Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,003,928 times

Advertisements

I generally agree.

Clearly the pension issue is ridiculous. And clearly all the candidates agreed it needed fixed.

The day before the election I had yet to figure out Vokal's stances other than fix the pension mess. And he didn't ever state how he was going to do it.

I just didn't see any reason to vote for him. I had nothing against him per se and I believe he was absolutely unfairly attacked by Police Department concerning the sex offender list - which was completely politically motivated.

But I still don't know what his stances were.

I think both Daub and Suttle are solid candidates and don't have a strong stance either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times
In the police union's offense, they really had to do something after Vokal went after them in the local media. Had Vokal not pissed them off, they probably wouldn't have attacked him like they did.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM

That's fine to counter attack but what the police union did was over the top. The whole thing about him not caring about the safety of the Omaha people because he didn't support the Omaha Police's monitoring of the sex offender list is just crazy.

First, it was already being handled by the Sheriff's department and, second, this issue happened several months before the police union brought it up. If they actually cared about the "safety of the public" then they would have cried foul when the issue was at hand not months later.

It was really disgusting. And the bottom line is the police union is NOT beyond criticism. Between the unbelievable pension problem and the statements they made about the sex offender list, I'm pretty much anti-police union right now.

Before anyone blows up at that...that doesn't mean I'm "anti-police." But the union is essentially a political organization and their tactics have so far been pretty unimpressive. I would be saying the exact same thing if any other group did this.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 AM

605 posts, read 1,196,276 times
Suttle for mayor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
That's fine to counter attack but what the police union did was over the top. The whole thing about him not caring about the safety of the Omaha people because he didn't support the Omaha Police's monitoring of the sex offender list is just crazy.

First, it was already being handled by the Sheriff's department and, second, this issue happened several months before the police union brought it up. If they actually cared about the "safety of the public" then they would have cried foul when the issue was at hand not months later.

It was really disgusting. And the bottom line is the police union is NOT beyond criticism. Between the unbelievable pension problem and the statements they made about the sex offender list, I'm pretty much anti-police union right now.

Before anyone blows up at that...that doesn't mean I'm "anti-police." But the union is essentially a political organization and their tactics have so far been pretty unimpressive. I would be saying the exact same thing if any other group did this.
Well I think that's just politics in general. They had some dirt on Vokal and when he started attacking them, they went after him. Can't fault them too much for that.

Can't really hold the pension against them either, because the other side agreed to the contract as well. It isn't the union forced it on them.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Suttle for mayor!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, why do you want Suttle to win?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM

My point is it wasn't actually dirt. They didn't have dirt on him. If the Sheriff's department was covering it then he made the correct decision for the city. Plus they didn't voice an objection when it actually happened. It was one of the worst cases of political "dirtiness" I have ever seen, at least at the local level. They tried turning nothing into dirt. Ultimately, I think it hurt their cause because it was very transparent and very tacky.

As far as the union and pension goes...well...a 40-something police officer retiring with an 80K+ pension is a little absurd. Sure, the contract was signed by both parties. But the contract, I would assume, had a fair dealing provision. Letting police officers load up on overtime at the end of their career in order to spike pension benefits is hardly in good faith. Should the city have foreseen this possibility. Yes, probably. But it doesn't mean the police were right to take advantage of that loop hole.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,884,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Between the unbelievable pension problem and the statements they made about the sex offender list, I'm pretty much anti-police union right now.

I'm right with you on that one. In fact, unions in general need some policy overhaul. There needs to be some checks and balances between their power and integrity.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Well I guess regardless of how you feel about the police unions tactics, I'm glad Vokal is out.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: