U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,100,440 times
Reputation: 3888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
That's a double standard. See, I would love to keep my hetrosexuality in the bedroom, but being 7 months pregnant makes that a little difficult.

Every pregnant woman had to have SEX to get that way OMG!
So it's a double standard? Kinda like somebody who is relentlessly "in your face" gay, saying "Keep religion at church!"?



And you're pregnant because you had SEX? Dang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times
Reputation: 2752
Heterosexual activity can and frequently does lead to pregnancy.

Homosexual activity, even between the most devoted, loving partners, cannot result in pregnancy/birth of a new human being.

It's not a "double standard"--it's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times
Reputation: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
People who fight for social justice are rarely popular because they force people to confront issues that they would rather not have to think about.
If it brings you comfort to rationalize things this way, go for it!

I don't choose to label people based on their sexual orientation. (Hopefully) There is so much more to a person than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM
 
516 posts, read 1,210,049 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Heterosexual activity can and frequently does lead to pregnancy.

Homosexual activity, even between the most devoted, loving partners, cannot result in pregnancy/birth of a new human being.

It's not a "double standard"--it's a fact.
The double standard is the "keep it in the bedroom" argument only seems to apply to gay partners...since procreation is evident everywhere and is very much a result of 'accepted' bedroom activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So it's a double standard? Kinda like somebody who is relentlessly "in your face" gay, saying "Keep religion at church!"?



And you're pregnant because you had SEX? Dang!
So its ok to be confronted with evidence of heterosexual sex, but gays are supposed to "keep it in the bedroom"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
If it brings you comfort to rationalize things this way, go for it!

I don't choose to label people based on their sexual orientation. (Hopefully) There is so much more to a person than that.

Ah, but you are taking this out of context. Its not about labeling people with their sexual orientation, its about people choosing their sexual orientation as a central part of their identity and then fighting for their civil rights based on that identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 1,058,097 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
If it brings you comfort to rationalize things this way, go for it!

I don't choose to label people based on their sexual orientation. (Hopefully) There is so much more to a person than that.
Staci's right! Yet you claim not to label sexual orientation, yet you just expressed that homosexuals need to keep it in the closet. If you didn't label, gays around you could be open about being gay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times
Reputation: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Yet you claim not to label sexual orientation, yet you just expressed that homosexuals need to keep it in the closet. If you didn't label, gays around you could be open about being gay!
No I did not, SurfOmaha. Apparently you don't read very well.

There is a difference between asking someone to keep the sex in the bedroom and keeping one's sexual orientation in a closet.

You do not speak for and represent ALL gays/lesbians. People are individuals. One cannot lump them all together and say "All gays want this and that, and they all think this way" as though it is truth.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-23-2009 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,646,232 times
Reputation: 477
Yes, but to advocate for gay marriage rights will generally require someone to actually bring up the fact that they're gay. If certain states would not make gay marriage unlawful then gay marriage advocates wouldn't constantly have to bring up "their lifestyle."

Your argument is a little like telling a black man in the 1800s to keep his racial issues to himself and that we treat people as individuals, so quit injecting your race into every conversation. A group that feels oppressed can't fight against that alleged oppression without actually mention the condition which triggers that oppression - whether it be race, gender, or sexual orientation.

I agree that often the topic comes in from all angles, in places that it shouldn't come up. But the fact is many gays (if not all), feel oppressed. Whether you think they are or not is one issue, and i think reasonable people can disagree with that point. But if you felt oppressed, whether rightfully or not, I can't imagine you would just be quiet about it.

To expect gays to not be vocal about it is simply not practical and its rather hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Maine
2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times
Reputation: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I agree that often the topic comes in from all angles, in places that it shouldn't come up. But the fact is many gays (if not all), feel oppressed. Whether you think they are or not is one issue, and i think reasonable people can disagree with that point. But if you felt oppressed, whether rightfully or not, I can't imagine you would just be quiet about it.

To expect gays to not be vocal about it is simply not practical and its rather hypocritical.
Thank you for an articulate post! You make an excellent point.

I think being vocal is accepted if the individual or group has shown a level of maturity in their thinking and actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,225,164 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
That's a double standard. See, I would love to keep my hetrosexuality in the bedroom, but being 7 months pregnant makes that a little difficult.

Every pregnant woman had to have SEX to get that way OMG!
Yet you don't see them inserting that into every thread on these forums (yes, there's some exaggeration there).

If you care to see how public homosexuality can be, I can send you an extremely graphic link of homsexual events in San Francisco and what you'll find gays doing in public as a group. It puts XXX porn to shame.

People like to counter with, "well you see the same thing from celebrations in New Orleans." The simple answer is no you don't. Not like you see there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,225,164 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
The double standard is the "keep it in the bedroom" argument only seems to apply to gay partners...since procreation is evident everywhere and is very much a result of 'accepted' bedroom activity.
Nobody here has asked gay males to keep their AIDS closeted, a natural and frequent result of their bedroom behavior.

If you want to argue that that's absurd I can show you the Center For Disease Control links showing that that is no exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top