Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 15,915 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!!

We are thinking moving out to Omaha or Lincoln. We are a latin/hispanic family with a 4 year old daughter and with other baby to come. The more important for us is the education for our kids and the economy of the city. We want a non-violent city and to live in a good neighborhood close to supermarkets and shopping malls.We don't care about clubs, concerts or anything like that. We just want to work and have a peaceful lifestyle.

I would highly appreciate any advice you can give me. And something very important to know is if the population of these cities discriminate hispanics.

Thank you!

Last edited by calisouth; 04-25-2009 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 04:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Great education, the school systems in Omaha are wonderful.
The standard of living is also good, and Omaha tends to be very family orientated.
I really don't know enough about Lincoln to comment.
The weather will be quite different from Florida. We have all four seasons, and it can be very hot and very cold with snow. Still, it really is not that bad.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 PM

do u know a good area to live?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:23 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I would suggest Millard, Papillion, and Elkhorn. This is just a small list and there are many others.

To be honest, Omaha really only has one "bad" area of town, which is "North" Omaha. The criminal activity is very isolated, however, and that's the only neighborhood that I would advise to avoid.

Were you wanting more of a suburban setting or an urban setting?

Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 PM

we would like urban setting, no to far from city.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
There are a few on here who live downtown and also in the midtown area. I live in western Omaha, which is about 30 minutes from downtown.

They could probably give you a better idea. But they always have good things to say about the area. I go downtown often but can't really comment as to what its like to live downtown.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:25 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Ignore what Matt says. He's one of those snooty Westerners! Sheesh!

Actually, I live in the "dreaded North O" part of Omaha, and absolutely love it. Actually it is a HUGE area, and honestly, it gets a bad rap. Virtually all the problems are gang and drug related, and are confined to several specific areas.

That said, if you like urban areas, there are a LOT of really cool areas in the eastern part of Omaha. Gold Coast, Midtown, Bemis Park, Dundee, etc.

What you really need to do is take a long weekend in Omaha - or better yet, a week - and get a feel for it.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Dundee sounds like a fit for you, its a gorgeous area but the schools in the area aren't the best (Except for the Elementaries) but you could have your kids transfer to Millard, Ralston, District 66 or any district in the city really.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Midtown might work.....there is more of a variey of home prices.
North and South Omaha do get a bad rap, but just make sure you get a realtor who is familiar with those areas so you don't end up in a 'bad' neighborhood.

If you don't mind me asking......what is your price range? Your interests? Those things will help in determining what parts of town would fit you best.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Midtown might work.....there is more of a variey of home prices.
North and South Omaha do get a bad rap, but just make sure you get a realtor who is familiar with those areas so you don't end up in a 'bad' neighborhood.

If you don't mind me asking......what is your price range? Your interests? Those things will help in determining what parts of town would fit you best.
I agree with Camping, though I'm not sure just how much Realtors are allowed to tell you.

Here's a dead serious offer: Since I live in North Omaha, if you are at some point looking at a home in this part of the city, send me a PM. I'll be happy to share my perspective (for what it's worth).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha