Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times

Advertisements

Hardcore atheist here.

If you live on the eastern side of town (east of 72nd St) you're in the liberal part of town. I other than my family a 3 people at work I don't know any serious believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default ..

Omaha also has a democrat for mayor, and a few city councilman as democrats, and sends democrat legislatures to state..

That said, Omaha is about 55-45 favoring liberal right now..

Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Omaha also has a democrat for mayor, and a few city councilman as democrats, and sends democrat legislatures to state..

That said, Omaha is about 55-45 favoring liberal right now..

plus most if not all of the omaha public school board members are democrats too

though I could be wrong,

I know Nancy Huston is a democrat as is Mary Ellen Drickey and Kersten Borer

dont know about the other 9 members polictal parties.

plus many of them tend to lend to the left on things a lot so you would assume that most if not all OPS board members are democrats

also we also have some liberal republicans

Senator Brad Ashford

and that John McCollister guy who ran against Anne Boyle in a local election for something here that

are very liberal republicans

Last edited by billiefan2000; 02-22-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times
many churches in Omaha are religiously liberal.

First Central Congregational Church of Omaha Nebraska near 36th and Dodge

West Hills Church of Omaha Nebraska near 84th and Center

and

First United Methodist Church of Omaha Nebraska near 70th and Cass

are very religiously liberal churches

and all 3 of them promote Inter-faith and Universalism like teachings

Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I'm not sure there are as many die hard liberals in Omaha as people think. Many voted for Obama out of default. I mean, look what we had to choose from (Mr. AARP and..well..Sarah Palin)
I totally agree (nothing against Palin) I do not think the outcome of the 2008 election has much to do with liberals versus conservatives, but anything is better than 4 more years!!!! Given a different time Obama would never have done as well as he did. of course this is totally high jacking this thread, sorry.

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM

325 posts, read 962,463 times
I agree with Nita about hijacking the thread with political blather, but here goes.

I think there should be an anti-Palin thread where all the would-be comedians can work on their material using classically liberal one liners with no ability to back them up with facts. Just say the line.....wait for it....wait for it....there it is, the chuckle. Ah, it's all worth it. Ignorancia at its best.

As an aside, I got a kick out of my mother-in-law's call last night where she was telling us about how she was assaulted Saturday night by an east-coast liberal (she lives on the east coast) who decided that the dinner table was a good place to deride Palin. When pressed to provide anything other than Bill Maher type derision, the guy shut up. Not being sated, my MIL proceeded to ask him why he, who raised 2 high-IQ kids to be worthless sponges on society and never elevated himself to a position higher than mid-level pencil pusher, felt superior to a woman who is the governor of a state.

I think the evening ended early

But, back on thread discussion: Omaha, while being a catholic city, is the furthest thing from a preaching/conversion/close-minded city. It is a pleasure to live here.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM

21 posts, read 66,993 times
Thanks to everyone for there replies. Before we start rehashing the last election I just wanted to say that I think diversity in political beliefs and religion is good, as long as there is respect and tolerance for both sides. In my area I feel like this is not the case and am looking for reasoned, thoughtful, tolerant people.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewherediff View Post
Thanks to everyone for there replies. Before we start rehashing the last election I just wanted to say that I think diversity in political beliefs and religion is good, as long as there is respect and tolerance for both sides. In my area I feel like this is not the case and am looking for reasoned, thoughtful, tolerant people.
and you are right, I have lots of friends who have opposite political views from me, religious as well, those who can back up their views and have interesting ideas are fun to debate. we do it often over a bottle or two of wine, will any of us change the others views, probably not, but we respect each other. Then there are those who think their way is the only right way, the state they love is the only state where anyone with a brain should want to live, thier ideas and good choices are superior to others ideas, etc. These people soon become bores and are quite narrow minded.

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMinSWO View Post
Since the majority of Christians in Omaha considered themselves Catholic, practicing or lapsed, I would not worry too much about proseltysing (people trying to convert you). I think most people have a live and let live attitude and your religion or belief is your own private personal choice better left up to you.
I always thought Omaha had a lot of Lutherans. There certainly are a lot of Lutheran churches there. Not to worry though, my DH's family did not attend church and no one seemed to care, even back in the 50s.

As far as the liberalism goes, DH is always trying to tell me how "liberal" Omaha is and says it's the rest of the state that votes Republican. I have reminded him several times that a plurality of the population of Nebraska lives in Omaha, and all these Repbubs could not get elected statewide if they didn't carry Omaha.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times
I don't actually think that's true Katiana.

You also have to consider that areas you would traditionally call "liberal" don't vote 100% democrat. They may vote 60-40 in favor of democrats. Even if you got those sort of numbers (which would track NY or CA) the democrats would not come close to winning Nebraska.

Further, even if every single person in Douglas Co. would have voted for Obama it wouldn't have mattered. McCain won Nebraska by over 119,000 votes. Obama won the 2nd district, while McCain received 104,000 votes (in Douglas County). Even if all of McCain's votes swung to Obama it wouldn't have mattered.

Finally, in the last two elections, only about 25% of the Nebraskan who cast votes were from Douglas Co. With the rest of Nebraska being so conservative a republican can easily win NE without carrying Omaha. In fact, it happens all the time in state wide elections (senator and governor). So, as the presidential candidates have realized, it is rural Nebraska that is key...NOT Omaha. As a result, democrats don't bother because they know they can't turn it and republicans don't bother because they know they already have it locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: