Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 16,822 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband is a US soldier and has been restationed to the omaha / elkhorn area. I am from northern MI and i have no idea what or where would be a good place to live. Or what school district to put my kids in (16 & 13). We will be renting a home and would like somthing not right in a town but more on the outskirts, or a subdivision setting. If anyone could help me with some ideas, i would greatly appreciate it. My husband is currently deployed to kuwait so i am having to do this all on my own.. I would like to move around the middle of July 09 to be settled and ready for school to start.

thanks for any help anyone can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Will your husband be commuting to Offutt every day? If so, I'd think you'd want to try to find something south of Omaha, in the Bellevue/Papillion area.

You mentioned Elkhorn, which is NW of Omaha, and would probably be about a 30 minute commute to Offutt. But if he'll be working in the Elkhorn area, and you like a more isolated setting, you might want to look at the areas around Fort Calhoun.

Shoot us just a bit more info, and we can probably be of more help.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Also let us know what your interests are, that could help with location as well.

Do you like the outdoors? Do like a small town feeling? Acreage? Do your children prefer smaller schoolers? Larger schools with more options? Are they into sports?

And for the most important question of all --- what is your price range?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Elkhorn is actually west of Omaha, not North West, and its not that far at all, I think he was thinking of Bennington. Anyway, the Millard and Papillion districts are phenomenal, Omaha Public schools are the worst but they're still good by most standards.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Elkhorn is actually west of Omaha, not North West, and its not that far at all, I think he was thinking of Bennington. Anyway, the Millard and Papillion districts are phenomenal, Omaha Public schools are the worst but they're still good by most standards.
You're right. I was thinking Bennington.

But I will take issue with your comments about the OPS schools. My daughter goes to Omaha North High School, and it is an absolutely phenomenal school.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 AM

He will be working at the new reserve center in Elkhorn. We would like a more rural setting if possible. The kids want to be in a mid sized school and yes my son wants to play sports. We love the outdoors, and have pets so a fenced back yard would be great, but not a must. acreage would be fine but agian not a must. as far as a house goes we need at least a 3bdr with 2 baths, our price range is 0-1300.00 Also do you know of any schools for pregnant teens? thanks for your help..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiQ View Post
He will be working at the new reserve center in Elkhorn. We would like a more rural setting if possible. The kids want to be in a mid sized school and yes my son wants to play sports. We love the outdoors, and have pets so a fenced back yard would be great, but not a must. acreage would be fine but agian not a must. as far as a house goes we need at least a 3bdr with 2 baths, our price range is 0-1300.00 Also do you know of any schools for pregnant teens? thanks for your help..
I think you'd be pretty happy in the Elkhorn or Bennington area. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Fort Calhoun is just north of I-680, which is the Interstate that runs around the north part of Omaha. So that'd be a pretty easy commute.

Any of those communities will have smaller schools than the Omaha Public Schools, or Millard Schools (Millard is basically West Omaha).

I'll talk to a few friends to see if they have any ideas. Also, when you say up to $1300 per month rent, are you talking about that being just the rent - and you could afford utilities on top of that - or is $1300 per month your TOTAL top end?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM

1300 is just for the rent not utilities and such. but obvioulsy we woudl prefer cheaper. Do you have any ideas as to how i can find rentals to look at on line? also i was told that the Elkhorn area is a more expensive area to be in? i will be making a trip to NE at the end of June to look around the areas so the ideas are great thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiQ View Post
1300 is just for the rent not utilities and such. but obvioulsy we woudl prefer cheaper. Do you have any ideas as to how i can find rentals to look at on line? also i was told that the Elkhorn area is a more expensive area to be in? i will be making a trip to NE at the end of June to look around the areas so the ideas are great thanks.
Generally, the further west in the Omaha area you go, the higher the prices.

One problem you might run into is that a LOT of people would like to "escape the city" by living out in the country nearby. So there's probably a fairly high demand for exactly what you want.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of an easy way to find rentals. But I'll talk it up with a bunch of friends. I'm sure they'll have some ideas.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Great thanks. i truly do appreciate the help. What do you think about the Pappillion / La Vista area and Schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha