U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
90 posts, read 244,139 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Welcome to Omaha. I have found that temp housing and motels are very expensive for some unknown reason around Omaha. Prop. taxes are pretty high as are taxes to license your car. I lived in Omaha for under 1-year before I got transfered to Tulsa, OK. If you buy a existing home you'll find that many are very old from 1920 and even as old as 1890. Renting a home in west Omaha may not be real easy to do, most rental homes are in eastern Omaha.. I don't know much about Elkhorn or far west Omaha.. In Tulsa where I live now many homes are are from the 1970's. Omaha is a great city, easy to get around in, good libraries that offer unlimited computer time if you have a library card. Omaha also has a great network of jogging trails. There is no tax on food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiQ View Post
Great thanks. i truly do appreciate the help. What do you think about the Pappillion / La Vista area and Schools?
Those are good schools. Just be aware that they're south of Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
 
9 posts, read 14,960 times
Reputation: 10
When you say be aware do you mean because of the longer commute or it is because of south of omaha is .. lets say a rougher area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,268,950 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiQ View Post
When you say be aware do you mean because of the longer commute or it is because of south of omaha is .. lets say a rougher area?
Papillion/la Vista schools are great, but it is quite a distance to Elkhorn.

South Omaha is a rough area, as are parts of North Omaha.

You should have no problems with Elkhorn, though.

Earlier you wrote that you were looking for a school for unwed moms? Do you mean a high school that provides day care? Or just one where a pregnant teen wouldn't be an outcast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
 
9 posts, read 14,960 times
Reputation: 10
camping, i appreciate your honesty, i honestely have no clue what i am getting in to.so all the input is a great help. let me explain i am from a mid sized city in Northern MI. and i have lived here all my life and not really been anywhere but MI. i know MI like the back of my hand.

i know that it is more of a drive from Papillion/Lav vista, what i dont know is that is considerd a rough area. We are looking for a decent place to live witha decent rent payment. And good schools.

So what part of the south and the north are rough? and what do i need to stay away from with kids..??

and yes i would like a school with a program for unwed moms and has a daycare program, but if icant find that then a school that she will becoming into very pregnant and will not be so looked down / a out cast.

thanks again for all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,268,950 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiQ View Post
camping, i appreciate your honesty, i honestely have no clue what i am getting in to.so all the input is a great help. let me explain i am from a mid sized city in Northern MI. and i have lived here all my life and not really been anywhere but MI. i know MI like the back of my hand.

i know that it is more of a drive from Papillion/Lav vista, what i dont know is that is considerd a rough area. We are looking for a decent place to live witha decent rent payment. And good schools.

So what part of the south and the north are rough? and what do i need to stay away from with kids..??

and yes i would like a school with a program for unwed moms and has a daycare program, but if icant find that then a school that she will becoming into very pregnant and will not be so looked down / a out cast.

thanks again for all the help
Hmm, I do know that Ralston High School has a daycare, but that really is not going to be very convenient for you.
I think your best bet is to call Elkhorn and Papillion/LaVista High schools directly and ask them. The school districts around here are very helpful to parents, and I think you will be happy with the help they will give you.
I don't think your daughter will be ostracized in any school -- teen pregnancy isn't all that rare, even in Nebraska. It may make it harder for her to make friends, though. I would definately call the schools, see which one gives you a better 'feel' and start working now with a school counselor in making the transition as easy and as positive as possible for your daughter.

Since your husband will be working in Elkhorn, you really shouldn't worry about any 'bad' places. The rougher areas of Omaha are in the Northeast and Southeast of the city. Far away from Elkhorn, Papillion/La Vista or Millard.
I would also contact Millard -- that is a part of Omaha that is the closest to Elkhorn. They have great schools, quite large in fact.

After talking with the three school districts, and deciding which one would be the best fit for your daughter then I would contact a realtor. I know you want to rent, but oftentimes realtors facillitate house rentals as well as sales.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,689,603 times
Reputation: 1215
Millard also has some of the most powerful sports programs in the state, Millard North particularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiQ View Post
When you say be aware do you mean because of the longer commute or it is because of south of omaha is .. lets say a rougher area?
Strictly the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
Reputation: 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiQ View Post
camping, i appreciate your honesty, i honestely have no clue what i am getting in to.so all the input is a great help. let me explain i am from a mid sized city in Northern MI. and i have lived here all my life and not really been anywhere but MI. i know MI like the back of my hand.

i know that it is more of a drive from Papillion/Lav vista, what i dont know is that is considerd a rough area. We are looking for a decent place to live witha decent rent payment. And good schools.

So what part of the south and the north are rough? and what do i need to stay away from with kids..??

and yes i would like a school with a program for unwed moms and has a daycare program, but if icant find that then a school that she will becoming into very pregnant and will not be so looked down / a out cast.

thanks again for all the help
The bad part of "North Omaha" is immediately north of the downtown. There are also a few hot-spots where there is a lot of gang & drug activity.

But "North O" gets a bad rap. For instance, my daughter is a student at Omaha North High School. Their academics there are so accelerated that she only needs to take 2 classes for the first semester of her senior year, in order to have enough credits to graduate. And when she graduates, she'll have almost 2 years of college credits at UNO (University of Nebraska-Omaha). She has not had even one single "problem" there. Nothing. Despite that, everybody talks like Omaha North High is a gang and ghetto school.

Meanwhile, they have major drug busts at the Millard High Schools - but nobody ever hears about them, because the kids' parents have enough money to hire expensive lawyers and buy silence.


I won't speak to anything about South Omaha, because I don't live in that area.


I do think you should be happy in the NW part of Omaha. Perhaps the Bennington area, or even (as I've said earlier) Fort Calhoun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,268,950 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
The bad part of "North Omaha" is immediately north of the downtown. There are also a few hot-spots where there is a lot of gang & drug activity.

But "North O" gets a bad rap. For instance, my daughter is a student at Omaha North High School. Their academics there are so accelerated that she only needs to take 2 classes for the first semester of her senior year, in order to have enough credits to graduate. And when she graduates, she'll have almost 2 years of college credits at UNO (University of Nebraska-Omaha). She has not had even one single "problem" there. Nothing. Despite that, everybody talks like Omaha North High is a gang and ghetto school.

Meanwhile, they have major drug busts at the Millard High Schools - but nobody ever hears about them, because the kids' parents have enough money to hire expensive lawyers and buy silence.


I won't speak to anything about South Omaha, because I don't live in that area.


I do think you should be happy in the NW part of Omaha. Perhaps the Bennington area, or even (as I've said earlier) Fort Calhoun.
Of course you are right, I have nephews that have attended Central and loved it and did quite well there.
But for the OP needs I did generalize. To have been more specific would have only been confusing to someone who is not familiar with the area and for someone who would not be looking in those areas anyway.

Sorry about the generalization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top