborhoods, and the pics of the different areas were most impressive...

To those who had a less-than-pleasant experience, I totally understand the need for you to express your views, but I am also blown away by the Omaha boosterism and pride that shone through on this thread like a rainbow after a storm...please keep that attitude, and to those who lament the lack of LA-style this or NYC-style that, like SO MANY folks do in my part of Ohio, then I would suggest that you seriously consider relocating to those places so you can have your NY/LA fix, and quit thinking that those of us in the Midwest and the Heartland are either insane or stupid for not wanting to live in those overcrowded cesspools...

I'll close by saying that Omaha would be on my list again of places to live, should I ever leave Ohio again...you folks have a wonderful city, and you have EVERY RIGHT to puff out your chests with pride
Thanks for the post. And you are right, there are blacks throughout Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,731 posts, read 2,302,218 times
Reputation: 6489
Default Steve It Was My Pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Thanks for the post. And you are right, there are blacks throughout Omaha.
And thank you Steve...I've read quite a few of your posts in some of the other threads, including this one, and I can say, I may not have always agreed with everything you said, but I will give you major props for having the courage to speak up, or take a sometimes unpopular stand...in this world, that ain't easy (trust me---I've danced that waltz many a time, both online and off LOL), and I admire anyone who sticks to his/her guns in the face of adversity...

Okay...having said that, can ya tell a fella where other pockets of black folk tend to live in the city? And where can I get up to date info about the city BESIDES the Chamber site or the World-Herald? I may be asking a lot, but I was told when you want info about a place, always ask the locals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top