U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,097,911 times
Reputation: 3888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Rush said it best! If we are not allowed to have the freedom to restrict people from their lifestyles and beliefs then we truly do not live in a free country..
Well, I guess I missed it. I don't listen to Rush.

But it still doesn't make any sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,812,593 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Well, I guess I missed it. I don't listen to Rush.

But it still doesn't make any sense to me.
Let me help you! Cause it takes a 'real' american to set it straight for people who are blind by liberalism..

If society doesn't have the right to restrict people from their own beliefs because us american normals feel like it is harmful to them, then we do not live in a free country..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
872 posts, read 2,599,362 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Well actually I disagree. If one is gay and feels oppressed by society as a result of that gayness, then that individual has every right (and in fact a responsibility) to strongly focus on changing the prevailing social narrowness. What you are advocating here is basically that its ok to be gay as long as you keep quiet about it. The closet is alive and well I suppose.

People who fight for social justice are rarely popular because they force people to confront issues that they would rather not have to think about.
I think the problem is that SurfOmaha consistently posts these diatribes on this forum when many people here are gay, have friends/family who are gay, agree with many of his points, and/or have a "live and let live" mentality. I'm all for expanding narrow-mindedness where it exists, but I think narrow-mindedness about this specific subject isn't really prevalent on this forum. He could kind of check it off of his list and then be able to double the efforts elsewhere. His posts don't force me to confront any issues I'd rather not think about...because I formed my opinions/beliefs on this topic when I was in middle school and had my first close friend who was gay.

Congrats on the move back to California. I know how much it can drain you to live somewhere you are miserable when you know full well how much better another place is for you personally. (And "Goin' Back to Cali by LL Cool J... we go to California quite often for quick family vacations and this is one of the California-themed songs we always play... It's very late 80s if that makes you feel better. That's what I tell my nephew when he tries to make me feel old for remembering when the song first came out.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,097,911 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
I think the problem is that SurfOmaha consistently posts these diatribes on this forum when many people here are gay, have friends/family who are gay, agree with many of his points, and/or have a "live and let live" mentality. I'm all for expanding narrow-mindedness where it exists, but I think narrow-mindedness about this specific subject isn't really prevalent on this forum. He could kind of check it off of his list and then be able to double the efforts elsewhere. His posts don't force me to confront any issues I'd rather not think about...because I formed my opinions/beliefs on this topic when I was in middle school and had my first close friend who was gay.
You're right.

Gays can also be extremely narrow-minded and bigoted, just like blacks can be racially prejudiced. None of us are immune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,812,593 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're right.

Gays can also be extremely narrow-minded and bigoted, just like blacks can be racially prejudiced. None of us are immune.
most liberals are narrow-minded and bigoted.. liberalism is a mental disorder...

liberals will never have the open mind of american culture and why we think gays are hellbound..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
 
516 posts, read 1,209,948 times
Reputation: 120
Some day I am going to take the time to learn how to multiquote

Yes he is a prof, but not at UNO.

Late 80's still makes me old

What the heck is "liberalism" anyway? It sounds like a made-up, over-generalized, non-existent beastie. Note: I don't really want to know.

I agree that there are stronger fora out there to argue for gay rights in Omaha! Its cool that MOST posters here are chill about it.

Is that because we are awash in stinking "liberalism"? Don't answer that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
 
516 posts, read 1,209,948 times
Reputation: 120
Hah, I figured it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Let me help you! Cause it takes a 'real' american to set it straight for people who are blind by liberalism..

If society doesn't have the right to restrict people from their own beliefs because us american normals feel like it is harmful to them, then we do not live in a free country..
So: Freedom=Oppression


Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
most liberals are narrow-minded and bigoted.. liberalism is a mental disorder...

liberals will never have the open mind of american culture and why we think gays are hellbound..
liberal=narrow-minded

and open mind = hellbound

ehenningsen are you trying to be Orwellian or is it a happy accident? 'Cause you're cracking me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,812,593 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Hah, I figured it out!



So: Freedom=Oppression




liberal=narrow-minded

and open mind = hellbound

ehenningsen are you trying to be Orwellian or is it a happy accident? 'Cause you're cracking me up.
you see, liberals are blinded by god.. Gods word says that he will blind the wicked and will enjoy their screams, like insence burning and the smoke going to heaven for him to enjoy..

And since gayness is unnatural, that means that they are blind and since gays are screaming for rights, then that means that they are getting justice..

In the end liberals always lose, god gets to enjoy the scent of the gays misery, and america stays a free country..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,812,593 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Hah, I figured it out!



So: Freedom=Oppression.
But you see, they are oppressing themselves because they 'choose' to be who they are.. They can believe what us american's believe or they don't and it is their choice if they want to be an american or feel oppressed..



Quote:
liberal=narrow-minded

and open mind = hellbound

ehenningsen are you trying to be Orwellian or is it a happy accident? 'Cause you're cracking me up.
open mind doesn't mean breaking american laws..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,687,605 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post

Oh crap, you mean I'm not a self-respecting Californian? I guess I had better stay in Nebraska and hide...Nah. I'm outta here in three short weeks! "cause I'm goin' back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali...I'm goin back to Cali..."

Am I the only eighties relic that remembers that song?
Oh! Well, sad to see you leave but its your home after all, and of course we'll always welcome you back if you need it! Please keep posting here, its refreshing to have a logical debate with people sometimes. I hope your happy back home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top