U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:39 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I detest this place.
I sincerely hope your having some luck with a relocation! I wouldn't stick around anyplace I hated as much as you seem to hate Omaha.

I don't quite get all of your street critique though. I witness loads of left turn green arrows all over the place. My main complaints about the roads are it's drivers. Major speeding on Dodge Street and 2 cars running a red light as the green left turn arrow turns to red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 PM

920 posts, read 1,732,524 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I sincerely hope your having some luck with a relocation! I wouldn't stick around anyplace I hated as much as you seem to hate Omaha.

I don't quite get all of your street critique though. I witness loads of left turn green arrows all over the place. My main complaints about the roads are it's drivers. Major speeding on Dodge Street and 2 cars running a red light as the green left turn arrow turns to red.
Actually we're moving on August 11th- the streets, maybe it's just because of what I'm used to--I'm accustomed to being able to pull into a turn lane on a busy street, and turn left- on Dodge in particular, are tons of signs saying no left turns- drives me nuts because I either have to turn right into a parking lot or another street, and head back across in order to turn where I want to. I find a lot of trees and fences that obstruct your ability to be able to see any traffic coming, and it really surprises me that the city allows that- and yet I've read that Omaha has one of the safest driving records...color me shocked! Speed demons, people who, like you say, go four and five cars deep after the light has changed, go figure. I hate being tailed, and people tail here all of the time- don't get me wrong, I never wanted to "hate" Omaha, in fact I badly wanted to like it and came here with high hopes. But the more I learned and experienced here, the more I disliked it, and at this point my husband and I are just miserable. I need natural trees, water, smaller town..nature- it isn't that Omaha is so horrible, more that it just isn't me at all. Like I said, it's a great place for those who like it here, and who knows...if someone were going to where we are moving to (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), they might dislike it as much as I do here, who can say- I guess it's just a matter of what people like, and what works for them!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,680 times
Yeah not trying to attack our stance on it. Omaha isn't perfect by any means. I actually totally agree with you about Dodge, I don't like how they picked mass car carrying ability over safety and ascetics.

Congrats on the move though, always heard the UP was amazing

Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Thank you It really is amazing!

....if a person likes that sort of thing, lol!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 PM

906 posts, read 1,538,573 times
Congrats on the move to the UP. I'm happy for you. I love it up there.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Thank you, MountainMen

Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 AM

22 posts, read 54,676 times
It's been a few years since last visiting Omaha but it seemed an OK place. The city is on my radar screen now because there is an opportunity for a job promotion.

Omaho recently made the Yahoo list of best cities to retire in. The qualifications for this list are based on a retired person's finances. It has nothing to do with the number of fine dining establishments per square mile or anything cultural. It would be interesting to read the comments regarding property taxes from those of you living there. Is it really possible to retire in Omaha on a hundred bucks per day?
The Best U.S. Cities for Retiring On $100 a Day - Yahoo! Finance

Mostie, I've spent some time in the Niagara, WI/Iron Mountain, MI area. The UP is quite a beautiful area. I've thought about retiring there.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,701,636 times
Mostie, its more of a "different strokes for different folks" kinda view. We are currently stationed in Tampa, which is viewed by most people as a fairly high "destination" city to live in, but to me, this place is insanely horrible compared to Omaha. Omaha is SO much better than Tampa, in my opinion (and I know there are others currently here in Tampa that post on this Omaha board that agree with me).

Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Mostie, its more of a "different strokes for different folks" kinda view. We are currently stationed in Tampa, which is viewed by most people as a fairly high "destination" city to live in, but to me, this place is insanely horrible compared to Omaha. Omaha is SO much better than Tampa, in my opinion (and I know there are others currently here in Tampa that post on this Omaha board that agree with me).
When it comes down to it, I really do think it's a matter of preference as well-until I lived in N. MI for a while, I had no true idea just how much that sort of terrain did for me- and when we left, I thought of nothing else and wanted to go back there so badly. Omaha in particular and Nebraska in general just don't work for me at all, although I know there are people who really do love it here. I envy that.

...but not enough to stay!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 PM

20,857 posts, read 35,987,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadamerica View Post
It's been a few years since last visiting Omaha but it seemed an OK place. The city is on my radar screen now because there is an opportunity for a job promotion.

Omaho recently made the Yahoo list of best cities to retire in. The qualifications for this list are based on a retired person's finances. It has nothing to do with the number of fine dining establishments per square mile or anything cultural. It would be interesting to read the comments regarding property taxes from those of you living there. Is it really possible to retire in Omaha on a hundred bucks per day?
The Best U.S. Cities for Retiring On $100 a Day - Yahoo! Finance

Mostie, I've spent some time in the Niagara, WI/Iron Mountain, MI area. The UP is quite a beautiful area. I've thought about retiring there.
That area is nice and actually gets decent snows in the winter so at least it isn't as bad as looking at brown grass! Niagara, WI is kind of a creepy place, a town where most of the people look at cars passing by for now reason. Iron Mountain is better than Niagara, but Marquette has the most to offer of any town in the UP. I'd love to live there as well, but good paying jobs are few and far between. At least temperatures there aren't as hot as the Plains in the Summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or