Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:50 PM

33 posts, read 160,354 times

Advertisements

(Sorry, I originally posted this in the general NE board,but meant to post it in the Omaha one!)

My daughter has Down syndrome (she just turned 4) and we may be moving to the Omaha area this summer. We are military and would be stationed at the AFB. Ive been trying to look over the two school districts that are near it and cant find too much personal experience with their special education programs. Right now it would be for preschool for at least one more year, but she may be able to start K the following year.

Does anyone have any experience with Papillion/La Vista or Bellevue areas special education programs? Im really interested in Papillion as there is some great new subdivisions. Or is there another area that would be better?

We now live in Northern VA....so commuting any distant isnt a big deal for the right schools. We also have a 6 yr old who would be starting 1st grade and my oldest would be starting 6th grade so the right middle school/maybe high school is also important for him.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 PM

268 posts, read 1,190,719 times
Default I also have a child with Down syndrome and am in the area....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksenn View Post
(Sorry, I originally posted this in the general NE board,but meant to post it in the Omaha one!)

My daughter has Down syndrome (she just turned 4) and we may be moving to the Omaha area this summer. We are military and would be stationed at the AFB. Ive been trying to look over the two school districts that are near it and cant find too much personal experience with their special education programs. Right now it would be for preschool for at least one more year, but she may be able to start K the following year.

Does anyone have any experience with Papillion/La Vista or Bellevue areas special education programs? Im really interested in Papillion as there is some great new subdivisions. Or is there another area that would be better?

We now live in Northern VA....so commuting any distant isnt a big deal for the right schools. We also have a 6 yr old who would be starting 1st grade and my oldest would be starting 6th grade so the right middle school/maybe high school is also important for him.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Hello, and welcome to Omaha! I am the mother of 3 children and my oldest has Down syndrome. He's 5 and is in kindergarten in the Elkhorn district, which is just west of Omaha. The Elkhorn district is a wonderful district, both for special needs and general education. He is in kindergarten with his peers and is pulled for resource help and small group language instruction. He does have a TA available to him at all times, though has shown he can handle music on his own. He's w/ his peers about 75% of the time. He's been invited to many birthday parties and the kids all know him and love him.
Around here, Elkhorn and Westside (central Omaha area) are known as 'the' inclusive districts. The preschool setting for Cole was amazing. I felt they truly did a wonderful job to prepare him for school. He currently is reading at grade level and is counting sets to 50 so he's doing quite well in the general classroom.
I don't know too much about Bellevue (I know of one woman in the military who has had her son attend a school other than her neighborhood one) or Papillion/La Vista but as a board member of our local Down syndrome support group I must encourage you to contact members through our site to get a better picture. The addy is www.odspn.org (by the way, my son Cole shows up in the photos with me...I'm Mary) and there are wonderful families involved there.
I hope to get a chance to meet you when you arrive though my husband took a new position which is relocating us to Portland, Oregon. We're trying to find the most inclusive setting for our son there and once the school year ends and our house sells we'll be heading out!
If you have any more questions, please let me know... Oh, and good luck!! You'll love it here!!!

Last edited by babycoleslaw; 03-26-2007 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 AM

33 posts, read 160,354 times
Default Thanks!

I just send you a private message. Im not sure if they send you an email or if you need to check your folder here.

Thanks!

Kristen

Old 04-05-2007, 09:51 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,184,891 times
Default Babycoleslaw

is right about Elkhorn the students that go to that district end up scoring extremely scary high on all test scores compared to other districts around the country, I would not be surprised if that district is considered the best school district in the nation...

Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksenn View Post
I just send you a private message. Im not sure if they send you an email or if you need to check your folder here.

Thanks!

Kristen
Yup~ I got it and replied back to you!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:54 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
is right about Elkhorn the students that go to that district end up scoring extremely scary high on all test scores compared to other districts around the country, I would not be surprised if that district is considered the best school district in the nation...
I have been working with schools for many years (going to a school meeting today) and I can tell you there are no national school district rankings that I know of. It is good to be proud of your schools, however.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I have been working with schools for many years (going to a school meeting today) and I can tell you there are no national school district rankings that I know of. It is good to be proud of your schools, however.
I'd love to see them if there are! I do know that the Nebraska school system was ranked #9 in the nation last time I looked and I do know that Elkhorn does perform at the top compared to other districts in this area, so that's pretty high up on a national list at any rate!!!
We're relocating to Portland, Oregon which is much closer to the bottom (think OR ranks in the 30s) but we've found one of the better districts so hope it pans out for my children!!
(By the way, I taught school at the elementary level for many years before having my family and staying at home)

Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM

Just curious, who did the ranking? I am interested in this stuff. Would like to see the list if I could.

Quote:
I do know that the Nebraska school system was ranked #9 in the nation last time I looked and I do know that Elkhorn does perform at the top compared to other districts in this area, so that's pretty high up on a national list at any rate!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Just curious, who did the ranking? I am interested in this stuff. Would like to see the list if I could.
I can't find the original one (had a feeling you'd ask!! lol!!) but did find this from 1976-2001 which actually places Oregon much higher so I'm liking that!!
http://www.alec.org/meSWFiles/pdf/Education_Report_card.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Cool. Thanks for sending the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha