Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduk View Post
\
Second, I have spent a few years in California. I've definitely noticed that they are more in tune with international affairs than Nebraskans. I don't think this should be taken as an insult though, they are certainly exposed to a much more dense presence of these cultures out there, so it only seems fitting. I also noticed that while they might be more internationally aware, they seem to be less aware of national things. In my job, I meet a lot of people from all over the country, and it always seems that the majority of people whom have no idea where Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska are on maps are from California. Sure, that's not very scientific, I know. I just got the impression that they felt they represented America well enough to not worry about learning much about it. The whole "5th largest economy" has really gotten a little too much attention.
Exactly, The City San Diego has more people than Nebraska, so of course the whole state will be more internationally aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:43 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,605 times
I agree with the ever knowledgeable Staci.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,368 times
two major things that make me believe the OWH is conservative: 1: Backed John McCain in the last election, 2: Refused to publish a marrige announcement for a homosexual couple

While a conservative paper is not a bad thing, it is not good if it does not accurately mirror the feelings of the city as a whole, (seeing as it represents our area wherever it is published) which at least the first point demonstrates. At least in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
I agree with the ever knowledgeable Matt.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
two major things that make me believe the OWH is conservative: 1: Backed John McCain in the last election, 2: Refused to publish a marrige announcement for a homosexual couple

maybe the reason they did number 2 is gay "marriage" is illegal in Iowa and Nebraska

By your logic of the OWH supporting McCain, they are somehow "conservative"

I could say that since the OWH endorsed Ernie Chambers (a democrat) for the learning community

that the Omaha World Herald must be somehow anti-semitic and hateful towards Jewish people since Ernie Chambers has made numerous hateful statements about Jews on his public access show

BTW, adam:

the OWH endorsed Kersten Borer for Omaha Public School board

Fritz Stanek (also endorsed by OWH in 2008

and also Nancy W. Huston (also endorsed by OWH in 2008

and also Mary Ellen Drickey (was also endorsed by OWH in 2008

Stanek and Nancy W. Huston and Mary Ellen Drickey are all democrats as is Borer.

Anne Boyle and Mike Boyle who won their local area elections in late 2008 also

both of them are democrats

I mean are you 2adam29 and dto luv and others who make up the OWH is "conservative" lie

going to deny the OWH supports democrats for elections,

or does the facts just get in the way

Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
2: Refused to publish a marrige announcement for a homosexual couple

BTW, one other thing:

the Omaha World Herald is very supportive and promotes a lot of stuff associated with:

Northside Christian Church of Omaha Nebraska

Countryside Community Church of Omaha Nebraska

First Central Congergational Church of Omaha Nebraska

and

First United Methodist Church of Omaha Nebraska

all of are very promote gay marriage and 4 of those churches believe John 14:6 is a lie

how do you explain the OWH support 4 churches that are part of the Lukewarm 6 in Omaha

when the OWH panders to them all the time.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
maybe the reason they did number 2 is gay "marriage" is illegal in Iowa and Nebraska

By your logic of the OWH supporting McCain, they are somehow "conservative"

I could say that since the OWH endorsed Ernie Chambers (a democrat) for the learning community

that the Omaha World Herald must be somehow anti-semitic and hateful towards Jewish people since Ernie Chambers has made numerous hateful statements about Jews on his public access show

BTW, adam:

the OWH endorsed Kersten Borer for Omaha Public School board

Fritz Stanek (also endorsed by OWH in 2008

and also Nancy W. Huston (also endorsed by OWH in 2008

and also Mary Ellen Drickey (was also endorsed by OWH in 2008

Stanek and Nancy W. Huston and Mary Ellen Drickey are all democrats as is Borer.

Anne Boyle and Mike Boyle who won their local area elections in late 2008 also

both of them are democrats

I mean are you 2adam29 and dto luv and others who make up the OWH is "conservative" lie

going to deny the OWH supports democrats for elections,

or does the facts just get in the way
There's nothing wrong with being a supporter of McCain, or voicing your opinion against gay marrige. All I'm claiming is that a liberal paper would be much less likely to do these things, while a conservative paper is more likely. I certainly realize it is an organization made of many different people with differing views, but the publication as a whole, seems to me, personally, to be of a conservative leaning.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with being a supporter of McCain, or voicing your opinion against gay marrige. All I'm claiming is that a liberal paper would be much less likely to do these things, while a conservative paper is more likely. I certainly realize it is an organization made of many different people with differing views, but the publication as a whole, seems to me, personally, to be of a conservative leaning.
maybe they are a middle of the road newspaper

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
maybe they are a middle of the road newspaper
it's possible. I wouldn't be terribly suprised if they were, but to me they appear conservative. to each his own.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,377 times
It all depends on what you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha