U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times

Advertisements

Doesn't it all depend on who you encounter during a visit?
My stepson was in a horrible accident outside of Omaha. He was taken to a hospital in Omaha with severe injuries. His mother and Aunt both flew to Omaha when it was not known if he would make it. They both raved about the way they were treated while in Omaha. My stepson got awesome treatment and has recovered although not 100 % yet.

I will say it doesn't take but one or two rude ppl to give the impression that everyone is that way especially if you are only in a place a short time period.

I say 'give it another try'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 AM

1,119 posts, read 3,813,005 times
Smile thanks captaincatfish!

some people aren't very appreciative of what we have here, I can understand that some people want to be a movie-star, or just cannot simply stand 2 months of cold weather.

That is fine, but to those that don't mind not being a movie-star or appreciates the seasons, please quit telling us how bad we have it..

To us that appreciates a great economy, great family and single atmosphere, a religeous/non-religeous place that promotes education and togetherness.. This is the place we want to be and couldn't be any happier....

Before I tried different places, I began to grow sour of Nebraska because people kept telling me how Nebraska is bad because of all of these reasons, I moved to Las Vegas and etc.. and people who lived there would even tell me that they are sorry that I had to live in Omaha my whole life..

Vegas has some nice places, but my gosh that city has many of the same things over and over again, here we have a great variety of great things! Their cost of living is higher, and it's extremely hot 6months out of the year!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's a soul for every city, but some people don't realize that people in Nebraska build on hope that their hard-work pays off, and yes Nebraskans know how to have a good time, good grief we're human, but because we're not in vegas or on the coast or next to an overgrown hill does not mean that we are miserable, it also does not mean that we don't have things to do or that we all grow corn in our backyards and the roofs of our house because our non-coastal type of lifestyle means we have to do something with our time...

For those that want to live in a fantasy world where you can get somewhere without hard-work, or you must simply have to have an ocean to complete you or that two month extension of warmer weather, then Nebraska is not your place, but for those of us who have discovered that diligent work takes your far, and further in Nebraska than in most places, don't tell me that I am miserable because moving back to Nebraska I have now completely realized that this is the place to grow as a person...

Thanks for letting me rant..

Old 12-23-2007, 12:06 PM

884 posts, read 756,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
And thank you Steve...I've read quite a few of your posts in some of the other threads, including this one, and I can say, I may not have always agreed with everything you said, but I will give you major props for having the courage to speak up, or take a sometimes unpopular stand...in this world, that ain't easy (trust me---I've danced that waltz many a time, both online and off LOL), and I admire anyone who sticks to his/her guns in the face of adversity...

Okay...having said that, can ya tell a fella where other pockets of black folk tend to live in the city? And where can I get up to date info about the city BESIDES the Chamber site or the World-Herald? I may be asking a lot, but I was told when you want info about a place, always ask the locals
Thanks again,
Anyway, I would say Bellevue(just south of Omaha), midtown, North/North Central Omaha and even northwest Omaha seems to have much larger black populations than the rest of the city.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:21 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
....I had once upon a time (in my single days) considered moving to Omaha. Once I made my intentions known, I was inundated by all manner of well-meaning but misguided advice---'There aren't any black people in Nebraska! Why on earth would you move there?...you get the picture LOL.

....I was most impressed with present-day Omaha, and I'm doubtless sure that not ALL blacks in Omaha live on the North Side...
Bellevue, Papillion, and LaVista have integrated black populations - a big part of this has to do with the Miliatary base in Bellevue. I am aware of no race issues in those parts of town - everyone seems to get along real well (in the schools, in the neighborhood, and in the workplace).

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
For those that want to live in a fantasy world where you can get somewhere without hard-work, or you must simply have to have an ocean to complete you or that two month extension of warmer weather, then Nebraska is not your place, but for those of us who have discovered that diligent work takes your far, and further in Nebraska than in most places, don't tell me that I am miserable because moving back to Nebraska I have now completely realized that this is the place to grow as a person...
This is true of just about anywhere. So many people move here (Colorado) thinking all their problems will go away once they cross the state line. It doesn't work like that, anywhere. I don't mean to put it down, I mean I think it is a good philosophy.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:13 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,813,005 times
Default that is a good point pittnurse!

That is true, you can run for 'any' border with the wrong ideas and or intentions, lol.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM

13 posts, read 34,487 times
Quote:
'There aren't any black people in Nebraska! Why on earth would you move there?...
Makes me think of Conan O'Briens 'state quarters'...

South Dakota: Quarter proclaiming... "Now with a black person!"
North Dakota: Quarter showing one person whispering to another: "Did you hear about South Dakota's black person??"

Old 12-28-2007, 07:19 PM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Gayle Sayres (sp?) is from Nebraska.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 PM

13 posts, read 34,487 times
Don't forget basketball great Bob Boozer and baseball hall of famer Bob Gibson.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,441 times
Default Omaha Is Great

Omaha is a great city, period. But why does everyone who STILL lives in Omaha have to fight so hard to prove it. Do you feel inferior, are you constantly attacked? If you are having the time of your hard working life in Omaha then GREAT. Leave it at that. I always hear a lot of my friends who still live in Omaha, always fighting to defend their choice, there is no need to do that, Omaha is a great place to live and to have fun, sometimes I feel that Omaha does not get the fair shake that it deserves. The NCAA Tournament should be looking to make Omaha one of the cities it plays at, there should be a pro team there, and for crying out loud if one of the richest men in the world live there then who are we to judge. So please quit whining about your city, it could be worse you could live in Council Bluffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or