Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
People have never been questioned on sexual preference before. It's never been asked.

You are in favor of creating a form of marriage that only a small minority of people will enter into.
Well, if you think about it, isn't interracial marriage the exact same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
Kdrich,

Yes, I do have the right to marry who I choose?? Provided of course I follow the standards passed by the state AND THAT HAVE BEEN UPHELD BY THE COURTS! (like age). The point is this standard HAS NOT been approved by the state!

Marriage means something different to everyone! The fact that it is changed is meaningless. Marriage is in the eye of the beholder. Plus, you even admit it affects a small minority. That cuts in favor of my argument because it will have a very small affect on the "institution of marriage." Further, if it isn't "devaluing" marriage then what's the problem??

Finally, the fact that it only affects a small number of people should have ZERO bearing on whether its allowed or not! Say there are 10 Estonians in the United States. Would it be okay to enslave those 10 people because it only affects 10 people??

Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well, if you think about it, isn't interracial marriage the exact same way?
No. Marriage is not regulated based on race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Kdrich,

Yes, I do have the right to marry who I choose?? Provided of course I follow the standards passed by the state AND THAT HAVE BEEN UPHELD BY THE COURTS! (like age). The point is this standard HAS NOT been approved by the state!
You are correct--the people of Iowa did not vote to create a definition of marriage that allowed for 2 men or 2 women to get married. The court decided to change the existing definition to also include 2 men or 2 women.

What is stopping the court from deciding that a man could have 3 wives?

Quote:

Marriage means something different to everyone! The fact that it is changed is meaningless. Marriage is in the eye of the beholder. Plus, you even admit it affects a small minority. That cuts in favor of my argument because it will have a very small affect on the "institution of marriage." Further, if it isn't "devaluing" marriage then what's the problem??
Marriage has been 1 man, 1 woman for a long time. I don't see where we can be justified to say that it can be different just because a small group wants it different.
Quote:
Finally, the fact that it only affects a small number of people should have ZERO bearing on whether its allowed or not! Say there are 10 Estonians in the United States. Would it be okay to enslave those 10 people because it only affects 10 people??
Is slavery now allowed? By your logic we would be justified in passing a law allowing for it. After all, what effect does it have on a non-estonian?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
But this involves giving people of a sexual preference the right to marry the person he/she loves, not taking rights away.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
But this involves giving people of a sexual preference the right to marry the person he/she loves, not taking rights away.

So?

The right to marry for love is not guaranteed to anyone in our society.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 PM

Kdbrich,

Yes, it is! One doesn't HAVE to marry for love. But they can if they choose! Provided, of course, the other person agrees and constitutionally allowable requirements have been met.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Kdbrich,

Yes, it is! One doesn't HAVE to marry for love. But they can if they choose! Provided, of course, the other person agrees and constitutionally allowable requirements have been met.

Yes...they CAN. But it's not a guaranteed right.

In any event, nobody is denied the right to get married.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Kdrich,

For crying out loud?? Do you think slavery isn't allowed because all the states voted to abolish it??

You're proving my point! States and the people who make up the majority in those states ARE LIMITED IN WHAT THEY CAN do to the minority.

It is the Courts who decide where that limit is! This is basic civics class!

It is clear to me that you do not understand the actual process. You may, for moral or religious reasons, disagree with gay marriage but you clearly have no way of looking at it objectively and understanding how our country handles things within the framework of judicial and legislative checks. Mind you these checks were estabished by the likes of Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, John Adams, James Madison, and the like. This structure and operation of the court exists because of them...NOT some secret ACLU/gay alliance.

It is this structure that has allowed for desegregations of schools, racial voting equality, women's right to vote, and nearly the entire civil rights movement. Yet, you act as though YOU are smarter than them all and think they are not wise enough to rule on the issue of gay rights. The courts have handled bigger issues and on issue that tore the fabric of this nation nearly apart. Nevertheless, they did what they thought was right, in SPITE of what the majority told them. Have an opinion...fine. But at least try to have an educated one.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:43 PM

I'm sorry. I don't believe that the choice of who a person has sex with is equal to the color of skin. It's not the same.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Kdrich,

Yes, marriage in general has been deemed a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT. The court's have ruled that it IS a fundamental right to marry who you want. You don't have to say why!! So by deduction...you absolutely have a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT to marry for love.

Not all guaranteed rights are explicitly written in the constitution. The constitution an open ended document. Which means fundamental rights are discerned within the contours of the constitution.

For example, what part of the bill of rights says we have a fundamental right to privacy??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha