U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM
 
Location: IN
20,853 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Reputation: 13304

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
When it comes down to it, I really do think it's a matter of preference as well-until I lived in N. MI for a while, I had no true idea just how much that sort of terrain did for me- and when we left, I thought of nothing else and wanted to go back there so badly. Omaha in particular and Nebraska in general just don't work for me at all, although I know there are people who really do love it here. I envy that.

...but not enough to stay!
If only the Plains had a more temperate climate with mixed forests and farmlands similar to the Great Lakes I think people would complain far less about the climate and the scenery. The Plains climate is harsh and unforgiving, and it makes you appreciate how difficult it is to farm during tough years like this one.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-28-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM
 
920 posts, read 1,731,965 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If only the Plains had a more temperature climate with mixed forests and farmlands similar to the Great Lakes I think people would complain far less about the climate and the scenery. The Plains climate is harsh and unforgiving, and it makes you appreciate how difficult it is to farm during tough years like this one.
I completely agree- I have never had weather affect me the way it has here (of course, being older could have something to do with it...? ....Nahhhh! lol)- I was just thinking about that the other day, what a difficult life people must have had here years ago- wimp that I am, I cannot imagine being in this sort of heat, and having no air conditioning- what a spoilt thing I am...I would have probably dug a hole and crawled into it just to cool off (back then.)---the weather here is very volatile, and it really does wear on you physically...brutal summers (well, this year at least- the last week or two in particular-thank GOD it hasn't been overly humid!), snowy winters (well...except for last year...which could explain the hot hot summer!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 AM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,450,601 times
Reputation: 6544
Lots of weather wimps here. LOL Omaha weather isn't THAT bad (even though I'm enjoying the low humidity where I live now. ) It gets hot and humid and cold and windy, sure, but it's not like it's North Dakota or Northern Minnesota or something! As for tornado season, I love it and miss it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Middleburg
906 posts, read 1,538,253 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I cannot imagine being in this sort of heat, and having no air conditioning- what a spoilt thing I am...I would have probably dug a hole and crawled into it just to cool off (back then.)
I agree, without air conditioning I'd also be living underground during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 PM
 
920 posts, read 1,731,965 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Lots of weather wimps here. LOL Omaha weather isn't THAT bad (even though I'm enjoying the low humidity where I live now. ) It gets hot and humid and cold and windy, sure, but it's not like it's North Dakota or Northern Minnesota or something! As for tornado season, I love it and miss it!!!
No, I can't say that I'm a true "weather wimp", I lived in Central CA my entire life and part of that was smack dab in the middle of the Mojave Desert where summertime temps of 122, 123 was not uncommon and February weather was in the 90's. We lived there for five years and I never owned even a sweat jacket in all that time, let alone an actual coat. But here in Omaha, there is something about that mixture of heat and humidity that just knocks you out, along with whatever it is that is sprayed on fields around here, and causes allergies that I never even knew I had. It's the kind of heat that just sort of wilts you- could be the fact that it's a city, with all of the asphalt, traffic, etc.- maybe it's different out in the country. It's also the extreme weather experienced here, and by that I mean the fact that it is like this in the summer, yet it snows and gets very cold in the winter (well...except for last winter). Usually in a place that has really high temps in the summer, you tend to get a somewhat mild winter, and vice-versa. Here, it just seems to be all over the place.

You miss tornado season? You're kidding...unless I worked with those guys who go around chasing them, I can do without!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2012, 12:02 AM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,450,601 times
Reputation: 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
No, I can't say that I'm a true "weather wimp", I lived in Central CA my entire life and part of that was smack dab in the middle of the Mojave Desert where summertime temps of 122, 123 was not uncommon and February weather was in the 90's. We lived there for five years and I never owned even a sweat jacket in all that time, let alone an actual coat. But here in Omaha, there is something about that mixture of heat and humidity that just knocks you out, along with whatever it is that is sprayed on fields around here, and causes allergies that I never even knew I had. It's the kind of heat that just sort of wilts you- could be the fact that it's a city, with all of he asphalt, traffic, etc.- maybe it's different out in the country. It's also the extreme weather experienced here, and by that I mean the fact that it is like this in the summer, yet it snows and gets very cold in the winter (well...except for last winter). Usually in a place that has really high temps in the summer, you tend to get a somewhat mild winter, and vice-versa. Here, it just seems to be all over the place.

You miss tornado season? You're kidding...unless I worked with those guys who go around chasing them, I can do without!
Obviously I am used to it, but I just don't think it's that bad. I don't like the wind and cold but it's not like it is North Dakota! I don't miss the humidity, however, and my glasses fogging up when I step outside. I also don't miss the fact that it's usually hot and sticky at night. Where I live now, it usually cools down at night and you can sleep with windows open. Sometimes I even need a jacket. I love that.

Yes, I miss being in Tornado Alley. We get storms here, but not usually on the same level. I love when it's bright and sunny outside but you can feel a storm coming. I love the nasty green skies and the feeling when the storm rolls in. I should be a storm chaser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
124 posts, read 270,011 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Lots of weather wimps here. LOL Omaha weather isn't THAT bad (even though I'm enjoying the low humidity where I live now. ) It gets hot and humid and cold and windy, sure, but it's not like it's North Dakota or Northern Minnesota or something! As for tornado season, I love it and miss it!!!
We're not on the extreme ends of things, that doesn't mean it can't be 'bad'. And weather is so subjective. For me, I grew up on the northern coast of California, where 75 was considered a heat wave, but it also only snowed once when I was 4 and dissipated quickly, mainly because of the salt from the ocean. So when I moved to Omaha after I graduated highschool, the actual seasons were a pretty big shock to me. I was used to slightly hotter summers and slightly colder winters.

Just because we dont experience extreme weather (whether it's hot or cold) doesn't mean we're 'wimps'. Heck, I'm not even from here but I'll still defend the people. It's still miserable, it being 5 degrees hotter somewhere else doesn't make it miserable for the people living HERE.

That's another thing I've had to get used to with living here. I can't compare it or relate it to the weather I'm used to. I don't live in northern California anymore and I shouldn't expect that weather, doesn't mean I can't enjoy or not enjoy the weather currently in Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 AM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,450,601 times
Reputation: 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuda View Post
We're not on the extreme ends of things, that doesn't mean it can't be 'bad'. And weather is so subjective. For me, I grew up on the northern coast of California, where 75 was considered a heat wave, but it also only snowed once when I was 4 and dissipated quickly, mainly because of the salt from the ocean. So when I moved to Omaha after I graduated highschool, the actual seasons were a pretty big shock to me. I was used to slightly hotter summers and slightly colder winters.

Just because we dont experience extreme weather (whether it's hot or cold) doesn't mean we're 'wimps'. Heck, I'm not even from here but I'll still defend the people. It's still miserable, it being 5 degrees hotter somewhere else doesn't make it miserable for the people living HERE.

That's another thing I've had to get used to with living here. I can't compare it or relate it to the weather I'm used to. I don't live in northern California anymore and I shouldn't expect that weather, doesn't mean I can't enjoy or not enjoy the weather currently in Omaha.
Of course it's a shock if one isn't used to it. I was mostly joking with my wimp comment. I just see so many people complaining about how extreme and terrible the weather is when the majority of the time, it just isn't that bad. The extremes don't occur all the time. That's why they are extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top