Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,335 times

Advertisements

Hi Gang,

And thanks in advance to everyone kind enough to post a reply!
We are a couple with a four year old son and we need to move to Omaha this summer. Several issues confuse us...the neighborhoods that we love- Happy Hollow, Dundee, Old Market- seem to have less-than-desirable elementary schools. We love the Westside schools, but don't like the architecture in the area. We love 1920's and 1930's bungalows, tudors, etc. Seems that there aren't many rentals in the Millard/District 66 areas; we need to rent because our home here in Santa Fe is un-sellable in this market.

Also, our son is gifted and goes to a Montessori here in New Mexico.
How is Dundee Elementary? Harrison? We're more urban, I guess, than suburban and really appreciate any advice!

Thanks future neighbors.

Leigh

Last edited by SantaFeTransplant; 03-21-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: didn't finish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:42 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Hey Leigh ~

Nice to hear that you're coming to our fair city.

I can't say much of anything regarding the local elementary schools, because our kids were long-since past that age when we moved here 3 years ago. But I'm pretty sure that, like most schools, each elementary school has it's strong points and weak points. It also depends largely on the individual teacher your child gets.

Regarding Omaha neighborhoods...

The further west you go, the newer the neighborhoods. My opinion is that the newer the neighborhood, the less interesting. But of course, that's just my opinion - and my family lives on 52nd Street. My wife & I love hopping on the motorcycle, on summer nights, and driving through old neighborhoods. There are a LOT of incredible houses in the mid-town area of Omaha. Dundee is beautiful, but very expensive and very high in taxes. Happy Hollow is nice. Bemis Park and Gold Coast are some really cool neighborhoods, though there are some rougher neighborhoods nearby. Field Club is an older exclusive neighborhood in South Omaha.

I don't know whether my opinions have helped at all or not. Feel free to ask any specific question, and I'll try to answer.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
You can still live in those areas and have you son go to one of those districts, he just needs to transfer, which is pretty easy, I know several people who do it.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,537 times
Have you looked at Field Club Elementary? I'm no expert here but I've heard that its pretty good. Plus the Field Club neighborhood is wonderful..one of my favorite pastimes is to walk around and look at the houses. I don't know how easy it is to find a rental there but I rent right on the boarder and the houses are still interesting and the neighborhood is fine. Field Club is between Pacific and Center, 36th-32nd. The nearby neighborhood to the north is safer than that to the south. A bit further north is Morton Meadows which is also good, but I don't know what elementary it feeds into.

Plus I would recommend always looking at a property in person before you rent...we found that out when we moved here a year ago. Many of these places that look great on craigslist are holes in person.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,335 times
Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks, all.

There's no question that Omaha has some *amazing* houses...coming from Santa Fe, where all the houses are made of mud bricks, the Omaha architecture is particularly appealing.

While I like the look of Field Club a lot, the F.C. Elementary school isn't very highly ranked. I think we'd be better off sending our son to Dundee. Any thoughts?

Very interested in Montclair Elementary, as I'm a big proponent of Montessori. Not too keen on the neighborhood, just from a stylistic point-of-view, but a concession may need to be made.

If any readers have direct experience with Dundee or Montclair Elementary, I'd love to hear your perspective. Thanks again.

LEO

Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
As one of the above posters pointed out, you can transfer into another elementary school. Keep in mind, however, that not all school will accept transfers. It depends on the demand at the given school.

For example, a few years back my family moved to another elementary district and, in advance, we wanted to transfer my son into the new district before the school year started so he wouldn't have to switch schools mid-year. Well, the "new" district wouldn't accept his transfer. So we ended up keeping him in the old school until year's end. I'm speaking of the Millard school district so it is possible transfer policies may vary from Omaha to Westside to Millard.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:27 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Typically the houses you'd be looking for are not in the school districts you're looking for.

So....unless you want to pay for your kid to go to a private school you're likely looking at choosing either the house you want or the school district you want.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times
Dundee would be a good fit for you. Dundee elementary is a great school. It was one of only a handful of schools in the state to get the presidential blue ribbon for no child left behind a few years back. It has a very supportive and caring staff as well. You would not be displeased with sending your child there.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,598 times
hi -
we live in the Country Club area - near 50th and Blondo and recently moved here from Texas. We don't have kids in school, but our neighbors do - I think it's Harrison - and they are pleased. We're renting, and it was difficult to find a house to rent, but I have seen some in the neighborhood. It's a lovely area - near Dundee...the University and the hospitals (my husbands a doctor - so that was impt. to us!)

Old 03-24-2009, 03:35 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyMrsE View Post
hi -
we live in the Country Club area - near 50th and Blondo and recently moved here from Texas. We don't have kids in school, but our neighbors do - I think it's Harrison - and they are pleased. We're renting, and it was difficult to find a house to rent, but I have seen some in the neighborhood. It's a lovely area - near Dundee...the University and the hospitals (my husbands a doctor - so that was impt. to us!)
Agree with this recommendation... Country Club and Dundee (and Memorial Park area) are gems...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: