U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Omaha
48 posts, read 155,741 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Speaking about little Italy, have you ever been to little Mexico? it is a street near Council Bluffs that is strictly all mexican shops and restaurants. I ate there once before and even the restaurants serve imported foods and beverages that came from there. The retail shops and anything else is all practically Mexican. I swear I feel like i'm in the wrong country when driving down this street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,194,688 times
Reputation: 526
I think where you're thinking of is S. 24th St. in Omaha. Not Council Bluffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Omaha
48 posts, read 155,741 times
Reputation: 21
Yes I should have been clearer. I meant to say it was near Council Bluffs. Oh wait I did ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2007, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Bellevue Nebraska
3 posts, read 12,943 times
Reputation: 10
Default do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordor View Post
Speaking about little Italy, have you ever been to little Mexico? it is a street near Council Bluffs that is strictly all mexican shops and restaurants. I ate there once before and even the restaurants serve imported foods and beverages that came from there. The retail shops and anything else is all practically Mexican. I swear I feel like i'm in the wrong country when driving down this street.

24th street in South Omaha? That is very geared to the Mexican population. There is a store right off of 24 and L "Jacobos" that has the BEST homemade tamales! you get a dozen for like $10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2007, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Bellevue Nebraska
3 posts, read 12,943 times
Reputation: 10
A really great restaurant that is very unique is called "Dixie Quicks" it is located about 16 and Leavenworth - and the storefront is nothing to look at. However, Renee owner/chef is simply fabulous! The menu is on a chalkboard and i don't think there is ever an item over $20. avg cost of meal is prob $12. he is open for lunch and dinner and i have heard his Sunday brunch is fabulous! you will want to call first before going, sometimes, he closes for private parties.

i have 3 yr old. she goes to rainbow factory preschool and they are terrific! i believe it is $100 a month for two mornings a week.

http://www.omaha-childcare.com/ this hopefull is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2007, 04:36 AM
 
Location: Omaha
48 posts, read 155,741 times
Reputation: 21
Yes that is the street I was referring too. I have never been down this street until recently and decided to have myself genuine mexican food. Its interesting that most shops are owned by mexican immigrants down there. I don't know if I would like to live in the area but touring the place sure was an adventure in its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,841 times
Reputation: 10
Thumbs up I Go To....

The high school on that street Omaha South High School and live only a couple blocks away on F street and trust me it really is little mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
 
14 posts, read 44,368 times
Reputation: 11
Housing here in cheap, very cheap...The country here really is not very enjoyable and the land is not the most beautiful, I mean, farmland, cornfields and flatlands of the northern Great Plains are certainly not the most beautiful parts of our vast country. I have lived in many different places, and I am just suggesting to you that you check out your other options before choosing to move here. If you have found a great job here, congratulations, since there aren't many unless you're into banking or insurance. But if your goal is to save money, this would be a smart place to live, although I have a friend living almost in downtown Atlanta for the same price it costs to live here in cold, frozen, Nebraska. Keep in mind you will not be able to do anything for about 7 months of the year due to frigid and unbearable temperatures.

One other thing I think you should keep in mind, is that it is not very diverse here, and that Omaha is still the most segregated city I've ever lived in or been to. There is a general tense mood b/w different groups of people here, as I have run into many instances of racism against people who are not white. This place has not yet moved into the 21st century and is not used to different people from different places. I was not welcomed when I moved here, and did not feel welcome. It is difficult to meet people here, as they pretty much stay to themselves. It will take years to adapt to this town and you most likely will not grow to love the place, unless you are from Nebraska. There is even tension b/w people from Nebraska and Iowa, as Nebraskans think they are better from some apparent reason although the two states are essentially the same. I am just giving you a fair warning of what you may experience if you choose to move here. Omaha is definitely a bit more open-minded than the rest of the state, but it is still riddled with super-conservative people who are not open to new things/people/ideas/etc. Let me know if you need any other assitance finding sources to find housing! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Southwest Nebraska
1,297 posts, read 4,136,805 times
Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent_Thinker84_ View Post
Housing here in cheap, very cheap...The country here really is not very enjoyable and the land is not the most beautiful, I mean, farmland, cornfields and flatlands of the northern Great Plains are certainly not the most beautiful parts of our vast country. I have lived in many different places, and I am just suggesting to you that you check out your other options before choosing to move here. If you have found a great job here, congratulations, since there aren't many unless you're into banking or insurance. But if your goal is to save money, this would be a smart place to live, although I have a friend living almost in downtown Atlanta for the same price it costs to live here in cold, frozen, Nebraska. Keep in mind you will not be able to do anything for about 7 months of the year due to frigid and unbearable temperatures.

One other thing I think you should keep in mind, is that it is not very diverse here, and that Omaha is still the most segregated city I've ever lived in or been to. There is a general tense mood b/w different groups of people here, as I have run into many instances of racism against people who are not white. This place has not yet moved into the 21st century and is not used to different people from different places. I was not welcomed when I moved here, and did not feel welcome. It is difficult to meet people here, as they pretty much stay to themselves. It will take years to adapt to this town and you most likely will not grow to love the place, unless you are from Nebraska. There is even tension b/w people from Nebraska and Iowa, as Nebraskans think they are better from some apparent reason although the two states are essentially the same. I am just giving you a fair warning of what you may experience if you choose to move here. Omaha is definitely a bit more open-minded than the rest of the state, but it is still riddled with super-conservative people who are not open to new things/people/ideas/etc. Let me know if you need any other assitance finding sources to find housing! Good luck!

OH come on now, its not that bad. I grew up in Nebraska and left 25 yrs ago for employment and thought big city life was the place to be. Yes it is exciting and alot to do but same problems there you describe but much worse. I have lived in Orlando, FL, Atlanta, Ga, it is cheap downtown cause it has a lot of crime, Denver CO and Indianapolis,In to name a few.

My wife and I now live in southern Kentucky and Southwest Ne has had more warm days this winter than we have. We plan on moving back within 18 months and have no problem bringing an extra jacket in return for friendly, diverse people to live around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
OH come on now, its not that bad. I grew up in Nebraska and left 25 yrs ago for employment and thought big city life was the place to be. Yes it is exciting and alot to do but same problems there you describe but much worse. I have lived in Orlando, FL, Atlanta, Ga, it is cheap downtown cause it has a lot of crime, Denver CO and Indianapolis,In to name a few.

My wife and I now live in southern Kentucky and Southwest Ne has had more warm days this winter than we have. We plan on moving back within 18 months and have no problem bringing an extra jacket in return for friendly, diverse people to live around.
That bozo posted the same exact thing in another thread. He/she is apparently here for no other reason than to dump on Omaha and it's people with half truths and flat out lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top